Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ted Williams -full PSA and Green Diamond? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262788)

Case12 12-01-2018 08:15 AM

Ted Williams -full PSA and Green Diamond?

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go ahead and buy this one. 16x20 pre rookie, already framed. It seems like a post surgery auto. What do you all think? Hope it's real. It's really cool.

Case12 12-01-2018 12:38 PM

Would really respect opinion. Authentic? I did my best after reading past comments.

Kco 12-01-2018 11:35 PM

Auto is good

shelly 12-02-2018 11:18 AM

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):D:D

Case12 12-02-2018 01:08 PM

Thanks all. I really like this one!

sycks22 12-02-2018 05:03 PM

The photo was when he was with the Minneapolis Millers. I've owned the same photo/size before. The Green Diamond autos are good

Case12 12-03-2018 07:37 AM

Thanks. I like it a lot. Cool history.

shelly 12-03-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 1832426)
The photo was when he was with the Minneapolis Millers. I've owned the same photo/size before. The Green Diamond autos are good

Not at the very end when John Henry forged a ton of crap:mad:

Kco 12-04-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1832743)

Many people don’t know this, but at least it’s easy enough to Discern the JH from the genuine Ted signatures.

robbieg 12-04-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kco (Post 1832868)
Many people don’t know this, but at least it’s easy enough to Discern the JH from the genuine Ted signatures.

Is there a good place to view JH vs. authentic Williams signatures?

Steve D 12-04-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbieg (Post 1832883)

+1

The JH forgeries are what have kept me far away from Green Diamond stuff.

Steve

bnorth 12-04-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1832743)

Quote:

Or even better is there a place to buy one cheap? Yes I collect weird stuff.:D

guy3050 12-04-2018 08:38 PM

Opinion on this one

I purchased this in the mid 90's , what do you guys think

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4850/...0b5d26db79.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1180 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4841/...7b1a2e813e.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1181 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

Mr. Zipper 12-05-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

I believe this is an urban myth. I've seen these allegations for years, yet when asked for proof, no one has ever produced an example of a John Henry signed Green Diamond "Ted Williams."

Some time ago I asked the major TPAs and they do not believe that John Henry signed any Green Diamond material.

But, I believe I know how this myth started...

Back in the 1990s at a card show, John Henry was boasting to a small group of dealers that he could sign Ted's name. John Henry then proceeded to show how well he could do it and he signed "Ted Williams" on a slip of paper.

I have seen that slip of paper. It was a poor forgery that would not fool anyone familiar with Ted's signature. John Henry could not deceptively sign Ted's signature.

I believe this myth sprang from this incident when John Henry was bullsh1tt1ng a group of guys. Over time it evolved into "John Henry was a master forger and he signed Green Diamond photos."

If someone can produce examples of JH forgeries, I will be all ears and willing to re-evaluate. I have no skin in the game either way. Until then, I think it's just all talk.

shelly 12-05-2018 09:37 AM

Not true Steve. John Henry and his girlfriend sold hundreds of pieces after his dad died. I know that both PSA and JSA turned down most of the items that came out after his death.
The problem with finding such pieces is they are not on the market place.
Steve, having a sticker from Green Diamond does not make a piece authentic.
I never thought that John Henry did the forgery. In fact the only bad pieces where photos not baseballs.

Mr. Zipper 12-05-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1833134)
Not true Steve. John Henry and his girlfriend sold hundreds of pieces after his dad died. I know that both PSA and JSA turned down most of the items that came out after his death.
The problem with finding such pieces is they are not on the market place.
Steve, having a sticker from Green Diamond does not make a piece authentic.
I never thought that John Henry did the forgery. In fact the only bad pieces where photos not baseballs.

Are you confident in your source on this?

One of the TPAs you mentioned specifically told me they never failed a Green Diamond and did not believe JH signed for Ted.

Ryan1125 12-05-2018 01:08 PM

If there are indeed JH examples out there, would love to add them to my exemplars if anyone can share. Like many, I have always *heard* of this, but have never seen any proof, or even highly questionable Green Diamond pieces.

tazdmb 12-05-2018 01:31 PM

Just to add to the myth is the story that John Henry once told a dealer he was selling fakes of his father, in which the dealer replied something to the fact that "I want my money back then, I bought these Green Diamonds from you".

There is a good book "The last Days of Dead Celebrities" and one the features is Ted Williams. His chef tells how horrible he felt because all day John would make Ted sign autographs, even during his last few weeks of life.

Also, here is a copy of the John Henry "Ted Williams" Forgery:

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...-signed-sheet/

tazdmb 12-05-2018 01:35 PM

Here is an old ESPN article that helps contribute to the "myth"

http://www.espn.com/sportsbusiness/s...8/1403337.html

But it is well known in the sports-collectibles community that Ted Williams' signature is among the most-forged, prompting some dealers to caution collectors about the so-called authenticated items, as well. Phil Castinetti, owner of New England-based Sportsworld, believes that even some Williams autographs authenticated by the slugger's son might be forgeries.

"There's no way all the stuff that has come from his companies is legit," Castinetti said of the volume of paraphernalia the younger Williams has sold to dealers over the years. "I would bet my life that there are autographs that he has authenticated and sold that he signed himself."

Castinetti said two experiences cause him to question the authenticity of signatures authenticated by John Henry Williams. In 1991, Castinetti said John Henry showed him the perfect Ted Williams signature. "John Henry and his partner Brian Interland would sign 'Ted Williams,' " Castinetti said, "and they'd laugh, because you couldn't tell theirs and Ted's apart."

Then in 1999, Williams made his final public appearance at the All-Star game at Fenway Park. "I saw him sign there, and he could barely write; his signature was a scribble," Castinetti said. "Then the next week, I see signed panoramic photos of the moment authenticated by Green Diamond, and the signature was flawless."

Stampsfan 12-05-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1832963)
+1

The JH forgeries are what have kept me far away from Green Diamond stuff.

Steve

++++1

I'd like to add a Ted ball to my 500 HR SS Balls, but have been leery because of the stories you are all describing.

Big Six 12-05-2018 06:48 PM

Now that I’m feeling completely paranoid, can someone chime in on my recent addition via Steiner????

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f305853fd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Zipper 12-06-2018 09:13 AM

This is why I hate the Green Diamond / John Henry myth and every time it comes up. It creates panic and people getting spun up over perfectly good items.

To date, other than an obvious fake on a scrap of paper, not one iota of evidence has been presented.

shelly 12-06-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1833147)
Are you confident in your source on this?

One of the TPAs you mentioned specifically told me they never failed a Green Diamond and did not believe JH signed for Ted.

I said that he was not the one signing. After Ted died there was a flood of Photos sold by GD. They were not signed by Ted and you are going back to early 90's a lot of guys that worked for the TPA people are no longer there to tell you if they turned it down or not.

MikeKam 12-06-2018 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like Steve, I believe the whole "John Henry signing Green Diamond items" story to be a myth. There's no evidence of such other than JH claiming he could replicate his father's signature perfectly (also showing what seems to be his infamous stubborn side) and even then, the paper Steve mentions (which I believe is the one I have attached), is quite off.

Ted signed the highest signature, John Henry the other two.

RichardSimon 12-06-2018 03:28 PM

You can see from those examples that John Henry was terrible at signing Ted's name.
But Shelly has said that it was not John Henry doing the forging but that it was coming from Green Diamond.

Case12 12-14-2018 05:27 PM

Hello everyone. I got the Ted Williams today. It is amazing. The autograph alone is huge 2x7". Framed and matted it is about 22x25. A great pose. And it's authentic. $200 including matt and framed and shipping. Beautiful in my study. It is a pearl! You guys are great!! Casey

Kco 12-14-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 1833304)
Now that I’m feeling completely paranoid, can someone chime in on my recent addition via Steiner????

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f305853fd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ted is absolutely fine