Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your current football card collecting projects (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244762)

Hot Springs Bathers 09-11-2017 10:14 AM

I have dozens of projects going! My current interests lie in finishing the 1952 Bowman Large, 1965 Topps and 1964 Topps pennant inserts.

My favorite long-term project is collecting media guides from the major colleges plus Ivies from 1950-80. Frustrating but fun! As well as collecting game programs from all Arkansas colleges large and small.

jefferyepayne 09-11-2017 01:07 PM

Great projects, Mike & Mike!

Seems like the 52 Bowman Large is a popular project.

Good luck with the Chicle and Mayo sets. They are hard but lots of fun.

jeff

AFLfan 09-11-2017 06:50 PM

About 98% of my collection consists of signed cards from the 1960s AFL. I've been working in this area for nearly 20 years now. My signed regular issue sets are within sight of being complete. Though it means having two, three, sometimes four of the same signed card, I've also put together signed collections for the AFL All-Time First and Second Teams, 20 men who played all 10 AFL seasons, lots of cards with unique inscriptions, and player collections for Lance Alworth, John Hadl, Gino Cappelletti, Speedy Duncan, Clem Daniels, and several others.

I'm also slowly chipping away at signed 1961 Golden Tulips, 1969 Tresler Comets, 1968 Topps Test Teams (AFL only), 1968 Topps Stand Ups (AFL only), random 1969 Topps Four-in-Ones, etc.

jefferyepayne 09-12-2017 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFLfan (Post 1700138)
About 98% of my collection consists of signed cards from the 1960s AFL. I've been working in this area for nearly 20 years now. My signed regular issue sets are within sight of being complete. Though it means having two, three, sometimes four of the same signed card, I've also put together signed collections for the AFL All-Time First and Second Teams, 20 men who played all 10 AFL seasons, lots of cards with unique inscriptions, and player collections for Lance Alworth, John Hadl, Gino Cappelletti, Speedy Duncan, Clem Daniels, and several others.

I'm also slowly chipping away at signed 1961 Golden Tulips, 1969 Tresler Comets, 1968 Topps Test Teams (AFL only), 1968 Topps Stand Ups (AFL only), random 1969 Topps Four-in-Ones, etc.

I know there's some really tough individual signatures in your run, Todd, but one underappreciated project you are doing is that Four-in-Ones set. Getting four signatures on a single card has got to be a logistics nightmare! I'm sure you have some interesting stories about getting those signed successfully.

jeff

AFLfan 09-12-2017 06:57 AM

To be honest, Jeff, I think that there are only two four-in-ones with AFL players in which all four players are still living. But true to your statement, I'm having a tough time even with them. One card has Lance Alworth, Don Maynard, Billy Cannon and Ron McDole. I paid for Cannon once, got McDole and Alworth, only to have the card not come back from Maynard.

Recently I tried again on a new card. I managed to get Maynard back just fine. I put the card back into the mail yesterday to Ron McDole. If/When it comes back, I will take it to Lance to sign. Then Billy Cannon is doing a paid signing at the end of October, so I will then ship it off there.

The only other AFL four-in-one that I can think of with all guys still living is Ralph Baker, Eric Crabtree, Speedy Duncan and Bobby Bell. I've got two copies of that one signed by Baker and Duncan. Bell is pretty automatic TTM for $15, but Crabtree is the real challenge. Not sure yet how to tackle him.

On the rest of those cards I'm just picking out one guy to sign. Lazy, I know, but admittedly it's not my favorite set.

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-12-2017 04:21 PM

That is an awesome project! I have seen some of your signed AFL cards before, and they looked great. Since then, I have noticed signed AFL player cards on ebay. If I could ever get out of set building mode long enough, I would do something similar to what you've got going. Keep it up, and please keep sharing.

AFLfan 09-12-2017 04:58 PM

Thank you, Robert. You can check out some of my sets and other signed projects on my website:

Tales from the American Football League

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-12-2017 05:13 PM

What a great site, Todd! Thanks for sharing. I will be looking through it the next few days.

Edit to add: I have recently returned to football. My default is the AFL. I have put together the '65 and '66 Topps sets. I have strayed at the moment with a '65 Philadelphia set I am working on, but the AFL might be calling again when I'm done!

tuckr1 09-12-2017 05:24 PM

34 Payton rookies

Going for 34 Payton rookies, I have 22 thus far!!

sockwell123 09-12-2017 07:55 PM

Wow 22 is a bunch! Hope you reach your goal...would be sweet..

I've finished some late 50's Topps. Some 70's topps..currently bouncing between '57 Topps(need hornung, starr, and Unitas) and '72 topps ( need about 12 more ).

Not sure about future sets..maybe 60's Fleer, or Philly.