Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wow - Modern Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124051)

Matt 05-21-2010 04:48 PM

Wow - Modern Card

I was just chatting with a friend who mentioned to me he thought this card would end over $20k.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-BOWMAN-CHRO...QQcmdZViewItem

I think it's good every once and a while to get a wake-up call like that about other parts of our hobby. I couldn't fathom spending that on a card just made a few months ago, but apparently many people would.

doug.goodman 05-21-2010 04:57 PM

I've got two words for the buyer...

Brien Taylor

brickyardkennedy 05-21-2010 05:01 PM

Yes, but would you trade your entire collection for it? :D

David W 05-21-2010 05:12 PM

I wonder what this went for 8 years ago. Mark Prior

http://cgi.ebay.com/01-DONRUSS-ELITE...item56380b3cbc

Jim VB 05-21-2010 05:28 PM

There is a great line buried in the description by this seller.

"All cards are Nmt/Mt Or better unless professionally graded."

I guess that comment might sway a few votes in the grading poll. :D

Peter_Spaeth 05-21-2010 05:39 PM

I don't understand the concept of manufactured scarcity. Who cares??

Steve D 05-21-2010 05:45 PM

Let's see.....

David Clyde.....Mark Fidrych.....Mark Prior.....Kerry Wood.....Joe Jay.....Herb Score.....Todd Van Poppel.....Ben McDonald.....

Hopefully not, but you just never know.

Steve

fkw 05-21-2010 05:48 PM

Ive been watching it for a couple days now, Collector Weekly says it now has "880 watchers" on eBay.

Actually 5 out of the top 6 "Most Watched" cards are 2010 Strasburg's

FUBAR 05-21-2010 05:55 PM

I could amass a fairly decent collection for that type of money.

A few words to the buyer.... A fool and his money are soon parted! To the seller, congrats on winning a ridiculous lottery!

ichieh 05-21-2010 06:06 PM

It's all hyped. Who know, perhaps there are shill biddings

mark evans 05-21-2010 06:08 PM

Totally unreal, by my way of thinking. Even assuming Strasberg becomes a phenom (and since I share in Nats season tix, I certainly hope he does), he will sign so many cards during the next five years that I can't imagine this one retaining its value.

Perhaps it's too soon to track re-sales of high-priced insert cards with manufactured scarcity (I recall a LeBron card that sold for a small fortune), but I would suspect that their values decrease significantly over time.

Mark

barrysloate 05-21-2010 06:10 PM

Whatever this one sells for will likely be the highest price it ever achieves. It can only go down from here.

D. Bergin 05-21-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 810496)
Let's see.....

David Clyde.....Mark Fidrych.....Mark Prior.....Kerry Wood.....Joe Jay.....Herb Score.....Todd Van Poppel.....Ben McDonald.....

Hopefully not, but you just never know.

Steve

Hell, even if he became the next Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Pedro Martinez or Tom Seaver, I can't really see the justification.

God forbid he only turns into a Don Sutton, Jack Morris or Fergie Jenkins.

pgellis 05-21-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 810511)
Hell, even if he became the next Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Pedro Martinez or Tom Seaver, I can't really see the justification.

God forbid he only turns into a Don Sutton, Jack Morris or Fergie Jenkins.

I agree....over the years it was fun to speculate on upcoming talent and getting something from them early, but if you have to spend 10K for something , that is not getting him early.

Unfortunately, I have learned my lesson and if I want to add a memorabilia piece or autographed piece to my collection, they HAVE to be in the HOF or headed there.....very few exceptions. I once passed on Gale Sayers at an autograph show for Erict Rhett, TB...........what a dum dum.

GIDDY UP!

Peter_Spaeth 05-21-2010 06:40 PM

It isn't even his rookie card, I looked on ebay and he has cards from 2008. :confused::confused:

e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-STRASBUR...item335d573cdd

HRBAKER 05-21-2010 06:51 PM

I don't think this has a happy ending for whoever wins this. :eek:

whycough 05-21-2010 07:11 PM

Last Night

Saw highlights of him pitching last night in the minors: wicked stuff! Ah, no on the card. Ugly card too!:eek:

J.McMurry 05-21-2010 07:16 PM

Sounds like the second coming of Gregg Jeffries:)

mintacular 05-21-2010 07:48 PM

Hey

Hey, look at the upside, you'd get $162 eBay bucks if you win :)

jeffshep 05-21-2010 07:56 PM

1 of 1 and they can't even get the centering perfect? That thing should grade an 11, step it up Topps.

JP 05-21-2010 08:02 PM

Hasn't this piece of crap already been talked about (and moved by Leon) from this VINTAGE card forum? Honestly wouldn't pay more than $5 for it...is this being advertised by the seller in these forums?

fkw 05-21-2010 08:22 PM

Once ever few years these cards come around, its fun to watch the bidding.

Even the non 1/1 Strasburg cards (there are others too) are getting good bids.

Wonder if "Merkle" (K.O.) wins this shiny 1/1..... he has been known to win some of these newer "hype" cards in the past. Like that Gordon thing a couple years back.

PS there are 968 watchers now, how many of them are you guys :)

sportscardtheory 05-21-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP (Post 810549)
Hasn't this piece of crap already been talked about (and moved by Leon) from this VINTAGE card forum? Honestly wouldn't pay more than $5 for it...is this being advertised by the seller in these forums?

Can you say CLOSE MINDED. Quite an infantile display if you ask me.

If you wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, that would be pretty dumb considering it will sell for over $10,000.

fkw 05-21-2010 08:48 PM

Speaking of phenoms....

Here is a card that just ended, this 17 year old kid has not even been drafted yet... But he will be a great player Im sure...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Chro...mZ270579237416

if you dont know Bryce Harper, read about him

Sports Illustrated article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6215/index.htm

Strasburg wasnt even drafted out of HS!
Harper left HS 2 years early to get Drafted (next month, he will be #1).
I like the part where "he went 12 for 12 with 11 HRs and a Double"

prewarsports 05-21-2010 08:50 PM

Pretty crazy, but I would rather have that card than many of the high grade vintage PSA 9's and 10's which are trimmed. A 1965 Topps leader card sold PSA 10 for $120,000+ a few years back. That is MUCH crazier to me than the Strasburg.

Rob D. 05-21-2010 08:53 PM

Maybe the buyer will post it here, ask for opinions, say how much he's going to enjoy it, then consign it a week later to an auction house.

HRBAKER 05-21-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 810567)
Maybe the buyer will post it here, ask for opinions, say how much he's going to enjoy it, then consign it a week later to an auction house.

.....but please, not before he has it graded!

Orioles1954 05-21-2010 08:57 PM

Us pre-war collectors like to feel we call the shots in the hobby. But probably 80% or more of hobbyists are exclusively shiny.....and that's where the money's at. What's interesting to me though is that most shiny collector's I've communicated with are more open minded and appreciative of pre-war than the other way around.

4815162342 05-21-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prewarsports (Post 810566)
Pretty crazy, but I would rather have that card than many of the high grade vintage PSA 9's and 10's which are trimmed. A 1965 Topps leader card sold PSA 10 for $120,000+ a few years back. That is MUCH crazier to me than the Strasburg.

Did you type a few too many zeroes? $120,000 is crazy!

Peter_Spaeth 05-21-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Ichieh, sell that Rose and go for it, bro'. :D:D

ctownboy 05-21-2010 09:15 PM

orioles,

That is probably because a lot of people who collect pre-war cards have gotten BURNED in the past 20 years by the shiny crap. They have learned their lesson by LOSING money.

Wait 10 to 20 years and see how many of the collectors of these shiny cards are STILL collecting and then see WHAT they are collecting. My guess is that a LOT will have STOPPED collecting because they got burned by the hype and overproduction of the cards.

