Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Authentication Help on some HOF greats (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254437)

vogl13 04-30-2018 07:27 PM

Authentication Help on some HOF greats

12 Attachment(s)
I am new to net54 and this is my first post. I have been collecting autographs and cards for more than 25 years. But for the past 15 years that all took a backseat to raising my kids and work. All of my autographs where collected pre-PSA, JSA, etc. I am hoping I can draw on the members expertise to help give me an idea of the authenticity of what I have. I have more than 100 autos in all, around 45 single signed HOF balls, 3X5s, cuts and more. I will be interested in selling some of my stuff. So thanks in advance, I'll start things off with 6 of my best HOF autos that I framed up myself over 20 years ago. Got most of these at the 1996 National Card Show in Anaheim. I have print LOAs for these, but these days those aren't worth the paper they are printed on. But that was a different time and many of the guys I got these from are still in the Biz. I also have receipts for most. Attached are my six they are: Babe Ruth (pencil), Jackie Robinson (pencil), Dizzy Dean, Rogers Hornsby, Larry Lajoie and George Sisler. Look them over and let me know what you think.

ocjack 05-01-2018 07:49 AM

I have doubts about the Ruth and Dean.

tazdmb 05-01-2018 07:56 AM

Welcome, there is actually an autograph section where Leon should move this to. I actually like the Dean, but agree with the Ruth-I am also not sure on the Lajoie.

Leon 05-01-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1772052)
Welcome, there is actually an autograph section where Leon should move this to. I actually like the Dean, but agree with the Ruth-I am also not sure on the Lajoie.

Thanks.....moved to correct place. Good luck to the OP....

theshleps 05-01-2018 08:49 AM

Dizzy looks good as opposed to some of the nicer wife signed.

vogl13 05-01-2018 10:05 AM

Babe Ruth story

Thanks for moving this to the right section, sorry I put it in the wrong place. Thought I would share the story of the Ruth I was told at the 96 National. I bought this from Rich Altman (who still operates Hollywood Collectibles and is considered by some to be a top 10 dealer). Here's what he told me back then. You will notice the looping ink mark through the Babe's signature. The Ruth signature was in an old flip up notebook pad along with several other signatures. The owner (not Rich) had it with him when he got an autograph from Jackie Smith (the football TE best known for dropping the Cowboy pass in the Super Bowl). Instead of signing at the bottom in the open space he wrote lengthwise across the page ruining several signatures along with the Ruth. Don't know about the if you think ads more or less credibility or not. But I thought it did and I got a discounted Ruth auto as a result. So does any of that make a difference or do i just have a good story. I am appreciating your help, Thanks.

David Atkatz 05-01-2018 10:09 AM

The Ruth is very rushed. But it's also very good.

mr2686 05-01-2018 10:29 AM

I wasn't going to comment on the Ruth because it does look rushed, but if David says it's good, it's good.
I also think the rest are good as well.

Bpm0014 05-01-2018 12:49 PM

The Ruth is very rushed. But it's also very good.

I only know Ruth. It's just his rushed version but David is correct. 100% authentic.

vogl13 05-01-2018 10:51 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all your help and opinions so far. Sounds like I got a thumbs up from David the resident Ruth expert, thanks to him. I will post a few more tomorrow.

Kco 05-04-2018 08:11 AM

Every auto you posted is good, nice pieces!