Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Iconic Baseball Photos of the 20th Century (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243777)

Sierra79 08-17-2017 01:24 PM

Iconic Baseball Photos of the 20th Century

8 Attachment(s)
I was looking for an image of Nolan Ryan the other day when I came across his famous bloody lip photo (made possible by Bo). I personally can't think of any other image of Ryan that is as iconic as that one (Ventura in a headlock is a close 2nd IMO LOL). Anyways, It got me thinking about what were some of the most the iconic baseball photos that have been produced in the 20th century. Here are some that came to mind. Let me know what I'm missing as I'd love to see some wonderful images.

bn2cardz 08-17-2017 01:38 PM

http://didthetribewinlastnight.com/w...earance-AP.jpg

JollyElm 08-17-2017 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 284309

Iwantmorecards77 08-17-2017 11:56 PM

The Shot...

1 Attachment(s)
A shout out to my grandfather and his timely trigger finger!

Sierra79 08-18-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantmorecards77 (Post 1691893)
A shout out to my grandfather and his timely trigger finger!

Wow! That's really amazing. I bet he had some really cool stories to share.

Iwantmorecards77 08-18-2017 10:29 AM

The Shot...

He certainly did, Scott! He was insistent that the Giants weren't stealing signals, but...

He always claimed that he was the photographer of that photo. Not that anyone didn't believe him, but I think perhaps he felt that he needed to prove it. Eventually, the author of Echoing Green helped him out. A (circa) 1952-53 Sylvania Flash Bulbs brochure turned up with this photo, crediting my grandfather.

Then, after the passing of a relative in NYC, while cleaning out her apartment - the original photo and the negatives were found. My grandfather was so excited. He passed away shortly thereafter.

Sierra79 08-18-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantmorecards77 (Post 1692002)
He certainly did, Scott! He was insistent that the Giants weren't stealing signals, but...

He always claimed that he was the photographer of that photo. Not that anyone didn't believe him, but I think perhaps he felt that he needed to prove it. Eventually, the author of Echoing Green helped him out. A (circa) 1952-53 Sylvania Flash Bulbs brochure turned up with this photo, crediting my grandfather.

Then, after the passing of a relative in NYC, while cleaning out her apartment - the original photo and the negatives were found. My grandfather was so excited. He passed away shortly thereafter.

Really glad to hear that he was able to get credited for it and find the photo and negatives while he was alive. A lot of people could claim they were there when that happened, but to be able to be the one to capture one of the most events in baseball history is off the charts. I'll never look at that photo again without thinking about the story you just shared. Thanks for posting that!

brob28 08-18-2017 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one's got to be on the list.

The-Cardfather 08-18-2017 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jesse Orosco - Mets win the final game of the 1986 World Series.

Bigdaddy 08-18-2017 08:15 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Some of my favs and classic photos:

Sierra79 08-18-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1692195)
This one's got to be on the list.

I can't believe I forgot about that one. Definitely one of the biggest baseball photos of all time!

Sierra79 08-18-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1691721)

Has to be the most iconic photo of the Bambino IMO.

JollyElm 08-19-2017 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 284535

mybestbretts 08-20-2017 07:03 PM

photos

2 Attachment(s)
Two ... Pine Tar & 85 World SeriesAttachment 284774

Attachment 284775

mybestbretts 08-20-2017 07:04 PM

Brett photos

The label on the Pine Tar should have been 83

tiger8mush 08-21-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardfather (Post 1692197)
Jesse Orosco - Mets win the final game of the 1986 World Series.

I'd argue that Buckner's photo is more "iconic" than Orosco's ...

https://mlblogsbostonrob.files.wordp...3/buckner1.jpg

tiger8mush 08-21-2017 05:47 PM

this one comes to mind for me
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/wp-conte...on16.jpg?w=620

clydepepper 08-21-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger8mush (Post 1693133)

That one wasn't even the biggest Baseball feat of that day!

The-Cardfather 08-22-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger8mush (Post 1693131)
I'd argue that Buckner's photo is more "iconic" than Orosco's ...

https://mlblogsbostonrob.files.wordp...3/buckner1.jpg

I have to stand my ground on this one. In the title of the thread was "Iconic Baseball PHOTOS" (not videos). The video of the Bucker blunder is quite iconic (just as many others are, including Brett charging out of the dugout during the "pine tar incident"). But as far as a still photo goes, Jesse (on his knees, with his fists clenched and his arms raised high) has the Buckner photo beat. (Heck, it even made the front page of the NY Daily News.)

IMHO.

KingFisk 08-27-2017 06:56 AM

The first pumps made it, but this moment stands out. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1582512695.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sierra79 08-27-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1695159)
The first pumps made it, but this moment stands out. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1582512695.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

First or last fist pump, that image is certainly one of the most iconic...

herbc 08-29-2017 11:31 AM

Yankee Legends Series

7 Attachment(s)
This set is from a series issued by the NY Daily News. I forgot the year of issue, but I'm sure someone could help with that.
For 8 weeks a different picture was included in the Sunday newspaper. A descriptive paragraph was on the reverse of each photo.
Although Yankee-centric, iconic none the less.

irv 08-29-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbc (Post 1695875)
This set is from a series issued by the NY Daily News. I forgot the year of issue, but I'm sure someone could help with that.
For 8 weeks a different picture was included in the Sunday newspaper. A descriptive paragraph was on the reverse of each photo.
Although Yankee-centric, iconic none the less.

Those are great shots!

Vintagevault13 08-30-2017 04:28 PM

One of the coolest shots ever

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ab4844fd1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brian1961 08-31-2017 11:07 AM

I love the photos, guys. Thank you.

Somewhere I have a card set devoted to the life of Mickey Mantle. For some wonderful reason, they chose a card of Mick shaking hands with a poor kid who had suffered horrific burns. There's something about it that makes me cry every time I see it. The kid had to be placed in an area of the Stadium where other kids couldn't crowd in for their "me too's"; otherwise, he would have suffered pain being jostled by the others. It's such a touching photo, and to me says a lot about Mickey the man, and hero.

I'm sorry I'm not loading up the photo, but hopefully my depiction will convey enough to you.

Keep 'em coming, mates! ---Brian Powell

The-Cardfather 09-02-2017 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1696486)
..........It's such a touching photo, and to me says a lot about Mickey the man, and hero.

Brian,

One of my personal pet peeves is when someone talks about what a great man Mantle was. A great ballplayer - yes, but a great man - never.
Mantle was great when the cameras were rolling, but not so much otherwise.

I copied the two paragraphs below from one of my posts a few months back, and I think it needs repeating.

Mantle was a boozing, womanizing a$$hole, who wouldn't have survived a minute with today's scrutinizing media. (IMHO.)

A long ago co-worked once told me a story about when he was a kid. He said that he was collecting ballplayer autographs in some Washington hotel. (I assume that the Yankees were playing the Senators.) He said that when he approached Mantle with a ball to sign, Mantle literally slapped the ball out of his hand as he rushed past.

There are tons of similar stories out there about the "great" Mantle.

brian1961 09-02-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the cardfather (Post 1697019)
brian,

one of my personal pet peeves is when someone talks about what a great man mantle was. A great ballplayer - yes, but a great man - never.
Mantle was great when the cameras were rolling, but not so much otherwise.

I copied the two paragraphs below from one of my posts a few months back, and i think it needs repeating.

Mantle was a boozing, womanizing a$$hole, who wouldn't have survived a minute with today's scrutinizing media. (imho.)

a long ago co-worked once told me a story about when he was a kid. He said that he was collecting ballplayer autographs in some washington hotel. (i assume that the yankees were playing the senators.) he said that when he approached mantle with a ball to sign, mantle literally slapped the ball out of his hand as he rushed past.

There are tons of similar stories out there about the "great" mantle.

Charles,

No man on earth ever did the right thing all the time. What you said I am sure is true, to an extent. Mickey was not a good husband, nor a good father, and the shame-faced Mick on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the early 90s that told of his alcoholism and many misdeeds attested to his own loud and clear self-knowledge AND self-recrimination of his many blunders and wretched lifestyle much of his adult life. When he was dying and held his last press conference, he humbly told everyone not to look to him as a role model, or whatever it was.

Few individuals were approached as often for an autograph as Mickey Mantle. If he was under the effect of alcohol, or the Yankees lost the game, and especially if he felt he let the team down and contributed to the loss, you did not want to approach Mick with a ball to sign. A dumb kid wouldn't know or understand that. Many adults haven't a clue about such influences and matters, because all they care about is themselves and what they want.

It is truly surprising Mickey lasted as long as he did with the New York zoo press. But really, you seem very convinced in your hatred of him. Fine. That is your right and freedom to express such bias. I could get started on your Joe DiMaggio, but I won't, unless provoked.

Yeah, in today's media frenzy, no one comes out of it alive.

I won't weary you with why I have such a strong connection to Mickey Mantle. You're not worth the time, and with your attitude, it's none of your business anyway.

So, I shall be happy collecting Mickey Mantle. You can stay peeved, and if you ever get over it, hopefully you'll find someone to collect that might keep you happy, at least until you learn more about him.

----Brian Powell

irv 09-03-2017 07:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1697128)
Charles,

No man on earth ever did the right thing all the time. What you said I am sure is true, to an extent. Mickey was not a good husband, nor a good father, and the shame-faced mick on the cover of sports illustrated in the early 90s that told of his alcoholism and many misdeeds attested to his own loud and clear self-knowledge of his many blunders and wretched lifestyle much of his life. When he was dying and held his last press conference, he humbly told everyone not to look to him as a role model, or whatever it was.

Few individuals were approached as often for an autograph as Mickey Mantle. If he was under the effect of alcohol, or the Yankees lost the game, and especially if he felt he let the team down and contributed to the loss, you did not want to approach mick with a ball to sign. A dumb kid wouldn't know or understand that, and many adults haven't a clue about such influences and matters.

It is truly surprising Mickey lasted as long as he did with the New York zoo press. But really, you seem very convinced in your hatred of him. Fine. That is your right and freedom to express such bias. I could get started on your Joe DiMaggio, but I won't, unless provoked.

Yeah, in today's media frenzy, no one comes out of it alive.

I won't weary you with why I have such a strong connection to Mickey Mantle. You're not worth the time, and with your attitude, it's none of your business anyway.

So, I shall be happy collecting Mickey Mantle. You can stay peeved, and if you ever get over it, hopefully you'll find someone to collect that might keep you happy, at least until you learn more about him.

----Brian Powell

Well said, Brian.

Doesn't look like Mick had any issue with this pic being taken, despite the lack of media. :)

Leon 09-04-2017 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is one..

Nunzio11 09-04-2017 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From a Baltimoron...I was in college and a group of us climbed the Eutaw St fence to see the festivities live.

The-Cardfather 09-04-2017 07:05 PM

Brian,

I simply gave my opinion.

And although I may not agree with your opinion, I respect it.

But, I have to ask (rhetorically), was the following sentence really necessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1697128)
You're not worth the time, and with your attitude, it's none of your business anyway.

P.S. - I'm not trying to "provoke" you.

brian1961 09-04-2017 07:54 PM

Charles, it probably was not necessary of me to come off that irritated with you. You just seemed so vehement about the Mick's misdeeds, and your tone did not come across as merely a simple opinion. Believe me, depending on your values and personal life, I can understand your feelings. Not being worth the time stems from my belief that if I composed a long response about someone else, it would not really change your own mind about Mickey. Moreover, I really don't want to hurt the little boy within you concerning a hero you might have.

Nobody is totally worthy of any pedestal we put them on. Our heroes are really always flawed human beings. I guess a happy place for each of us is the warm memories we carry of those players when they were going well, and had their finest moments with their respective teams.

For that reason, I myself could never muster up enough courage to try to attend a show where Mickey Mantle was signing autographs for a fee. Odds are things would have turned out great, but I just could not emotionally risk the chance that the meeting would go well. So, I was content to cheer his memory from afar, and collect his cards, etc.

I do sincerely wish you well in your collecting pursuits and hope your little boy within never gets harmed.:)

Even within collecting Mickey, and I am certain this is true for many player collectors, there are numerous things and trends that I do not understand, nor agree with. The thinking, the reasonings, and the values of my fellow collectors is often infantile in my estimation. To be sure, they have their own reasonings that usually are based on sound advice and thinking. On the one hand, perhaps I strike one as the height of arrogance and self-importance as a card evaluator. I suppose since I've been doing this since the spring of 1961, I think I have a good handle on cards, et al relating to my hero. I am slow to learn that there's a lot of factors, trends, and financial/social/psychological factors that play in these matters.

More than a nickel pack's worth, I know, but I'm getting tired, bro, and I better go. Case closed. Take care and have a peaceful week.

---Brian Powell

SAllen2556 09-05-2017 05:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it depends what team you root for. Here in the Motor City there are two photos that every Tiger fan knows. If you're in St. Louis or San Diego, probably not. The photo of Lolich and Freehan, at one time, probably resided in more basements and bars in the Detroit area than any single baseball photo.

Attachment 286679
Attachment 286678

Bigdaddy 09-07-2017 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, if you want to include WS photos, here's one of my favorites from the WS and one of my all time favorites (you gotta read the story of the Todd Frazier photo):

David W 09-14-2017 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybestbretts (Post 1692853)
Two ... Pine Tar & 85 World SeriesAttachment 284774

Attachment 284775

I'm more inclined to think of this picture at the "Pine Tar" game

mybestbretts 09-15-2017 07:14 PM

brett photo

Good one :)

MrSeven 09-17-2017 08:51 AM

Technically the 21st century - but hey close enough!.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...ez4s-1-web.jpg

rats60 09-21-2017 09:16 PM

They don't get any better than this one from the Baseball Hall of Fame

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4473/...99b56df1_z.jpg