Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA East Coast Office Close to Opening (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141605)

Davalillo 09-11-2011 07:47 PM

PSA East Coast Office Close to Opening

Announcement due in next week.

This will be huge for me as I still have 18-20,000 cards that need to be reviewed to go to 8.5 from 8.

I don't believe they will be graded there however.

4815162342 09-12-2011 07:24 AM

For 18-20,000 cards, I would think that Joe O. would personally come to your house and pick them up!

Leon 09-12-2011 07:27 AM

probably good but I just have to mention.....

Well, PSA opening up in the east is probably good for the hobby. And not to totally get into the whole debate, but it's the subject of the thread, more or less, is the issue of what goes up truly can't go down. That is always a bit of a conundrum for me.....but there are bigger issues in life and I wish PSA all the best in their endeavor. regards

barrysloate 09-12-2011 07:46 AM

Where will the new office be located?

Bicem 09-12-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davalillo (Post 924552)
I still have 18-20,000 cards that need to be reviewed to go to 8.5 from 8.

Hilarious! :D

vintagetoppsguy 09-12-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

This will be huge for me as I still have 18-20,000 cards that need to be reviewed to go to 8.5 from 8.

Good luck to you. Personally I would rather spend that money on more cards, not sending in cards I've already had graded hoping to get a 1/4 grade bump, but that's just me.

DanP 09-12-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 924617)
Where will the new office be located?

NJ

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-coast-office/

barrysloate 09-12-2011 10:09 AM

Thanks Dan.

Matthew H 09-12-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Announcement due in next week.

I don't believe they will be graded there however.

Do the cards come back in better condition :confused:

calvindog 09-12-2011 11:07 AM

What's the point in opening an office where there will be no grading on site? They'll just have to be packed up and sent to Calif anyway? Why not just send them directly yourself to California?

Leon 09-12-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 924654)
What's the point in opening an office where there will be no grading on site? They'll just have to be packed up and sent to Calif anyway? Why not just send them directly yourself to California?

Because then they wouldn't have an east coast office :eek:.

DanP 09-12-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

I thought the same thing. It seems like it will take longer "adding in the middle man". I would still send cards directly to CA. I don't see much happening in the East Coast office unless you live less than 30 minutes away!

barrysloate 09-12-2011 12:00 PM

Many people have an aversion to sending expensive items in the mail. They are afraid they will get lost or damaged. Once they hand over their cards to PSA, they also rid themselves of the responsibilty of shipping them. It may not make sense, but I bet there are people who will drive an hour or more to the NJ office rather than ship cards themselves.

Peter_Spaeth 09-12-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

20,000 cards? For Jim anyhow, not a practical alternative.

4815162342 09-12-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 924664)
Many people have an aversion to sending expensive items in the mail. They are afraid they will get lost or damaged. Once they hand over their cards to PSA, they also rid themselves of the responsibilty of shipping them. It may not make sense, but I bet there are people who will drive an hour or more to the NJ office rather than ship cards themselves.

+1

Davalillo 09-12-2011 02:35 PM

I am one of those persons who has an aversion to shipping expensive things by mail. I have been bringing 500 per show to Philly show or packing 500 when I go to LA to drop off myself but its taking too long. I will probably just take every other 8 I have and drop it off for review. I have been averaging 6% bumps on submissions but the last batch of 500 was 8-9%. As the cards get more recent they have a better chance of being bumped. Also I seem to be getting more bumps to 9 from 8 as I get into sending my 60s sets in for review.

Joe offered to send a brinks truck to my house when they went to half point grades but I didn't go for that.

Jim

whitehse 09-12-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davalillo (Post 924711)
I am one of those persons who has an aversion to shipping expensive things by mail. I have been bringing 500 per show to Philly show or packing 500 when I go to LA to drop off myself but its taking too long. I will probably just take every other 8 I have and drop it off for review. I have been averaging 6% bumps on submissions but the last batch of 500 was 8-9%. As the cards get more recent they have a better chance of being bumped. Also I seem to be getting more bumps to 9 from 8 as I get into sending my 60s sets in for review.

Joe offered to send a brinks truck to my house when they went to half point grades but I didn't go for that.

Jim

I have to say it.....

A Brinks truck for your cards or the payment you will have to make to evaluate 25,000 cards???

Davalillo 09-12-2011 04:38 PM

Really? How much do you think a Brinks Truck would cost?

steve B 09-12-2011 04:40 PM

The other advantage in the shipping is the zoned shipping USPS is using which will only get more expensive.

So shipping a bulk submission to NJ from the northeast will be slightly cheaper.

On PSAs end they can make one periodic large shipment each way, and the savings will be worthwhile.

For me PSA is zone 8. So a 3 lb package by priority is 12.14
NJ is zone 3 so the same package is just 5.96

NYC would be even cheaper from NJ.

So saving $6 a package for small subs is pretty good. They'd still have the one big package going cross country, but the per pound is much less.
Heavier packages the savings is bigger, just over $10 for a 6 lb package.
How many packages do they ship a week?

Plus they can advertize it as being more "green" as it does actually save fuel.

Steve B

glchen 09-12-2011 04:57 PM

I still wonder how it would work if you sent a higher value submission to the East Coast office with 1 or 2 day turnaround. Wouldn't think there would be enough time for PSA to send it cross country and still get the cards graded per service level.

steve B 09-12-2011 06:41 PM

A plane ticket from NY to their area runs just over $300. At 60 for a "super express" 2 day submission they'd only need 5-6 to be at break even. Plus whoever is making the run can bring other stuff. And that's just cards. Add a couple good autographs and it makes lots of sense.

There's probably a courier who would bring a few cards even more affordably, especially if it was an ongoing contract.

Steve B

E93 09-12-2011 07:12 PM

Undoubtedly it will make it a lot cheaper and easier for them to set up at east coast shows.
JImB
P.S. If I had 20,000 cards to grade and they offered to pick them up in a brinks truck, I would take that offer.

skelly 09-12-2011 07:24 PM

Got to be honest. As a big SGC guy, I'm not happy about the news. I realize PSA sells for more, but I'm not in it for that. SGC just looks better. The silly "baggies" that PSA uses for unusual sized cards upsets me. The cards move in the PSA cases, I've seen 7's that look more like 5.5's due to the owners being careless. Maybe I'm just a underdog kind of person, but just how I feel.

Rich Klein 09-13-2011 05:17 AM

And the other advantage

Is that now PSA can set up at more East Coast shows, where there are more shows and more hobby activity than in most of this country.

Plus, instead of flying in extra people from California, there is a considerable savings in having a person drive to a show in let's say White Plains, rather than having to fly someone in, rent a card, perhaps an extra hotel room,....

It's a brilliant move and assuming everything works out, will be very profitable for PSA

Rich