Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Talk, about junk cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231315)

hysell 11-17-2016 12:13 PM

Talk, about junk cards?

What about all of those {UV} coated cards, from the years of 1994 to around 2004 years? I have so many sets ,that are stuck together like bricks,now?Have you ever tried to pull them apart,they are junk?Just like other recalls, shoudn"t
these card companies be held accountable?For this reason, I do not collect new cards anymore! I'v been collecting for over 40 + years,now?Would like to have your thoughts on these {JUNK} years cards?Thanks for reading & your replies,ROBERT.

bnorth 11-17-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hysell (Post 1602887)
What about all of those {UV} coated cards, from the years of 1994 to around 2004 years? I have some many sets ,that are stuck together like bricks,now?Have you ever tried to pull them apart,they are junk?Just like other recalls,shoundn"t these card companies be held accountable?For this reason, I do not collect new cards anymore! I'v been collecting for over 40 + years,now?Would like to have your thoughts on these {JUNK} years cards?Thanks for reading & your replies,ROBERT.

Throw them in the freezer and they will easily pop apart.

profholt82 12-16-2016 09:23 AM

After 1992 or so, many of the cards that I have in old cardboard boxes are stuck together. Some sets are worse offenders than others. The shift from standard stock cardboard cards to those with a glossy veneer has proven to be a short-sighted decision. I don't have enough of the 80s Tiffany sets to see if the stickiness is an issue with them, although only the fronts of those are glosssy, not the backs, so I imagine there wouldn't be a problem with them.

I'll have to try the freezer trick with some of them to see if that will work. Has anyone else tried that or have a different method for unsticking the glossy 90s cards?

swarmee 12-16-2016 02:57 PM

Freezer is the standard trick. I actually bought a complete set of 1992 Classic 4Sport Gold which was stuck together, just pulled it apart by hand, and the Jeter graded a PSA 9. So it's kind of luck of the draw.
And really? Claiming malpractice or needing a warranty after 15-20 years? That's pretty funny. Long past the time to return the items or claim damages due to negligence, and they're stuck together normally from being left in non-climate controlled garages and attics and storage sheds.

hysell 12-18-2016 10:57 AM

Sorry,John!

Johnny,I have {never } left my UV junk cards in a garage,attic or anytype of a storage units of any kind! Try my home I live in! Here In Missouri, we have big temp"s swings! It can hit over 100 ,in the summer times ,with humid air that can hit 70 to 90%.It also goes to under 15 to 20 below {0} ,in the winter time,in fact the Chiefs game in K.C. will set a all-time record for a high temp for a game ,today!So it is the card companies fault, not mine!Robert D.Hysell!!!!!!!:mad:

bnorth 12-18-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hysell (Post 1611729)
Johnny,I have {never } left my UV junk cards in a garage,attic or anytype of a storage units of any kind! Try my home I live in! Here In Missouri, we have big temp"s swings! It can hit over 100 ,in the summer times ,with humid air that can hit 70 to 90%.It also goes to under 15 to 20 below {0} ,in the winter time,in fact the Chiefs game in K.C. will set a all-time record for a high temp for a game ,today!So it is the card companies fault, not mine!Robert D.Hysell!!!!!!!:mad:

Must be nice living in a multi-million dollar climate controlled house. What do you keep the humidity and temperature levels set at?:rolleyes:

I worked at Whiteman AFB so I understand the extreme humidity and temperature changes you are describing. So us mere mortals with normal homes have huge differences in both humidity and temperature inside that also cause these cards to stick together. It is nobodys fault, it is part of life. Now if you decide to sue the card companies please let us know how it goes.:)

hysell 12-18-2016 07:32 PM

Thanks!

Thank you Ben & 2004 is not 15 to 20 years old? IF it was a air-bag or other recalls,Guess those people have the right to have it fixed & I get the safety thing?So maybe we collectors have not paid enough money out for worthless products? I have heard the penny sleeves & single in pages thing,but they still stick! So we do not have the right to put cards in a set box? I like a bunch, of us {card collectors} work hard for my money too,by the way ,that"s when pack prices went from .50 to .60 cents a pack, up to the $1.00 a pack for the base sets cards,thank GOD I didn"t fall for the Stadium Club higher end cards!But the pitchers on those high end cards are nice!For the law suite thing, I think a bunch of us card collectors should be in on that part?Just my thoughts!Thanks for your reply good or bad.Robert D.Hysell.:eek: