Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC Auction Ending Tonight - Interesting Results (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273449)

Rhotchkiss 09-10-2019 08:35 PM

PWCC Auction Ending Tonight - Interesting Results

Seems to me that prices so far are very low. Currently, I am not bidding with them. But I have been watching the auction, and each of these lots finished way below recent sales: E90-1 Cobb PSA 5; T206 Matty dark cap PSA 6; T206 Young with glove SGC 6; E98 Cobb PSA 9, which ended at $20,900. This last one is particularly noteworthy bc, according to VCP, this is at least $5000 less than any E98 Cobb PSA 9 has sold for since at least 2013; it’s $10k less than the same exact card “sold” for a month ago in a PWCC auction; and almost every sale since 2013 has been $30k+

Is this just a down auction or is all this “stuff” taking it’s toll on PWCC. Thoughts?

pcoz 09-10-2019 08:41 PM

Ryan, you could be on to something with PWCC, but I don’t think the time of the year helps either. After the National, a bunch of big auction houses have had their auctions finish up recently, and thousands of lots have just wiped out many bank accounts. Every year this Aug-Sept period appears a bit soft to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 09-10-2019 08:46 PM

Maybe people will stop consigning. It would be well deserved.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-10-2019 09:14 PM

Maybe counsel has advised them that shill bidding during an investigation is a bad look...

Ronnie73 09-10-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1915910)
Maybe counsel has advised them that shill bidding during an investigation is a bad look...

That's what I was thinking. There was no where near the same amount of last second bidding like there usually is.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 06:32 AM

Auction

I guess, I would agree with Ryan that the prices seemed low last night. I also think that Petes comment about the timing of the auction / people being tapped out has merit. As for the PSA 9 E98 Cobb, I think that card would have reached 35k plus in other auctions as they have been bringing nearly 40 in other major auctions recently. People consigning items should go where they can get the best price for their item. 1 + 1 still equals 2, right?

ullmandds 09-11-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1915951)
I guess, I would agree with Ryan that the prices seemed low last night. I also think that Petes comment about the timing of the auction / people being tapped out has merit. As for the PSA 9 E98 Cobb, I think that card would have reached 35k plus in other auctions as they have been bringing nearly 40 in other major auctions recently. People consigning items should go where they can get the best price for their item. 1 + 1 still equals 2, right?

perhaps your opinion on the cobb is biased?

BigBeerGut 09-11-2019 06:40 AM

Do not forget the FOOTBALL factor September is a bad month to sell Baseball.

iowadoc77 09-11-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1915952)
perhaps your opinion on the cobb is biased?

My thoughts exactly. Always different when one has skin in the game

calvindog 09-11-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1915951)

I think the E98 Cobb didn’t receive a higher bid is because most collectors are concerned that tomorrow another 100 pristine Cobbs could show up — which brings all sorts of questions including relating to authenticity of these high grade E98s. And why spend 30K on a card like that when you can spend it on a rare Cobb which will stay rare? I’ve got an extensive Cobb collection and for these reasons I’d never buy a high grade E98 Cobb.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 07:01 AM

Cobb

I respect your opinion and your Cobb collection, but I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing another batch of high end E98 cards. And yes, I am a bit biased on the E98 Cobb. Also VERY happily to have one and I'm not alone. I think the next time that a 9 is offered in a non-PWCC auction it is close to 40. Beautiful cards IMO.

calvindog 09-11-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1915961)
I respect your opinion and your Cobb collection, but I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing another batch of high end E98 cards. And yes, I am a bit biased on the E98 Cobb. Also VERY happily to have one and I'm not alone. I think the next time that a 9 is offered in a non-PWCC auction it is close to 40. Beautiful cards IMO.

40????? Not even close to 30. The only way that card reaches 40 is if the starting bid is 40 - and just one person pulls the trigger.

ullmandds 09-11-2019 07:18 AM

not to hijack this thread...or beat on anyone...but according to VCP e98 cobb psa9 is trending lower than in the past.

With the current scandal rocking the hobby the mentality that everything just keeps going up over time will be shown to be untrue...imho of course.

Leon 09-11-2019 07:25 AM

Definitely not true.
Actually, except for conspiracy theorists there is no authenticity question on the Black Swamp cards. The rest of the stuff I agree with and have almost always gone for rarity over condition.
I have held off bidding on some cards due to the scandal. I can't imagine collecting high grade stuff after what has been shown. But many, if not most collectors, have stuck their head in the sand or don't care if they have high grade altered cards in their collections. Personally it would bug me.

There could be several factors as to why PWCC isn't getting the prices right now. We all know what they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1915956)
I think the E98 Cobb didn’t receive a higher bid is because most collectors are concerned that tomorrow another 100 pristine Cobbs could show up — which brings all sorts of questions including relating to authenticity of these high grade E98s. And why spend 30K on a card like that when you can spend it on a rare Cobb which will stay rare? I’ve got an extensive Cobb collection and for these reasons I’d never buy a high grade E98 Cobb.

KMayUSA6060 09-11-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1915963)
not to hijack this thread...or beat on anyone...but according to VCP e98 cobb psa9 is trending lower than in the past.

With the current scandal rocking the hobby the mentality that everything just keeps going up over time will be shown to be untrue...imho of course.

I think the scandal affects the higher grade stuff more than anything else due to skepticism.

frankbmd 09-11-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1915967)
I think the scandal effects the higher grade stuff more than anything else due to skepticism.

You say it effects,

I say it affects.

Let’s call the whole thing off.:D

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2019 08:03 AM

Fred and Ginger on roller skates -- classic.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 08:15 AM

I need to agree with Leon on this one. The BSW cards have provenance...if one wants to purchase a high grade card, now more than ever provenance is important. My reason for picking one up while I was able. And yes, I think close to 40k in the next non-PWCC auctions for a PSA 9...I think the average sale for BSF 9s is in the 35k to 38k range based on past PSA 9 sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1915964)
Definitely not true.
Actually, except for conspiracy theorists there is no authenticity question on the Black Swamp cards. The rest of the stuff I agree with and have almost always gone for rarity over condition.
I have held off bidding on some cards due to the scandal. I can't imagine collecting high grade stuff after what has been shown. But many, if not most collectors, have stuck their head in the sand or don't care if they have high grade altered cards in their collections. Personally it would bug me.

There could be several factors as to why PWCC isn't getting the prices right now. We all know what they are.

KMayUSA6060 09-11-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1915973)
You say it effects,

I say it affects.

Excuse my millennial brain. To hell with the English language and its complications. This is why we make things simpler by leaving out letters and using acronyms. So thx 4 correcting me. FWIW, I learned sumthing. :o ;)

frankbmd 09-11-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1915973)
You say it effects,

I say it affects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1915982)
Excuse my millennial brain. To hell with the English language and its complications. This is why we make thing simpler by leaving out letters and using acronyms. So thx 4 correcting me. FWIW, I learned sumthing. :o ;)

My post had the intended effect.:D

ullmandds 09-11-2019 08:35 AM

I also do not question the authenticity of the BST cards...just the value based on plentifulness!

Rarity over grade anyday everyday in my book!!!!!!

calvindog 09-11-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1915981)
I need to agree with Leon on this one. The BSW cards have provenance...if one wants to purchase a high grade card, now more than ever provenance is important. My reason for picking one up while I was able. And yes, I think close to 40k in the next non-PWCC auctions for a PSA 9...I think the average sale for BSF 9s is in the 35k to 38k range based on past PSA 9 sales.

Ethan, with all respect, and I'm not trying to harsh your buzz, but the card went for under 21K because that's what it's worth. Maybe on a good day it's worth 25K? Had your SGC 9.5 been won in a bidding war I'd tend to have more empathy for your argument but you were the only one who bid on it -- for a reason. No one else wanted it at 36K -- for a reason. Unlike you, additionally, I have no personal financial bias for my argument, i.e. I wasn't the sole bidder on the card which makes up the bulk of my collection.

drcy 09-11-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1915910)

Maybe the shillers are not consigning.

drcy 09-11-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1915994)
Ethan, with all respect, and I'm not trying to harsh your buzz, but the card went for under 21K because that's what it's worth.

That may be what people here are saying. In this hobby, cards often don't sell, or "sell", for what they are worth.

I haven't trusted, or at least take with a large grain of salt, hobby "final prices realized at auction" for a long, long time. Beyond artificially raised prices due to shilling and valuations based on these artificially high or false prices, we all know that VCP and other 'price realized' lists include "sales" where there was no sale. And, with the current scandal, the hobby is realizing that, even if there was a sale, they can't even be sure what was sold-- though they sometimes find out the next week on BO.

Fake cards, or fake grade cards as in the case of the current scandal, can affect the market values of the cards that are known and proven to be real. Fro Joy Ruths are perhaps the best example. We know which Fro Joy Ruths are genuine, but all the past confusion has been "institutionalized" into the book and market prices. When sellers have to give each every potential bidder a history lesson, two-page essay and links to further reading to explain that "this PSA 9 is considered genuine but those others we don't know about and some are probably false and, to be candid, there are serious and widespread questions in the hobby as to whether PSA can even identify if a card is altered or not," the market value for PSA 9s across the board will be affected.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 10:19 AM

Are you suggesting that the PSA 9 E98 that sold last night in PWCC might not be authentic? If so, I disagree. Back to Pete's point, there were two other major auctions taking place when I picked up my 9.5, so potential bidders could have been tapped out or committed to other cards. Either way, I'm happy with my card and would likely have paid more for it if I had to. If you look around, I think that you will find that the high grade Ty Cobb E98s have sold recently in the $37,500 range...you can disagree with me, but my opinion is that they will continue to be sought after by collectors in the right auctions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1915956)

Rhotchkiss 09-11-2019 10:29 AM

Let’s get back to the generally low prices of the pwcc auction and off the specific e98 Cobb.

Jeff, I just shot you an email on a totally unrelated (fun card stuff) matter.

calvindog 09-11-2019 11:05 AM

David, fake sales prices are usually high ones, not low ones like the E98 last night.

And Ethan, no, I think the PSA 9 that sold last night is authentic. I just think high end E98s are not for everyone with money because of the huge populations in high grades. It's just not that special a card to everyone for that reason. The important thing is you love your card and that's all that should matter, no need to flog it here.

Johnny630 09-11-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1916027)
Let’s get back to the generally low prices of the pwcc auction and off the specific e98 Cobb.

Jeff, I just shot you an email on a totally unrelated (fun card stuff) matter.

Exactly...... the tide is turning over there.... the so called market, developed by them, in the general/grand scheme of things is set up perfectly for a major pull back.......

RedsFan1941 09-11-2019 12:00 PM

expect more black swamp cards to hit the market for the first time in the coming months and years. this isn’t an opinion. it doesn’t question the authenticity of any of the bsf cards. it just means they are many more of them than was disclosed at the time of the find. nothing wrong with that either.

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1916057)
expect more black swamp cards to hit the market for the first time in the coming months and years. this isn’t an opinion. it doesn’t question the authenticity of any of the bsf cards. it just means they are many more of them than was disclosed at the time of the find. nothing wrong with that either.

I have heard the same thing, that the family, or perhaps it was only some family members, held a large portion back. I guess these finds can be a double edged sword. I recall there was a huge find of high number 52 Bowmans at one point that drove prices way down.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 01:02 PM

Bsf

My understanding is that all BSF cards have now been graded by SGC or PSA. There was another wave of them -- I believe from a family member that held their portion of the cards back. That said, some BSF cards (like others) will move back and forth from SGC and PSA holders. If you think about it, the high grade E98 cards, even post BSF are quite rare compared to many collectible issues out there.

It will be interesting to see how PWCC auctions fair in the coming months.

ullmandds 09-11-2019 01:18 PM

Frank oh frank!!

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1916067)
My understanding is that all BSF cards have now been graded by SGC or PSA. There was another wave of them -- I believe from a family member that held their portion of the cards back. That said, some BSF cards (like others) will move back and forth from SGC and PSA holders. If you think about it, the high grade E98 cards, even post BSF are quite rare compared to many collectible issues out there.

It will be interesting to see how PWCC auctions fair in the coming months.

22 PSA 9s (Cobb) is quite rare??? Compared to what?

calvindog 09-11-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1916080)

1979 Topps
1980 Topps
1981 Topps

pokerplyr80 09-11-2019 02:21 PM

I thought 9k for the e90-1 Cobb psa 5 was about where I expected to end. I certainly wouldn't say way below market value. There is another that's been sitting at just under 11k on ebay.

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 02:28 PM

Just saying the post BSF combined population report for all (color variations) E98 Cobbs is 139...pretty rare considered to the combined population of his T-206 cards, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1916083)
1979 Topps
1980 Topps
1981 Topps

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-11-2019 02:52 PM

yes, but the percentage of that 139 that is high grade is crazy compared to the percentage of T206. Coupled with the lower demand (and believe it or not the BSF cratered overall demand for the set) and it's just a tough spot economically for the top end cards. When a set has no graded examples over 6, and then suddenly the total population triples and nearly ALL the new cards are OVER 6 it's not great. I know a few guys who had completed, or were working on sets who got out of them after BSF because their PSA 4 average sets were now pointless.

Rhotchkiss 09-11-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1916093)
I thought 9k for the e90-1 Cobb psa 5 was about where I expected to end. I certainly wouldn't say way below market value. There is another that's been sitting at just under 11k on ebay.

The one on eBay is wicked diamond cut, regardless of grade. And the only PSA 5 sale since 2018 was a pretty one in memory lane for just under $10.9k. Perhaps $8900 is not way below market, but there is no way either the consignor or pwcc is happy with that result.

drcy 09-11-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1916039)
David, fake sales prices are usually high ones, not low ones like the E98 last night.

That's exactly what I said (or implied).

The strikingly low auction price(s) may be because it's a real, honest sale without the common hobby "bells and whistles" (euphemism).

Leon 09-11-2019 03:17 PM

The set had many examples graded above a 6 before the find. Not a lot and they were rare. But I know of at least one set that probably averaged 7 or so...before the find.

However, depending on how things go the BSF cards might gain some steam because of their provenance and all of the fraudulently altered cards in high grade holders without provenance except back to Moser types. So maybe really high grade unaltered cards, in holders or not, will be more valuable in the future. I am not the only doubting Thomas concerning high grade vintage in numerical holders. Eventually I will get a BSF card because I want one. The time hasn't been right yet and I doubt I get a very expensive one either. I would like it nicely centered though. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1916098)
yes, but the percentage of that 139

that is high grade is crazy compared to the percentage of T206. Coupled with the lower demand (and believe it or not the BSF cratered overall demand for the set) and it's just a tough spot economically for the top end cards. When a set has no graded examples over 6, and then suddenly the total population triples and nearly ALL the new cards are OVER 6 it's not great. I know a few guys who had completed, or were working on sets who got out of them after BSF because their PSA 4 average sets were now pointless.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-11-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1916106)
The set had many examples graded above a 6 before the find. Not a lot and they were rare. But I know of at least one set that probably averaged 7 or so...before the find.

However, depending on how things go the BSF cards might gain some steam because of their provenance and all of the fraudulently altered cards in high grade holders without provenance except back to Moser types. So maybe really high grade unaltered cards, in holders or not, will be more valuable in the future. I I am the only doubting Thomas concerning high grade vintage in numerical holders. Eventually I will get a BSF card because I want one. The time hasn't been right yet and I doubt I get a very expensive one either. I would like it nicely centered though. :)

Not sure where I heard that the highest grade pre was a "6" but shame on me for passing it along unresearched.

Republicaninmass 09-11-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1915981)

Sure, riddle me this. Why were they so miscut, when not a single example had ever surfaced before nor after bearing this trait?

barrysloate 09-11-2019 04:29 PM

I predicted in another thread that this Cobb would sell for quite a bit less than its last auction appearance, so I am not surprised at all. There are simply too many BSF cards, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the appearance is the same ones keep being offered for sale again and again. When was the last time anyone has seen a major auction without multiple BSF cards? There seems to be a never ending supply, and the market is burned out.

Add to that the possibility that the family held back a lot more E98's, and you can see why prices are going down. There is no sense of these being rare. Instead, they are seen by many as The Black Swamp Glut.

trambo 09-11-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1916080)

1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies
1990 Sportflics (any)

drcy 09-11-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trambo (Post 1916122)
1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies
1990 Sportflics (any)

Sportflix??? No!!!!!!!!! I was told mine was the only one!

LincolnVT 09-11-2019 05:46 PM

Bsf

So, let me try offer some perspective. There are 139 (combined pop SGC and PSA) E98 Cobb cards and 136 (combined pop SGC and PSA) 1914 Cracker Jack cards...someone else in this thread has said that maybe 22 or so of the E98 Cobbs were mint+...if the same find applied to another issue like the "rare" 1914 CJ Cobb is it safe to say that people wouldn't be clamoring to get a high graded example? Or is it that people just don't like the pose of the E98. Lol.

To each their own. I love having a piece of what I see as a once in a lifetime find. The cards are stunning to hold in hand. I think I've said my piece on this topic...

Cheers!

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1916109)
Sure, riddle me this. Why were they so miscut, when not a single example had ever surfaced before nor after bearing this trait?

Theory?

Republicaninmass 09-11-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1916143)
Theory?

Cast offs? No clue but it always seemed strange most these examples are unique in that way

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1916144)
Cast offs? No clue but it always seemed strange most these examples are unique in that way

A run that was rejected perhaps, and now people are paying 50K for one.:D

Republicaninmass 09-11-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1916145)
A run that was rejected perhaps, and now people are paying 50K for one.:D

Aint that a kick in the rear! I always felt the real nice centered minor HOFers in psa 9 would eventually see a spike in price.