Imagine this Strasburg card selling for $15,000 dollars and then a year later it selling for $10,000 (or less). Imagine if a "regular" collector (not a guy like Keith Olbermann) paid the big bucks for the card thinking he would be able to sell it for a higher amount later.

It doesn't (or shouldn't, any way) take too many bad experiences like that for a collector to get burned out and either quit collecting altogether or switch to something that is enjoyable and at least holds its value better (pre-war cards, for example).

David

kmac32 05-21-2010 09:18 PM

Zzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzz

sportscardtheory 05-21-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 810569)
Us pre-war collectors like to feel we call the shots in the hobby. But probably 80% or more of hobbyists are exclusively shiny.....and that's where the money's at. What's interesting to me though is that most shiny collector's I've communicated with are more open minded and appreciative of pre-war than the other way around.

Good point. I love all cards, vintage and new. It's amusing how "snobbish" some vintage collectors can be. They act as if new stuff is just trash, even when a card from 2010 can pull $10,000. That's impressive to me, not crazy. I'll take vintage graded HOFers all day long over that Strasburg, but I'm not going to sit here and act like it's not amazing that it will get over 10-grand.

tbob 05-21-2010 10:07 PM

Two words for anyone over 40 years old: Joe Charboneau.

mark evans 05-21-2010 11:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with collecting new issues, and there's nothing wrong with someone paying $ 10,000 for a Strasburg card.

If, however, the buyer is motivated to buy the card (in whole or part) as an investment, then he hopes it will increase in value over time. I suspect that high-priced insert cards, as a rule, decrease in value over time, but that's just a guess. I would be curious to see any data regarding re-sale of these kinds of cards.

FUBAR 05-22-2010 12:11 AM

I do open some shinies now and then, if i pulled that card, i wouldn't enjoy it... id enjoy the ridiculous amounts of cash alot more, after i sold it of course.

i generally dont sell my cards, but with shiny ones, i never get too attached to most of them. With the exception of my UFC cards and my Peyton collection.

Rich Klein 05-22-2010 03:56 AM

I would say 80% is too low

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 810569)

It's probably 90-95 percent shiny; and when you go to a show, that is the only time that you see a larger percentage of vintage collectors. And of course, the catalog auctions are heavily vintage as well

Leon 05-22-2010 07:17 AM

my understanding and view

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 810603)
It's probably 90-95 percent shiny; and when you go to a show, that is the only time that you see a larger percentage of vintage collectors. And of course, the catalog auctions are heavily vintage as well

Rich- My understanding and view is that you are closer with the 95% than the 90%, as far as shiny to vintage. I would guess we (pre war) hold less than a 5% stake in collector population. However, I would guess we have more staying power.:eek: (almost went for a joke but better not)

calvindog 05-22-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Yes, those collectors of shiny cards have no soul!

Fred 05-22-2010 07:31 AM

Leon, I couldn't imagine what joke you would have went for....

From the scan that card looks like one of those early 1970s era Kelloggs 3-D cards.

Conspiracy theory - no, it's not the magic bullet theory, it's much more simple than that. Bowman (or who ever owns that company now) is placing shill bids on this card in an effor to draw attention to the auction so that people think this garbage is actually worth something. Future sales driven by mindless idiots purchasing their other products (in hopes of finding the next $20K card in a $4 pack) is the driving force behind the shill bids.

If you don't hear from me anymore then that means that the Bowman folks have sent someone over to my house to extinguish the source of their exposure... gonna be a good day... only 630AM and I'll be working on a third Martini...

M's_Fan 05-22-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffshep (Post 810545)
1 of 1 and they can't even get the centering perfect? That thing should grade an 11, step it up Topps.

Seriously, that is embarrassing they didn't get the centering right.

I would guess that there are a few test versions of this card floating around in some Bowman employee's desk, it wouldn't be a fun day for the ultimate recipient of this card if some of those surfaced...

tidbit: no #1 overall draft pick has ever won a cy young award.

ChiefBenderForever 05-22-2010 08:19 AM

When these cards come up I always think about the guy who traded/sold his whole collection in pursuit to pick up every Rick Ankiel RC numbered to 100. It was the hot card at the time and going for decent money, I wonder if he is still working on them ?

Section103 05-22-2010 09:14 AM

My $0.02 worth of pop-psychology for the day - Im going to guess (and hope) that the buyers of such items are taken in by the allure of the card, the potential of the player and the relative hobby status that comes with owning one of these "it" cards. I dont think many of these cards go to cool, calculated business men who see it as an upside-potential, retirement-setting money maker. Cool calculated business men know that anything (anywhere - Im looking at you gold buyers of the 70s, certain IPO stock buyers of the 80s, house flippers of the 00s) that has been hyped has already lost it's investment potential.

D. Bergin 05-22-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffshep (Post 810545)

Well, I guess the upside for the lucky buyer is.........even if he were to put it in his bicycle spokes, it would still be the highest graded card of it's type, extant.

;)

GrayGhost 05-22-2010 09:31 AM

Fake Scarcity is all it is. Make everyone pay big bucks to try and pull the miracle. That price is ridiculous. I do hope the kid makes it tho, and I hope to see him pitch on tv at some point this year.

Maybe its my age, and my two stages of pack opening. As a real little one starting in 69, and playing the scratchoff games w my friend in 1970 packs, and then trading the coins in 71. Later, in 78 when I got back into it, playing whiffle ball and riding my bike w my friend Chris to 7-11 and buying 78 wax packs by the handful. and constantly seeing Woody Fryman, and screaming when one of those "trophy cards" came out. haha.

Now, I still love the hobby and seeing a great item, but I see the new cards really are just "lottery now". The thrill of building a set, etc. seems to be gone. And yes, the Strasburg card itself.If I had 8000+ to spend on sports stuff, Id buy cool memorabilia or some awesome tobacco cards, not a single card that can blind you for life when the reflection off the sun hits your eyes.

2dueces 05-22-2010 10:07 AM

I hear that guy Ty Cobb is going to be something. Might want to pick up a few of his cards for that kind of money in case he makes it big. :)

teetwoohsix 05-22-2010 10:33 AM

Somebody help me on this please........is the price because of the "1 of 1",,,,,or because of the player on it,and the "1 of 1"?

I only ask because there is probably another version of this card,maybe missing one part of the shiny element,and #'d "1 of 5,000",,,,,,right?

And maybe another version,with no #'s,that may be the identical card,but worth nothing minus the serial #'s...........

Clayton

FUBAR 05-22-2010 10:42 AM

there are other versions of it, they will be slightly different, probably a different color or no refractor or something, I bet there are minimum 5 tiers of this same card. It is done in most sets, they put 1 of 1 press plates or parallels, it is a marketing tool and works very well for the card companies.

Bets card i ever pulled was a Messier Auto jersey #/ 25 which i sold on the bay for $625 usd at the time when the dollar was at .63 so around $900 cdn. Not bad for a card i won in a pack war.

sportscardtheory 05-22-2010 10:45 AM

Superfractors are the very pinnacle of modern baseball card collecting. This is the best card anyone will ever own of Strasburg. The only difference between the million+ dollar 1/1 PSA 8 T206 Wagner is the fact that Wagner is a Hall of Famer. This is peanuts compared to the Wagner. What's crazier, the fact that someone would pay over a million dollars for one card or over $10,000.

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2010 10:45 AM

Clayton you are missing the point, this is the super platinum chrome ultra refractor metal multiple orgasm 1/1 rookie card (well, third year card if you count his 08 rookie cards) of the greatest pitcher of all time (ok, he has yet to pitch an inning, but whatever).