Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Ty Cobb relative (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=127185)

jcmtiger 08-30-2010 09:13 AM

O/T Ty Cobb relative

I was at a picnic on Saturday and a friend there just had a knee replacement.
The surgery was performed by Ty Cobb's Great Grandson, Tyrone Cobb. Really O/T, but interesting trivia if true.

Tyrone Cobb M.D.

Specialties
Orthopaedics - Knees
Orthopaedics
Orthopaedics - Hips
Orthopaedics - Shoulders
Orthopaedics - Elbows

Joe

lharri3600 08-30-2010 09:41 AM

interesting,
i've had the pleasure talking to and selling cards to al shaw, bob groom,fred tenney's relatives over the years

bigtrain 08-30-2010 10:29 AM

Reminds me of a "true" story related to me by an old friend who married a distant Cobb relation. His wife's brother was named Ty, after their famous relative. It seems Ty and a friend of his were involved in some youthful indiscretion, playing their radio too loud in the park, disturbing the peace, something like that. The police were summoned and after getting the radio turned down, they started to question the young men about what they were doing, where they were from and the like. The officer turns to the friend and asks, "what's your name?" The smart-ass friend replies, "Babe Ruth". That put young Ty is a very tough spot with the officer until he produced his driver's license.

FUBAR 08-30-2010 11:18 AM

I sold some cards to Sean Burke, goalie for the New Jersey Devils about 12 years ago... he is a big time collector of hockey cards.

gnaz01 08-30-2010 11:31 AM

I once sold a T206 portrait to Steve Elberfeld (I think great grandson of "Kid"). Nice guy, a jeweler in the Boston area (at least he was 15+ years ago).

T206Collector 08-30-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 833008)
I once sold a T206 portrait to Steve Elberfeld (I think great grandson of "Kid"). Nice guy, a jeweler in the Boston area (at least he was 15+ years ago).

Funny -- I once ran into a great granddaughter of Kid's, who was a paralegal in Baltimore.

Steve D 08-30-2010 06:22 PM

When I was going to junior college in the early 1980s in San Diego CA, one of my classmates was the great-niece of Cap Anson. And yes, I let her get away, when I shouldn't have :(

Steve

Tabe 09-02-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 833071)
When I was going to junior college in the early 1980s in San Diego CA, one of my classmates was the great-niece of Cap Anson. And yes, I let her get away, when I shouldn't have :(

Steve

There's an older gentleman at my church that is a distant relative of Cap as well. It's apparently something of a sore subject and so he doesn't discuss it.

Tabe

IronHorse2130 09-03-2010 08:35 AM

I met my current girlfriend's parents for the first time a few months ago. I was talking to her father about baseball and he tells me that he is related to Christy Mathewson. I couldn't believe my ears. I believe his grandfather was Mathewson's brother. He knows very little about his family as his father died young. I asked my girlfriend if anyone in the family would have photos. Her aunt (her father's sister) said there are no photos of Christy but there should be some of his brother. I still have not seen anything yet. Does anyone know how many brothers/sisters Mathewson had? Their names?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 09-04-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 (Post 833802)
I met my current girlfriend's parents for the first time a few months ago. I was talking to her father about baseball and he tells me that he is related to Christy Mathewson. I couldn't believe my ears. I believe his grandfather was Mathewson's brother. He knows very little about his family as his father died young. I asked my girlfriend if anyone in the family would have photos. Her aunt (her father's sister) said there are no photos of Christy but there should be some of his brother. I still have not seen anything yet. Does anyone know how many brothers/sisters Mathewson had? Their names?

Christy had an "almost famous" brother, Henry, who got to have a cup of coffee in the bigs. His life met with tragedy early on--he died while still a very young man.