Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinions...Real or Fake? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322667)

ullmandds 07-26-2022 08:45 AM

Opinions...Real or Fake?

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this relative obscurity on a whim. I know nothing about this 1926 memorial benefit tag supposedly given out at a game in 1926 honoring matty.

here is one that sold a few years ago.

http://feb15.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...=378&lotno=902

Does anyone know anything about these?

nat 07-26-2022 09:00 AM

I don't have any opinion about authenticity, but one notable difference between yours and the one in H&S is that yours appears to be hand-cut.

asphaltman 07-26-2022 09:02 AM

I don't know anything about this either. But looks like yours is a 2nd generation copy of the original in Huggins. The Huggins is a clean looking photo. Yours isn't to me. Also strange lines around top of the front... and yours looks very bright and white to me... I'd be skeptical but just my novice opinion on these piece.

bnorth 07-26-2022 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like a low quality copy to me also.

This is from the linked image. See how clearly the NY is. Then look at how washed out the one pictured in the thread is.

iwantitiwinit 07-26-2022 10:00 AM

I agree yours looks to be some type of copy but honestly why would someone reproduce that? Seems odd to me.

ullmandds 07-26-2022 10:02 AM

i think you guys are right...doesn't look good to me...time to avoid this seller.

bnorth 07-26-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 2245991)
I agree yours looks to be some type of copy but honestly why would someone reproduce that? Seems odd to me.

People forge $1 autographs. There are fake items from 1 cent to millions of dollars.

Eric72 07-26-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2245993)
i think you guys are right...doesn't look good to me...time to avoid this seller.

Avoiding the seller makes sense. About whom should we be concerned?

philliesfan 07-26-2022 12:32 PM

My first impression was also a fake / reproduction / reprint. And after hearing others explanations, I am more convinced. However, I am no way an expert. Just my thought.

Why would anyone fake something like that? Simple. Money. There are counterfeit 20 dollar bills, 100 dollar bills and ever counterfeit quarters, dimes and nickels. More attention or concern or skepticism is given to larger denominations so criminals also fake the low dollar items with less fear of being caught.

Bob

ullmandds 07-26-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2246030)
Avoiding the seller makes sense. About whom should we be concerned?

think they may be on here...sell predominantly on facebook live auctions. The fact they routinely sell the square cornered "bond bread" look alikes as authentic bond breads should've been a clue to me.

Been ripped off more the last 2 years than the previous 20. It's disheartening.

bigfanNY 07-26-2022 05:19 PM

I have owned a couple of these over the years and I don't like this one.

Casey2296 07-26-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2246038)
think they may be on here...sell predominantly on facebook live auctions. The fact they routinely sell the square cornered "bond bread" look alikes as authentic bond breads should've been a clue to me.

Been ripped off more the last 2 years than the previous 20. It's disheartening.

Sorry about that Pete, more people with less integrity around these days.

G1911 07-26-2022 05:46 PM

If they’re selling fakes, name them.

FrankWakefield 07-27-2022 06:46 AM

I have no faith in the authenticity of that.

It doesn't look old, it looks worn. The hole isn't worn, seems to me if it had that much wear, there'd be a tear in the hole where the string would have pulled out. Some of the edges look recently cut with a straight edge blade; seems to me that the originals would have been punched out. And I agree with the image comments above.

As always, uv light would be helpful to see if it fluoresces.

steve B 07-27-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2246035)
My first impression was also a fake / reproduction / reprint. And after hearing others explanations, I am more convinced. However, I am no way an expert. Just my thought.

Why would anyone fake something like that? Simple. Money. There are counterfeit 20 dollar bills, 100 dollar bills and ever counterfeit quarters, dimes and nickels. More attention or concern or skepticism is given to larger denominations so criminals also fake the low dollar items with less fear of being caught.

Bob

That's for sure.

The Stamp club got a huge donaton of several boxes of stuff.
Including over 150 faked first day covers. Someone scanned real ones photoshopped out the stamp, printed them on modern envelopes and added a real stamp.
What's funny is that first day covers from the big manufacturers are currently the junk wax of the stamp world. Probably 5 cents each in bulk. Each of these had at least a 4cent stamp that could be used as postage. A few had 8 cent stamps.
File under fakery as a way of losing money....