Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1947 Mabley & Carew Boys Shops- Photo Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=119019)

Leon 12-26-2009 12:20 PM

1947 Mabley & Carew Boys Shops- Photo Cards

I have a few items from this mfg of photo-card giveaways. Anyone have anymore info on them, other than what is in the Krause Big Book? The checklist in the 2009 book is incomplete.

Chris Counts 12-27-2009 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been trying to get some info on some that I have as well from 1948 and 1949. They have the same markings on the back of the photos ("This picture may not be rented nor used for advertising purposes ... The Cincinnati Baseball Club") as many I've seen that were produced by the Reds from the 1930s through the 1960s ...

Leon 12-27-2009 01:19 PM

thanks

Hey Chris
Thanks for posting. I got the 1947 date from the SCD plus the fact it shows a 1948 schedule. I guess it could be 1948. Here is one I just picked up.....I really haven't seen too many of them before...

http://luckeycards.com/phunc1947mableyandcarewklus.jpg

Chris Counts 12-27-2009 01:53 PM

On Frank Ward's website, there's a Bill Werber photo displayed that has almost the same back, and I believe it has similar dimensions. It's the last item listed in his 1930-39 section. I wonder if the Mabley and Carew "cards" from the late 40s are simply team-issued Reds photos that were inserted into Mabley and Carew folders?

Leon 12-27-2009 06:22 PM

the question then

I can certainly see them using a set put out by the team in 1948. The SCD doesn't list a team set for that year but I have seen some things be uncataloged (can I say that?). :)

fkw 12-27-2009 09:18 PM

Hi, back is similar....
but I believe the ca.1939 Weber was a bit smaller, I believe 2.5" by 3.5" (modern card size).

PS. I think Leon has it now too :)

paul 12-29-2009 12:08 PM

Several of these were on ebay a couple of months ago. The seller listed them as being from various years -- some from 1947, some 1948, and some 1949. For some years, he had the original folder that they came in, which included a schedule or some other indication of date. If I remember correctly, he didn't have that kind of confirmation for the 1949s, but for some reason seemed confident of the date.

glenv 12-30-2009 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Supposedly I have Mableys from '47, '48, '49, and '51. Not sure how to date them, unless they come with the folder. Below are scans of the '47, '48, & '51 folders, which confirms that Mabley issued cards in those years. It would only seem logical that they gave out cards in '49 & '50 (and maybe other years too), but I haven't seen folders for any other years. There are lots of Reds photos in different sizes. Does anyone have more information on which were Mableys, team issues, or something else? Or how to determine the year of issue?

Attachment 11613 Attachment 11614 Attachment 11615

Chris Counts 12-30-2009 04:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A surprising number of these photos ended up on other baseball cards. Here are two from the '49 set that ended up in the 1950 Bowman set ...

Chris Counts 12-30-2009 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's another ...

Bob Lemke 01-05-2010 03:42 PM

More to come in 2011 SCBC

We'll be adding several more of the Mabley & Carew sets to the 2011 Standard Catalog.

Chris Counts 04-14-2010 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've recently picked up a few more '30s and '40s Reds photos, so I decided to put them side by side and compare them. All but the Kiki Cuyler have the same words on the back as the previously displayed Mabley and Carew photos. The Cuyler is definitely from 1935; the Hank Gowdy is likely 1939 (see the patch on his shoulder); the photo of Eric Tipton was likely issued in 1944 or 1945; and the last image is a Mabley and Carew of Kent Peterson that was sold as a 1949 issue. While the size varies from year to year, it is my belief these photos likely came from the same source and that Mabley and Carew simply inserted them into its folders. In another thread, Frank Wakefield said he believes the photos came from Quality Photo Shop, which was located on Vine Street in Cincinnati and issued photos like these during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Until I hear or see anything more compelling, I'm going to go with Frank's explanation. As for their value, I find it hard to believe that any of these should be worth significantly more or less than any of the others, although I see the Mabley and Carew cards on occasion with some pretty big price tags on them ...

Leon 04-15-2010 07:09 AM

thanks

Thanks for posting those, Chris. If there is a '49 series, and it looks like there certainly is, then I need a card from that series too!! With no years on them I guess all we have to go by are the checklists on the packets.

Leon 06-02-2011 02:21 PM

update

1 Attachment(s)
After more thought and comparisons I believe this smaller card, and the largest card, are only other Red's issued cards......there is some different wording on one of them and that might be an indicator of which are Mabley and Carew......not positive as of now though......regards

Chris Counts 06-03-2011 12:45 PM

As a Reds collector, I'm always amazed by how many Reds photos of varying sizes I can find on eBay at any given time, particularly from the 1940s. While some of the photos are shot in Crosley Field, most are taken in spring training. Ranging from the 30s to the 60s, they're all clearly done by a professional who has a relationship with the team. I'm not sure team-issued would be a sure thing. It's possible a local photographer had a longstanding relationship with the team and handled the distribution. Frank's idea where they come from makes sense to me. As for the Mabry and Carew "cards," the photos bear so much resemblance to the others that I figure they have to be related, very much like the various e92s are related. That's my take, anyway ...

SteveMitchell 11-28-2018 04:37 PM

1949 & 1954 Mabley & Carew Cincinnati Reds photo cards

A while ago I tried to find more information on Mabley & Carew (M & C) photo cards than what little the 2011 Standard Catalog and 2nd edition of Standard Vintage Catalog offered. (I have the 6th edition on the way.)

I acquired an interesting lot recently which features (what looks to be) stamped facsimile autographs on some, actual autographs on others and no autographs (but names typed on back) for still more. All are black and white 5" to 5-1/8" by 7" photographs.

1949 (based on the years players performed for Cincinnati): Most have names typed on reverse with a few autographed (Tony Cuccinello, Hank Sauer and Moe Savransky). The disclaimer "This picture may not be rented nor used for advertising purposes. THE CINCINNATI BASEBALL CLUB CO." is in smaller type with the message in upper and lower case type.

1954: On the reverse side, names are actual autographs (11) and facsimiles (9) while the disclaimer is larger and in all caps with The Cincinnati Baseball Club Co. in upper and lower case.

No card mentions Mabley & Carew. I have to wonder if they are M & C's or simply Cincinnati Reds photos?

Steve Mitchell