Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Buisness Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190055)

bnorth 06-26-2014 01:06 PM

Buisness Cards

2 Attachment(s)
I am a produce grower and sell at Farmers Markets. One of the markets uses venders business cards in their advertising so I needed to get something made. This is what I came up with using a template from Staples. Wanted to make it like an old tobacco card with ballplayer on one side and advertisement on the other.

The only thing I would have liked to do differently was to put a red border around the Ted Williams picture on the back to make it look similar to the T210 cards. What do you all think?

Bestdj777 06-26-2014 09:21 PM

I like it a lot. A red border would look awesome.

timzcardz 06-27-2014 10:24 AM

I think that the Williams estate would have an issue with you using the image in a commercial endeavor.

bnorth 06-27-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 1291949)
I think that the Williams estate would have an issue with you using the image in a commercial endeavor.

It is a business card I hand out for free I highly doubt the Williams estate will have a problem.

I can not imagine it being illegal but I am not a lawyer. We do have several on this forum. Any of you have thoughts on this?

Leon 06-28-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1292082)
It is a business card I hand out for free I highly doubt the Williams estate will have a problem.

I can not imagine it being illegal but I am not a lawyer. We do have several on this forum. Any of you have thoughts on this?

If they are given away for free I too doubt there would be an issue. I am not a lawyer though.

Bestdj777 06-28-2014 09:16 AM

I am a lawyer. I think it would look nice with a red border. Apart from that, I don't have any input into the actual legality of it as that is way outside my area of expertise.

packs 06-30-2014 09:24 AM

Not a lawyer BUT

Adding the red border I think means you've now made the image your own. There is some standard, I think it's that you have to alter an image something like 30 percent and the original image and copyright no longer apply, because you've now created a new image.

So if you're really worried about it, I'd add the red border and maybe a closer crop or something like that.

bnorth 06-30-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1292832)
Not a lawyer BUT

Adding the red border I think means you've now made the image your own. There is some standard, I think it's that you have to alter an image something like 30 percent and the original image and copyright no longer apply, because you've now created a new image.

So if you're really worried about it, I'd add the red border and maybe a closer crop or something like that.

I did crop the picture over 30% to get the image the way I wanted it.

If I could have figured out how to add the red border I would have. I will have the cards in hand Wednesday.

autograf 06-30-2014 10:16 AM

Wouldn't you want an email address and/or name and/or phone number on it too.......other than that, love the Ted Williams...........

bnorth 06-30-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1292861)
Wouldn't you want an email address and/or name and/or phone number on it too.......other than that, love the Ted Williams...........

I sell at 3 Farmers Markets and to 1 store. I do not want people showing up at my greenhouse or calling while I am trying to get something done. The card is just for 1 of the Markets to advertise I will be there to sell produce.

I am famous(LOL) here for my mini cucumbers and chocolate cherry tomatoes. So the market wants to let people know I will be there.

bnorth 07-03-2014 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got them in the mail yesterday. I am happy with them.

If any of you collect oddball items and want one PM me your address and I will send you one out for free via PWE or send me a SASE.

bnorth 07-05-2014 04:33 PM

Handed out the cards at the Farmers Market today. Most customers are 60+ in age with all but 2 of the men being baseball fans today. Besides all of them being surprised that a young(45) guy like me would even know who Ted Williams was they all said he was the best player they have ever seen in their lifetime.

Made the market even more fun than normal with all the baseball talk instead of customers asking for gardening tips.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 07-07-2014 06:53 AM

I just saw this thread. I actually know something about this topic. In Florida and Louisiana the use of Williams' image could be actionable - the exact wording eludes me at the moment but I believe it is misappropriation of a likeness. However I doubt anyone is going to raise a fuss over it, or even know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk