Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trivia - Don’t Cheat (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255146)

frankbmd 05-16-2018 05:29 PM

Trivia - Don’t Cheat

There was a 10 inning major league no-hitter in which the losing cleanup batter went 0 for 5.

Who was he (the cleanup hitter, not the pitcher)?

If you look it up successfully, please do not post.

A hint will be provided if Barry Sloate doesn’t know the answer.

JollyElm 05-16-2018 05:33 PM

Yowza. That's either a lot of walks/hbp's or a lot of errors!!

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-16-2018 05:34 PM

I'd guess Reggie vs Nolan Ryan when Ryan was still issuing a ton of walks.

frankbmd 05-16-2018 05:39 PM

Oops. I couldn’t figure it out either. On checking the play by play I learned that it was a ten inning no-no.

Still remarkable nevertheless.

Mountaineer1999 05-16-2018 05:49 PM

The only 10 inning no hitter I know of.. my Pirates beat the Astros in the late 1990s on a combined no hitter. So I will guess Jeff Bagwell.

bmattioli 05-16-2018 05:53 PM

Redsox?

frankbmd 05-16-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 1777474)
The only 10 inning no hitter I know of.. my Pirates beat the Astros in the late 1990s on a combined no hitter. So I will guess Jeff Bagwell.

Incorrect

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 1777476)
Redsox?

Was Redsox a cleanup hitter?:D

timn1 05-16-2018 05:55 PM

Maloney

I think it must be the 10-inning 10-walk no-hitter by the Reds' Jim Maloney in 1965. Losing cleanup hitter would have been - Santo? Banks? B. Williams?

Tim

barrysloate 05-16-2018 05:55 PM

I have no idea Frank. There haven't been very many 10 inning no hitters, but I'm guessing the pitcher walked quite a few batters.

frankbmd 05-16-2018 05:57 PM

Hint: It was the first game of a double header.

Cliff Bowman 05-16-2018 05:57 PM

Ernie Banks? I know Jim Maloney threw a 10 inning no hitter against the Cubs in 1965 at Wrigley Field and the Cubs had a bunch of base runners. ETA, someone beat me to it.

h2oya311 05-16-2018 06:01 PM

Since Frank didn’t specify, it’s possible that the losing team was the one that pitched the 10 inning no hitter. Not sure if that’s happened yet, but a walk, SB, sac bunt, sac fly would get it done. Or WP/pass ball scenario.

timn1 05-16-2018 06:04 PM

It's Banks

Frank must be at dinner, LOL
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1777482)
Ernie Banks? I know Jim Maloney threw a 10 inning no hitter against the Cubs in 1965 at Wrigley Field and the Cubs had a bunch of base runners. ETA, someone beat me to it.

frankbmd 05-16-2018 06:06 PM

Banks is correct.

Banks famous oft repeated quote

“Let’s play two”

may have been inspired by this game.:D

10 walks, 1 HBP, 1 sac bunt, but no errors.

Maloney with 12 Ks and 10 BBs pitched 10 complete innings.

Can’t find a pitch count in 1965, but I would venture a guess that it was the highest pitch count in a no-no as well.

I dare say this type of performance will never be duplicated with today’s game, nor will Marichal and Koufax going head to head for 15 innings without relief.;)

Sean 05-16-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1777489)

I dare say this type of performance will never be duplicated with today’s game, nor will Marichal and Koufax going head to head for 15 innings without relief.;)

Didn't Marichal and Spahn pitch 16 innings against one another in the early '60s?

frankbmd 05-16-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1777491)
Didn't Marichal and Spahn pitch 16 innings against one another in the early '60s?

Indeed, with the following pitch counts

Marichal 227
Spahn 201

That game was not all that remarkable at the time according to Cepeda.

Years later Marichal commented on pitch counts, claiming his arm was strong because he threw a lot of pitches. He also noted and rightly so that far fewer pitchers were on the DL in his era, than there are currently.

Spahn had 382 complete games in 21 years.

barrysloate 05-16-2018 06:45 PM

Something is wrong with the game today, when starting pitchers go five or six innings every fifth day and still end up needing Tommy John surgery.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-16-2018 07:14 PM

I have always wondered why no down and out team doesn't give Mike Marshall's theories a chance.

Mountaineer1999 05-16-2018 07:28 PM

Radbourne threw 678 innings in '84 but his arm almost fell off.

frankbmd 05-16-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 1777514)
Radbourne threw 678 innings in '84 but his arm almost fell off.

Well, gee. The argument is?

The amount of innings a pitcher can pitch is approaching zero.

I guess we are headed for major league tee ball in 10-15 years.:D

Mountaineer1999 05-17-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1777582)
Well, gee. The argument is?

The amount of innings a pitcher can pitch is approaching zero.

I guess we are headed for major league tee ball in 10-15 years.:D

The argument is, no one really knows what's right. I certainly dont pretend to know more than the guys actually playing the game. For every Spahn or Carlton or Ryan you select off the top there are probably 50 college and minor league players who destroyed their arms. Heck maybe Koufax could have played five more years if he hadn't pitched 300+ innings while in pain. Could Mark Fydrich have had a career if they would have handled him differently? Plus have you seen the arms coming out of bullpens lately? Its generally an upgrade to get a tired starter out of the game.

barrysloate 05-17-2018 07:11 AM

In an era when pitchers were expected to pitch a complete game, I believe they paced themselves so that they would still have some gas left in the tank for the 8th and 9th innings.

Because today's pitchers only need to go 5 innings, the mindset is to throw as hard as you can until the bullpen takes over. Is it possible that by throwing at their maximum ability, pitchers are putting too much strain on their arms? Pitching is very difficult under any circumstance and causes undo stress on the arm muscles. Maybe there is damage being done by throwing too hard.

Just a guess as I don't understand all the dynamics of what actually happens to a pitcher's arm.

ncinin 05-17-2018 10:30 AM

Maloney no hitter

The last two innings of WGN TV broadcast of the Maloney no hitter exist and his pitch count was in the mid to upper 180's if I recall

timn1 05-17-2018 10:54 AM

happy medium?

Just to push back against the apparent prevailing view here:

Koufax and Maloney are both textbook examples of great pitchers whose arms were blown out by 30, probably through overwork. Just from that same era, you can add Sam McDowell and Dean Chance. (Even Marichal had his last great season at 31 and he was done by 35.)

Yes, there are some amazingly durable guys in every era but they are freaks of nature (in a good way) like WaJo and Ryan and the Big Unit.

As valuable as great pitching is to clubs and as much money is involved for the players, having conservative pitch counts makes all the sense in the world. It's not going to prevent all the injuries, because pitching is an unnatural motion that creates tremendous stress on vulnerable parts of the body. But if it can keep a Strasburg or Syndergaard playing years longer, you have to figure it's a good move for the player and his team.

And I'm all in favor of limiting mound visits and even pitching changes to speed up games. I don't think that pitching seasons of 65 games/ 50 IP are healthy for arms any more than 40 GS/300 IP.

But having your best pitcher make 170 pitches in a regular season game is just nuts.

barrysloate 05-17-2018 11:27 AM

Nolan Ryan had to be the most durable pitcher in history. He didn't have a major injury until his 27th and final season, and threw incredibly hard for his entire career.

I remember he once pitched a 10-inning complete game, walking ten and striking out nineteen. I bet he threw well over 200 pitches in that one. And he was more than ready for his next start. There was nobody like him.

drmondobueno 05-17-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1777503)
Something is wrong with the game today, when starting pitchers go five or six innings every fifth day and still end up needing Tommy John surgery.

Hurt their elbows lugging around those wallets.

frankbmd 05-17-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1777650)
In an era when pitchers were expected to pitch a complete game, I believe they paced themselves so that they would still have some gas left in the tank for the 8th and 9th innings.

Because today's pitchers only need to go 5 innings, the mindset is to throw as hard as you can until the bullpen takes over. Is it possible that by throwing at their maximum ability, pitchers are putting too much strain on their arms? Pitching is very difficult under any circumstance and causes undo stress on the arm muscles. Maybe there is damage being done by throwing too hard.

Just a guess as I don't understand all the dynamics of what actually happens to a pitcher's arm.

The poster boy for your theory would be Wilbur Wood.

From 1971-1975

Wilbur pitched 1680 innings, started 224 games, had 99 complete games and generally started with two days rest.

barrysloate 05-17-2018 05:34 PM

Wood threw 376 innings one year and I think his record was something like 23-20. He even pitched both games of a doubleheader.

timn1 05-17-2018 05:57 PM

coud it have something to do with Wood being...

a knuckleball pitcher? :p

Also, I remember hearing that anecdote about pitching both halves of the doubleheader for years - but I finally looked up the results and it's not much of a recommendation. Wood started the first game and failed to retire a batter, taking the loss. Started the second game and lost 7-0. July 20, 1973

4.1 total IP
9 H
13 R (10 ER)
W - 0 / L - 2

frankbmd 05-17-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1777842)
a knuckleball pitcher? :p

Also, I remember hearing that anecdote about pitching both halves of the doubleheader for years - but I finally looked up the results and it's not much of a recommendation. Wood started the first game and failed to retire a batter, taking the loss. Started the second game and lost 7-0. July 20, 1973

4.1 total IP
9 H
13 R (10 ER)
W - 0 / L - 2

Give him credit.

Not everyone can have a bad day twice in one day.

David W 05-17-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1777723)
Just to push back against the apparent prevailing view here:

Koufax and Maloney are both textbook examples of great pitchers whose arms were blown out by 30, probably through overwork. Just from that same era, you can add Sam McDowell and Dean Chance. (Even Marichal had his last great season at 31 and he was done by 35.)

Yes, there are some amazingly durable guys in every era but they are freaks of nature (in a good way) like WaJo and Ryan and the Big Unit.

As valuable as great pitching is to clubs and as much money is involved for the players, having conservative pitch counts makes all the sense in the world. It's not going to prevent all the injuries, because pitching is an unnatural motion that creates tremendous stress on vulnerable parts of the body. But if it can keep a Strasburg or Syndergaard playing years longer, you have to figure it's a good move for the player and his team.

And I'm all in favor of limiting mound visits and even pitching changes to speed up games. I don't think that pitching seasons of 65 games/ 50 IP are healthy for arms any more than 40 GS/300 IP.

But having your best pitcher make 170 pitches in a regular season game is just nuts.

You are exactly right.

For every Gaylord Perry or Sutton who pitched forever there are a bunch of guys like Mel Stottlemyre, Catfish Hunter, Larry Dierker, Jim Colborn, Steve Busby, Mark Fidrych, Don Drysdale, Marichal, Koufax, who all had little to no careers after age 30 or never came close to 30.