Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Scary future of our hobby (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242361)

tazdmb 07-14-2017 11:43 AM

Scary future of our hobby

3 Attachment(s)
So, it looks like the new fad is for buying multi signed historic banquets/documents. Cutting up and ERASING blemishes and flipping for a Huge profit. This beautiful banquet menu was recently sold for about $4,500. The buyer cut it up (I understand it is his right) and then "Cleaned up" the markings from the Ruth by erasing the above signature going through the "R" in Ruth. Notice the signiture above Ruth's is no longer evidence in the cut. He later resubmitted to JSA and it came back authentic-no mention of altering. Now he is "Razzing" (raffling) , with no mention of the alteration.

bn2cardz 07-14-2017 11:53 AM

That is very sad. That was a museum piece turned into a "run of the mill" cut auto.

tazdmb 07-14-2017 12:03 PM

The "cut" part has been happening for a while, but the altering/erasing part is new to me.

ronniehatesjazz 07-14-2017 01:23 PM

Very sad

David Atkatz 07-14-2017 01:44 PM

F*^%ing Jimmy. Could it be more obvious that that cut has been altered?

yanksfan09 07-14-2017 02:59 PM

That's terrible, quite disgusting really. A beautiful piece of history with Ruth and Gehrig marking a special occasion, many other tough signatures too. All together on a beautiful piece, now not only is the Ruth signature tainted by the undisclosed alteration, the rest of the piece is destroyed and probably chopped up into 20 or so pieces. Just gross. That piece would look gorgeous framed up with a photo of Ruth and Gehrig and some other Yankees maybe now its just more generic "cuts".

Klrdds 07-14-2017 03:16 PM

Jimmy "Anything For A Buck " Spence strikes again !
The item is so obviously altered and no mention of it.
Maybe it won't sell .

tazdmb 07-14-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1680932)
Jimmy "Anything For A Buck " Spence strikes again !
The item is so obviously altered and no mention of it.
Maybe it won't sell .

No, it is going to sell for about $4,100. You should join Autographs 101 on facebook. . But the amount of "razzes" (raffles) they have is crazy. There has to be over 10K members on there and each one could care less about a real autograph, as long as it is authenticated. The only good thing is you can see that there are a lot of "young kids" that still care about autographs, as opposed to say-Stamps.

yanks12025 07-14-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1680937)
No, it is going to sell for about $4,100. You should join Autographs 101 on facebook. Hustling and selling autographs for inflated prices is huge there. You can hear the drool every time a Mantle or Ruth changes hands for inflated prices. But the amount of "razzes" (raffles) they have is crazy. There has to be over 10K members on there and each one could care less about a real autograph, as long as it is authenticated. The only good thing is you can see that there are a lot of "young kids" that still care about autographs, as opposed to say-Stamps.

The raffles are on a different FB page then 101

Big Six 07-14-2017 04:42 PM

Horrible. That said, why the awful cut so close to the "R" in Ruth...if they were erasing the extraneous ink, could have done a better cut. Yuck...not the Ruth I'd want in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk