Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A confession... Immaculate Grid (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=339892)

Belfast1933 09-02-2023 08:38 AM

A confession... Immaculate Grid

I used to think I was a pretty solid baseball guy - I can win a lot of bar bets & trivia contests if baseball history is part of the scene.

But the Immaculate Grid game has knocked me down over and over and over - am I the only one who finds it to be frikken hard!

I can usually get the awards and records pretty consistently - but I guess I have never paid close attention to the random, end of career moves of many players so the "who played to the Yankees AND the Rockies" kind of trivia has been my trouble. (I should have guessed Troy Tulowitzky - doh)

My confession - I have still yet to get all nine. Oh, the shame.

DodgerMike22 09-02-2023 02:26 PM

Hey Jeff, I too considered myself a pretty solid baseball knowledge guy. But you are right. Immaculate Grid is tough! I have only completed it once and it was one where most of the categories were award/HOF/stats. The teams that guys played for always stump me as well. It is a fun game though.

clydepepper 09-02-2023 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2369458)
I used to think I was a pretty solid baseball guy - I can win a lot of bar bets & trivia contests if baseball history is part of the scene.

But the Immaculate Grid game has knocked me down over and over and over - am I the only one who finds it to be frikken hard!

I can usually get the awards and records pretty consistently - but I guess I have never paid close attention to the random, end of career moves of many players so the "who played to the Yankees AND the Rockies" kind of trivia has been my trouble. (I should have guessed Troy Tulowitzky - doh)

My confession - I have still yet to get all nine. Oh, the shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgerMike22 (Post 2369533)
Hey Jeff, I too considered myself a pretty solid baseball knowledge guy. But you are right. Immaculate Grid is tough! I have only completed it once and it was one where most of the categories were award/HOF/stats. The teams that guys played for always stump me as well. It is a fun game though.

Now, I feel even more guilty about the 'system' I use. I got too frustrated just relying on my memory banks. In my defense, I do believe that BBR wants IG participants to look up possibilities on the site. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm 67 and can hardly remember when I stopped knowing all the teams' rosters by heart. Probably around 1973...continued expansion worked great for the game...my memory, not so much.

Of course, next year, I'll be living in a world in which Stanford, UC-Berkley and SMU will be playing football in the ATLANTIC COAST Conference!

mogwai316 09-02-2023 03:05 PM

I've been playing for a couple weeks now and enjoying it, I do the MLB/NFL/NBA ones most days. It is surprising how hard it is sometimes to come up with a single player that played for both teams (and then it seems so obvious when you see the results). I usually screw it up by trying to go for someone obscure and getting it wrong when I could've just made an obvious pick, but it's fun to try to get the lowest percentages possible. I think today's was my best on MLB, all 9 correct with 36 total percent.

jayshum 09-02-2023 03:36 PM

I have the same problem trying to come up with players on multiple teams unless there's some big name player who happened to play on both. The awards and stats I can usually come up with so today's I was able to complete for a change.

BobbyStrawberry 09-02-2023 04:39 PM

I've only got it perfect once. Even today, I got 8/9 because I couldn't think of DJ LeMahieu (NYY and COL) Duh

cgjackson222 09-02-2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2369566)
I've only got it perfect once. Even today, I got 8/9 because I couldn't think of DJ LeMahieu (NYY and COL) Duh

I missed the middle square (Colorado/Yankees) too.

BobbyStrawberry 09-02-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2369570)
I missed the middle square (Colorado/Yankees) too.

I don't know what it is but I really struggle with the "who played for both teams" questions. I guess it just isn't the way I'm used to thinking as a sports fan.

Mike D. 09-02-2023 08:23 PM

It's hard enough that I'm surprised it's gone "viral" in our bigger than you think niche of baseball geeks.