Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for Sports Card Show Guidance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331681)

SyrNy1960 02-14-2023 08:11 AM

Looking for Sports Card Show Guidance

I will be going to my first Sports Card Show in more than 20 years; this month in Virginia Beach, VA.

Back in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, I knew all of the local card shop owners and most of the card show dealers, so it was easy to bargain on prices and get some really good deals. Also, cards back then weren't as expensive as they are today, so it was easy to bargain on price. Back then, it was about collecting. Today, it's about the all-mighty dollar; which makes me clueless how things work at card shows these days.

I've seen a lot of post on multiple sites stating what jerks many of the card show dealers are; overpriced and won't budge on prices.

What is realistic and what should I expect when trying to bargain on price?

I'm sure if it's a popular and a highly in-demand card, not much room to bargain, if at all.

Thanks,

Tony "A Fish Out of Water"

bobbyw8469 02-14-2023 08:19 AM

Some dealers price stuff realistically. Some don't budge. I suggest sticking with the realistic ones. In this day and age, it is easy to see comps.

Metsfan0507 02-14-2023 08:24 AM

Jumping on this thread to ask a follow up question: what kind of payment is typically expected by vendors? Do they take credit cards/venmo/paypal, or is cash king? Are there sometimes cash discounts?

Jewish-collector 02-14-2023 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If a dealer (for a card for sale) says in a mean tone, "Let me see what I have into it", you respond to them, "I don't care what the the hell you have into it" Attachment 557531

Lobo Aullando 02-14-2023 08:35 AM

Cash is always king, but I've paid by all those methods. Of course, it depends on the dealer, but enough of them want to make as many transactions as possible that most of them will take different ways. They will usually tack on 3% for credit, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metsfan0507 (Post 2314351)
Jumping on this thread to ask a follow up question: what kind of payment is typically expected by vendors? Do they take credit cards/venmo/paypal, or is cash king? Are there sometimes cash discounts?

parkplace33 02-14-2023 09:08 AM

I have a few rules of cards shows:

1. Cash is king. While dealers may make exceptions for higher dollar cards, you need to bring cash.

2. You don't have to buy anything. I have seen many a collector get to a show, see nothing they want/prices too high and then settle and have to buy something.

3. Ask dealers if they have anything else (besides what is on the table). Dealers can't display everything and may keep some stuff under the table/in boxes.

4. If you see an item that you want and it is a fair price, buy it immediately. Don't get into the "circle back" mentality. It may not be there when you return.

5. Remember that dealers are selling cards. If you think a dealers prices are too high, no problem, move along. But don't get into a disagreement over prices. Never ask this question "why are you asking x price".

Snapolit1 02-14-2023 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2314349)
Some dealers price stuff realistically. Some don't budge. I suggest sticking with the realistic ones. In this day and age, it is easy to see comps.

Yeah, just make sure you are looking at Ebay SOLD prices and not crazy ass eBay ASKING prices. Usually a big difference.

boysblue 02-14-2023 10:57 AM

2. You don't have to buy anything. I have seen many a collector get to a show, see nothing they want/prices too high and then settle and have to buy something.

^^^^^^^ This is good advice.

And I recommend the polite and respectful approach. Good luck and, most of all, enjoy the show.

timzcardz 02-14-2023 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2314370)

4. If you see an item that you want and it is a fair price, buy it immediately. Don't get into the "circle back" mentality. It may not be there when you return.

On the flip side, the "circle back" mentality can save you a lot of money.

Don't ask how I know. ;)

steve B 02-14-2023 11:59 AM

I'm probably odd in usually not trying to bargain. But then I'm more opportunistic, so I'll often buy somewhat random stuff. To me, if it's too much I don't bother, if it's about right and I really want it I'll buy, sometimes even if it's a bit overpriced.
If I think the prices are a good deal I just buy it.

Most dealers who have things priced on the low side already simply give me a little off without me asking.

The ones that make me crazy are ones that do stuff like have a $1 box, with cards priced up to 5-10 but in the same box have the cards priced as marked with nothing to indicate which is which.

nebboy 02-14-2023 12:13 PM

I always ask about if they have any prewar not on table or who the know that does. Made a few good buys from guys that had some but did care about old card so sold just to rid of it. Also I check entire show over and then comeback to tables of interest. Most shows I walk away with nothing. But love the search.

Johnny630 02-14-2023 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 2314433)
On the flip side, the "circle back" mentality can save you a lot of money.

Don't ask how I know. ;)

Maybe but you may also lose out on the card you wanted.

RCMcKenzie 02-14-2023 12:55 PM

Do y'all tip the dealers? I guess they have those portable credit card machines like at coffee shops where they ask you if you want to tip 15%, 20%, or 30% before you can access the screen to purchase an item.

In case you see a T206 Lumley at a show, you'll need to have 8 large ready, which is a lot of dough to be stumbling across an NFL parking lot with.

rugbymarine 02-14-2023 03:00 PM

My thoughts from the Philly Show for the last year and a half:

1) Bring cash. I assume some dealers will take electronic payments, but cash just makes everything easier.

2) Be polite. From what I've seen and heard, the bad experiences people reference stem from someone being rude.

3) From my experience, prices are buffed 20-40% over recent online sale comparisons. In 5 trips around the Philly Show (30-40 hours of walking and browsing), I've seen exactly 1 card that was a priced as a bargain. In general, dealers know that they're asking above comparable sales and are almost always willing to bargain if you follow Rule #2.

4) Don't be afraid to make offers. The worst thing that can happen is they say no, but don't forget Rule #2 when negotiating.

5) Have a way to protect valuables (cash, cards, etc). Some use those big cases, but make sure you are mindful of your surroundings.

6) Kind of goes along with Rule #2, but be respectful of the dealer's time and space. Don't interrupt if they're talking to someone. I also try not to set anything down on their display cases, unless it's absolutely necessary and I ask first.

JollyElm 02-14-2023 03:56 PM

As everyone has said, be polite and respectful...but always keep one foot pointed toward the next table to make an easy getaway. :rolleyes:

You'll generally run into two basic types of sellers: the somewhat flexible guy who you can work with on price a bit (or maybe a lot?), and the SHARK who's there to Always Be Closing. His prices (if he even has price stickers on the cards you're looking at) will be in the stratosphere to begin with and there's no room for negotiation. Even if he were to move down in price a lot, it would still be 200% higher than anywhere else. Flee him.

If a card you're looking for is available at a nice price, buy it. You can attempt to get the seller to come down a bit, but if it's already in the right neighborhood, don't pass it up, because the next collector who sees it WILL buy it. Regret sucks!

Oh, have fun!! :D

SyrNy1960 02-15-2023 05:27 AM

Thank you all for the great comments, advice, and recommendations. Truly appreciate it!

Tony (A Fish Now Back In The Water)

savedfrommyspokes 02-15-2023 05:34 AM

Bundle: If you see a single item that a price can't be agreed upon, try adding additional items to your prospective deal and see if the seller wont discount more on multiple items versus just a single item.

SyrNy1960 02-15-2023 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 2314765)
Bundle: If you see a single item that a price can't be agreed upon, try adding additional items to your prospective deal and see if the seller wont discount more on multiple items versus just a single item.

Oh yeah, the Frank Fritz bundle. Thanks!!

StraightRaceCards 02-15-2023 09:05 AM

Show Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 2314454)
I always ask about if they have any prewar not on table or who the know that does. Made a few good buys from guys that had some but did care about old card so sold just to rid of it. Also I check entire show over and then comeback to tables of interest. Most shows I walk away with nothing. But love the search.

Great advice!

I’m a card show newbie as well, the first show I went to last year, I forgot cash and the dealer only wanted cash. Luckily, a n54 member saw me and spotted me the cash and I picked up my Marquard!

Looking forward to the next one in Dallas.

question- at what age did folks start bringing their kids? My boys are not old enough (toddlers), but in a few years it seems like a great way to immerse them in this wonderful hobby!

Matt

notfast 02-15-2023 09:16 AM

Just be a normal person.

I know this is hard for majority of society today but if you are honest and say what you want/mean, you will get somewhere with 99.9% of the world.

And cash is king.

steve B 02-15-2023 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 2314479)
Do y'all tip the dealers? I guess they have those portable credit card machines like at coffee shops where they ask you if you want to tip 15%, 20%, or 30% before you can access the screen to purchase an item.

In case you see a T206 Lumley at a show, you'll need to have 8 large ready, which is a lot of dough to be stumbling across an NFL parking lot with.

That would be a total deal breaker.

icollectDCsports 02-15-2023 12:29 PM

Even if you don't find anything to buy (and prepare yourself for that possibility), just enjoy being around all of it -- the stuff and fellow collectors. Worst case is that you have fun doing that.

G1911 02-15-2023 01:33 PM

If I don’t know the seller, I negotiate. Few are unwilling to take a fair offer, and most I find are priced a bit high with this in mind. Some dealers are just unreasonable and disconnected from the market, and will not sell at a reasonable price. When they reach for a Beckett and quote a NM price for the VG card in their case, wish them a nice day and move along.

If I know the seller, I know the price discount range they work in and if that range will make a particular card work for both of us. One I just pick the cards I want, he tells me how much, and I pay him whatever he says because I know he is more than fair to me (only dealer who has sold me cards for less than I’ve offered because my offer was too much in his eye) and I trust him. I pay a tad bit higher at shows than online because it is 0 risk and I can see the card. Sometimes it’s worth paying 5% more on item X as part of a deal to get Y and Z along with it.

If I’m buying junk or commons, I offer to buy a lot at a steeper discount because it’s junk they really just want to get rid of. Nobody has yet turned me down for offering 50% of the sticker list price when buying bulk junk wax and factory sets. Quality material, there is obviously less room to go low and you can’t do this.

I never offer a price that is unfair, even if we don’t make a deal I make sure my offer is within normal selling prices and not a lowball. This one deal may not work out, but not trying to cheat anyone or rip them off makes them willing to try again on another item at the next show. The amount of guys I’ve seen offering $20 for Mantles is amazing.

Gorditadogg 02-15-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2314876)
If I don’t know the seller, I negotiate. Few are unwilling to take a fair offer, and most I find are priced a bit high with this in mind. Some dealers are just unreasonable and disconnected from the market, and will not sell at a reasonable price. When they reach for a Beckett and quote a NM price for the VG card in their case, wish them a nice day and move along.

If I know the seller, I know the price discount range they work in and if that range will make a particular card work for both of us. One I just pick the cards I want, he tells me how much, and I pay him whatever he says because I know he is more than fair to me (only dealer who has sold me cards for less than I’ve offered because my offer was too much in his eye) and I trust him. I pay a tad bit higher at shows than online because it is 0 risk and I can see the card. Sometimes it’s worth paying 5% more on item X as part of a deal to get Y and Z along with it.

If I’m buying junk or commons, I offer to buy a lot at a steeper discount because it’s junk they really just want to get rid of. Nobody has yet turned me down for offering 50% of the sticker list price when buying bulk junk wax and factory sets. Quality material, there is obviously less room to go low and you can’t do this.

I never offer a price that is unfair, even if we don’t make a deal I make sure my offer is within normal selling prices and not a lowball. This one deal may not work out, but not trying to cheat anyone or rip them off makes them willing to try again on another item at the next show. The amount of guys I’ve seen offering $20 for Mantles is amazing.

These are great rules to follow. A good rule of thumb for me is the heavier or bulkier the item is, the bigger the discount I ask for. Selling those items make packing up so much easier.