Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   0 Bids (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235371)

frankbmd 02-14-2017 09:50 AM

0 Bids

I rarely look at newly listed buy it now auctions or listings searching for bargains. Rather I usually focus on time ending soonest auction listings looking for bargains with the benefit of instant gratification should I prevail. However, using this technique, there seems to be an epidemic of the "museum auction" recently. Scanning the auctions that are ending today on any given day, and finding an auction with at least one bid can be a challenge. I have trained myself not to look at the card or the price and if the auction has "0 Bids", I look no further and move on.

I would like to be able to exclude (0 Bid) auctions from my search criteria to eliminate the need to wade through the "museum auctions" every day.

rdixon1208 02-14-2017 10:02 AM

On the top right of the page there is a link that says "Advanced"

This will take you to a long list of advanced search options, one of which is number of bids. Just set the minimum at 1 and save.

frankbmd 02-14-2017 10:13 AM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdixon1208 (Post 1630753)
On the top right of the page there is a link that says "Advanced"

This will take you to a long list of advanced search options, one of which is number of bids. Just set the minimum at 1 and save.

I did not know that. Dumb and dumber just got smarter.;)

Thanks.

fduran27 02-14-2017 11:50 AM

what are museum auctions?

gregr2 02-14-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fduran27 (Post 1630781)

Auctions with high starting bids that never get bid on. They run the length of the auction with no bids, the seller then starts the process over again with the same high starting bid, repeat, repeat, repeat.

hangman62 02-14-2017 12:30 PM

bid

absolute waste of time !

pawpawdiv9 02-14-2017 12:36 PM

I use the 'advanced settings' all the time.
I also type in -reprint in the search, so it basically gets rid of half the $%^ I am not looking for.
It also doesn't hurt to put a minimum bid range, sometime a maximum is used to exclude those musueum piece as well.
BTW..for those unable to see the best offer accepted--I use www.watchcount.com

BeanTown 02-14-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fduran27 (Post 1630781)

bmw

fduran27 02-14-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr2 (Post 1630783)
Auctions with high starting bids that never get bid on. They run the length of the auction with no bids, the seller then starts the process over again with the same high starting bid, repeat, repeat, repeat.

thank you very much

Beastmode 02-14-2017 04:47 PM

I stopped looking at BIN's about 2 years. I only look at auctions with more than 3-5 bids. BIN's, IMO, are a complete waste of time vs. effort. Sure, I may miss out on the .003 percent of BIN's that are a bargin, but I enjoy the hobby so much more just having my searches look at real auctions.

Most BIN sellers are trollers looking for whales or folks that have no clue. Like they say on Wall Street; there's an endless line of bidiots.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-14-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmode (Post 1630879)
I stopped looking at BIN's about 2 years. I only look at auctions with more than 3-5 bids. BIN's, IMO, are a complete waste of time vs. effort. Sure, I may miss out on the .003 percent of BIN's that are a bargin, but I enjoy the hobby so much more just having my searches look at real auctions.

Most BIN sellers are trollers looking for whales or folks that have no clue. Like they say on Wall Street; there's an endless line of bidiots.

As a seller who uses BIN's almost exclusively and makes a living doing so with customers such as Leon Luckey and Ste.ve Na.polit.ano, you may want to rethink this a little. My store's a little sparse right now, but over the next few weeks it will be massively reloaded.

Snapolit1 02-14-2017 06:44 PM

Hard to lump all BINs all into one category. I think there are basically 3 types:

1. The show off. The museum pieces. Look at what an amazing card I have. I realize no one is going to pay me $75,000 for it, but look what a cool card I have, etc., etc. If you miss it now come back in a year and it will still be here because I really don't want to sell it.

2. The real dealers. People like Scott who list cool stuff at fair prices, because this is what they do for a living and they like selling stuff.

3. The fast cash guys. Guys who found something they really really want and will sell something quickly today to raise money fast, often at a good price.

I like 2 and 3. I've been 3. No. 1 don't like much.

Scott looking forward to seeing your new stuff.

bn2cardz 02-15-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1630793)
I use the 'advanced settings' all the time.
I also type in -reprint in the search, so it basically gets rid of half the $%^ I am not looking for.
It also doesn't hurt to put a minimum bid range, sometime a maximum is used to exclude those musueum piece as well.
BTW..for those unable to see the best offer accepted--I use www.watchcount.com

I use to remove "reprint" from my searches, but then I started noticing auction listings with "not a reprint" that would sell at good deals so I stopped that practice.

bobbyw8469 02-15-2017 11:25 AM

IMHO, Ebay has gotten pretty bad. I start items via auction at the bare minimum I will accept, and the bids just aren't there like they used to be in the past. Sometimes I start a card at a penny, and I don't want to do free shipping, because I am worried that the card will end at the penny, and it will cost me money to sell items on Ebay.

Yoda 02-15-2017 01:43 PM

If the bank balance can handle it then sometimes going BIN on a card long coveted may be the only solution. For example, not long ago I pounced on a just listed 1936 WWG Gehrig, a card I have stalked seemingly forever without success. It was, of course, more than I wanted to spend, but I figured when will I see it again?
And I remember when the Dead Sea was healthy.