Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1956 Topps Football interest ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250958)

Ribbens 02-05-2018 07:55 PM

1956 Topps Football interest ?

Looking at purchasing a near set of 1956 Topps Football cards, looking for input from collectors of this set - good bad and ugly parts of collecting this set.

PowderedH2O 02-06-2018 05:40 PM

I really can't say anything bad about the set. It is relatively small and very affordable. The Cardinals and Redskins will cost you more than the other teams, but it isn't like they are awful or anything. There aren't any expensive rookies in the set either. You can build a nice Ex/Ex-Mt set for $500-$750 fairly easily. If you are hung up on stars, it is in a spot where it just misses having guys like Baugh, Unitas, and Starr. So I guess that's a negative, but there are so many other great guys that it is perfectly ok. And considering that it is Topps first NFL only set, and their last big card set, I think it is a classic.

Ribbens 02-06-2018 06:38 PM

Thanks for your feedback

jefferyepayne 02-07-2018 03:12 AM

Agree with Sam. A nice set but doesn't have a boatload of HOFers or Star Rookies. Small and easy to put together.

If you're doing it raw, do remember that the cards are a bit bigger and won't fit into 9 slot pages. They fit nicely into the 8 slot pages, though.

jeff

wdwfan 02-07-2018 01:52 PM

I've been trying to decide which football sets to go after as i'm just getting into vintage football (been in vintage baseball a whole 6 months, haha). Anyway, I've noticed a lot of the sets are small (like around 150 cards or less for a bunch of them). Makes it nice when trying to put sets together.

That said, I can't seem to find anyone trading vintage football. There's this site, BO and SCF for baseball, but very few vintage football guys between the 3. So, looks like it'd be hard to complete sets short of just buying what you need.

That's one of the things that's kept from going full force into football at this point.

PowderedH2O 02-07-2018 05:12 PM

Look on Facebook for "Vintage Football Cards". Contact the administrator and join the group. We have over 3,000 members and there are lots of cards being bought and sold every night. There is also some trading going on as well. I've seen your posts and I'd love to trade, but as luck would have it, I just don't have much to help on those particular sets that you collect. I have a few things, but just not much.

Anyway, check out the site. It might be what you are looking for.

Exhibitman 02-08-2018 05:44 AM

I have been putting together an ex-mt-ish group. Centering and print flaws the issues. The large color fields often have fish eyes. Centering seems to be especially bad with certain players. No doubt due to sheet position.

ocjack 02-11-2018 11:27 AM

The unnumbered checklist card and the contest cards make it a bit more challenging if you want a "complete" set.

jefferyepayne 02-11-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 1747148)
The unnumbered checklist card and the contest cards make it a bit more challenging if you want a "complete" set.

Yes they do but most definitely doable. I found locating a few of the contest cards to be more difficult than picking up the checklist.

Checklist is NOTHING like snagging the two 1957 Topps checklists.

jeff