Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fall Pinback Exhibition (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213821)

ooo-ribay 01-06-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 1488696)
Finally added one of these to my dimensonial research 3ds. I had never seen the pirates one before. Here are a few of the others I have...

That's way cool, Al! You have the two SF Giants, don't you?

batsballsbases 01-06-2016 06:55 PM

yes!!;)

Hankphenom 03-03-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1485792)
I'm curious about the pins below. They have the design of the crossed bats pins, but only have the team name in the center. Besides these two, I have seen the Detroit Tigers, Indians, and St Louis Cardinals. They are not very common and I was wondering if pin collectors out there have seen other teams? Surely the Yankees have one. Possibly the Red Sox, Cubs, Braves?

I have the Washington version. It's gray and, curiously, only has "Washington" in the middle, no nickname, but otherwise it's the same design as yours. You can see it in post #43 in this thread.

MK 03-03-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 1511142)
I have the Washington version. It's gray and, curiously, only has "Washington" in the middle, no nickname, but otherwise it's the same design as yours. You can see it in post #43 in this thread.

That makes 6 different teams with this odd style I have seen. Dodgers, Giants, Detroit, Cardinals, Indians and Washington. Would love to know the story behind these. Did the makers of the crossed-bats pins get lazy one day? Why are they so scarce? Were all teams at that time produced? Hard to believe one for the Yankees hasn't surfaced. For that matter, the Cubs, Braves, Red Sox, Reds, or Phillies.

Hankphenom 03-03-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1511203)
That makes 6 different teams with this odd style I have seen. Dodgers, Giants, Detroit, Cardinals, Indians and Washington. Would love to know the story behind these. Did the makers of the crossed-bats pins get lazy one day? Why are they so scarce? Were all teams at that time produced? Hard to believe one for the Yankees hasn't surfaced. For that matter, the Cubs, Braves, Red Sox, Reds, or Phillies.

My Washington version is the only one I've ever seen in many years of collecting and dealing in Washington memorabilia, so the rarity of these is clearly off the charts. Makes me wonder why? And why the two Brooklyn colors? I'm thinking they didn't include a nickname and use smaller print for mine, as they did with Brooklyn, because they didn't know whether to call them the Senators or Nationals, which were used interchangeably back then. I'd peg the vintage as 1930s, going by size and graphics, what's your guess? I assume Muchinsky didn't have them.

MK 03-03-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 1511253)
My Washington version is the only one I've ever seen in many years of collecting and dealing in Washington memorabilia, so the rarity of these is clearly off the charts. Makes me wonder why? And why the two Brooklyn colors? I'm thinking they didn't include a nickname and use smaller print for mine, as they did with Brooklyn, because they didn't know whether to call them the Senators or Nationals, which were used interchangeably back then. I'd peg the vintage as 1930s, going by size and graphics, what's your guess? I assume Muchinsky didn't have them.

Muchinsky had a few in his book. Indians, Cardinals, Tigers, Giants and Baltimore Orioles, which I missed earlier. That puts the total to 7 seen. Would guess they are from the 40s or 50s, but could have been earlier. Would still love to see other teams if anyone has them.

Hankphenom 03-04-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1511262)
Muchinsky had a few in his book. Indians, Cardinals, Tigers, Giants and Baltimore Orioles, which I missed earlier. That puts the total to 7 seen. Would guess they are from the 40s or 50s, but could have been earlier. Would still love to see other teams if anyone has them.

An Orioles version makes the dating easier, 1954 at the earliest, assuming no minor league teams.