Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts of SGC sheet cut cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=261592)

maximus35 11-01-2018 05:15 PM

Thoughts of SGC sheet cut cards

I just saw SGC is going to start cutting uncut sheets and making them look as close to the original factory cut as possible. Then, grading them but slabbing them as “sheet cut” as If this will do anything.

I see a huge problem waiting to happen!!! Since the cards will look like they are factory cut, whose to say people won’t start cracking them out of their “sheet cut” labeled slabs and resubmitting them for a better grade and to trick the grader so the card will no longer be labeled as sheet cut.

drcy 11-01-2018 05:23 PM

Whether or not grading sheet cut cards is acceptable, graders shouldn't be in the restoration (or however you wish to refer to it) business. But that's just my opinion.

biggsdaddycool 11-01-2018 05:33 PM

Oooh, yeah. I agree. This is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggsdaddycool 11-01-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1823969)
Whether or not grading sheet cut cards is acceptable, graders shouldn't be in the restoration (or however you wish to refer to it) business. But that's just my opinion.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhibitman 11-01-2018 06:18 PM

if they are limiting it to cards that were never issued except as sheets, it isn't a bad idea because it won't fool anyone. It does present a giant conflict of interest, though, since the condition of the card would be the result of an SGC sponsored effort. How could SGC cut down a strip card and award it a lesser grade?

If they do it for any cards in sheet form and achieve a result as good as the factory cut, as they brag they will, well, that's trouble. It will be all of 30 seconds before someone busts out a cut card from SGC's lame-ass holder and sends it to PSA. And we all know that PSA sometimes grades sheet cut cards.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/davi...er-resized.jpg

MikeGarcia 11-01-2018 07:00 PM

Answer To My Prayers :

[QUOTE=maximus35;1823963]I just saw SGC is going to start cutting uncut sheets and making them look as close to the original factory cut as possible. Then, grading them but slabbing them as “sheet cut” as If this will do anything.

..http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...CHANGE_NEW.JPG

...I've been waiting for something like this to come along -- I'll finally get the SGC 96 Dom Dimaggio I've been hunkering after. The other five I'll use as coasters.

swarmee 11-01-2018 07:22 PM

So they'll be a 2nd Party Grading company?

SetBuilder 11-01-2018 08:24 PM

The purists are going to hate this idea.

RedsFan1941 11-01-2018 08:56 PM

the "purists" had enough reasons to dislike TPGs long before this development

Lorewalker 11-01-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus35 (Post 1823963)
I just saw SGC is going to start cutting uncut sheets and making them look as close to the original factory cut as possible. Then, grading them but slabbing them as “sheet cut” as If this will do anything.

I see a huge problem waiting to happen!!! Since the cards will look like they are factory cut, whose to say people won’t start cracking them out of their “sheet cut” labeled slabs and resubmitting them for a better grade and to trick the grader so the card will no longer be labeled as sheet cut.

If I am not mistaken I think this service is being offered for issues that are supposed to be sheet cut by consumers/collectors after release from the factory..Post, Bazooka, Strip Cards, etc etc. I tool SGC's reference to a factory cut to mean that the cards would not be cut like a 7 year old with those safety scissors performed the cutting. To perform a true factory cut ya need more than a straight cut from a printer. Very few issue share the same edge grain pattern so mimicking a true factory cut, say on a 33 Goudey, is not as easy as simply slicing it off the sheet.

I actually like the idea. At least if grading companies are gonna grade hand cut cards they may as well look as nice as possible.

drcy 11-01-2018 09:12 PM

Though I assume they won't be close to the original factory cut, and will be easily identifiable as later cut.

KMayUSA6060 11-02-2018 06:55 AM

I'd prefer if they developed a giant slab to fit the sheets, keeping the history in tact and preserved.

maximus35 11-02-2018 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=MikeGarcia;1823993]
Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus35 (Post 1823963)

..http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...CHANGE_NEW.JPG

...I've been waiting for something like this to come along -- I'll finally get the SGC 96 Dom Dimaggio I've been hunkering after. The other five I'll use as coasters.

I will take that Lou Gehrig coaster off your hands LOL

The Nasty Nati 11-02-2018 08:45 AM

Sort of a nightmare for strip card collectors since all of a sudden you're going to have strips graded 9s and 10s. What will that do to their collections value that graded A and 1-4?

PiratesWS1979 11-02-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1824030)
Though I assume they won't be close to the original factory cut, and will be easily identifiable as later cut.

Maybe they can reproduce the early Topps and OPC rough cuts. It would look rather cool but would be very, very wrong!

rainier2004 11-02-2018 09:08 AM

Yes, purists have had plenty of issues with TPGs long before this.

The slope seems like its getting awfully slippery, all sorts of things I don't understand on this.
1. Why aren't all strip cards, box cards, etc. graded "A", makes no sense how they can be numerical. Yes Ive read all the reads, they should all be "A" IMO as they just weren't issued from the factory that way.
2. So if a TPG cuts them, how could they could a number? See point 1.
3. If this is done at SGC to a card that should have been cut at the factory, ie 33G, etc., how could this not be considered restoration and "altered"?
4. Whats next? Will SGC open their own restoration shop and then grade it?

The idea seems solid if it were just for cards that weren't ever cut at the factory but horrible and somewhat juvenile for everything else.

tbob 11-02-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SetBuilder (Post 1824023)
The purists are going to hate this idea.

+1

swarmee 11-02-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 1824085)
Sort of a nightmare for strip card collectors since all of a sudden you're going to have strips graded 9s and 10s. What will that do to their collections value that graded A and 1-4?

In order for that to happen, the cards still need to be found in strips. If they are, anyone could cut them properly and get high grades on them, not just SGC. Or people could take poorly graded Auth cards with full borders and cut them properly, so that the grade increases. Not sure how SGC doing this invalidates your thoughts. If the card isn't available in sheet, box, or panel form in the first place, they can't be cut down to get better grades.

topcat61 11-02-2018 10:32 AM

I can see this playing out in a courtroom somewhere. The hobby already has a problem with unscrupulous dealers and collectors and even auctions and this would only enhance those issues. There wouldn't be much difference between this and what happened to the T206 Gretsky-McNall Wagner - that was fraud and people went to prison for it, so why wouldn't these mensa members over at SGC think that their holders wouldn't get cracked and sent back?

Such a bad idea all-round. This might not fool advanced collectors much but those of us who might not be familiar with the specifics of all sets and novices might get hosed.

I completely agree with one of the members here that grading companies aren't in the business of restoration and nor should they. This opens the door to fraud in a hobby that is already rife with it. I think SGC should consider the consequences and potential impact before implementing this idea. Don't you?

RedsFan1941 11-02-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1824064)
I'd prefer if they developed a giant slab to fit the sheets, keeping the history in tact and preserved.

i agree.

Yoda 11-02-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1823983)
if they are limiting it to cards that were never issued except as sheets, it isn't a bad idea because it won't fool anyone. It does present a giant conflict of interest, though, since the condition of the card would be the result of an SGC sponsored effort. How could SGC cut down a strip card and award it a lesser grade?

If they do it for any cards in sheet form and achieve a result as good as the factory cut, as they brag they will, well, that's trouble. It will be all of 30 seconds before someone busts out a cut card from SGC's lame-ass holder and sends it to PSA. And we all know that PSA sometimes grades sheet cut cards.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/davi...er-resized.jpg

I had forgotten what a nice job of trimming Bill Maestro performed on Honus.

doug.goodman 11-02-2018 11:34 AM

Grading threads always make me chuckle.

The people who get paid for their opinions don't give a shit about you, or your hobby, all they care about is their bottom line.

Doug "a jaded old man who doesn't buy lottery tickets either" Goodman

mechanicalman 11-02-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1824128)
i agree.

I also agree. I just won a sheet in REA. I love it. Would it be worth more if I could extract the cards and get them into 7s and 8s? For sure. But then there’d just be a few more 7s and 8s in the world, of which there are many, but one fewer uncut sheet, of which there might be less than 5. I prefer to think of it as a sports artifact and not a collection of individual cards. Just one opinion.