Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Let's recommend some movies (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248873)

Prof_Plum 12-23-2017 10:03 AM

There's a bunch of Coen brother's movies I like; too many to name.

A better than I expected somewhat recent movie (not Coen) is "Hacksaw Ridge"

chlankf 12-23-2017 02:38 PM

worked in video rental store from 86-06

1 Attachment(s)
At the movie rental business I worked at, my fathers, we specialized in older and odd/rare titles. Our inventory had almost 20k different titles.

Some of my favorite, I like horror, sci-fi and ones where the bad guy wins.

Brain Dead, mind bending Bill Pullman film.
Fallen, Denzel at his best.
Altered States, William Hurt masterpiece.
Falling Down, Michael Douglas portraying how all people have felt at one time.
Soylent Green, the great Charlton Heston, referencing women as furniture. Wow has time changed.

All-Time favorite horror/gore/comedy...guy straps a lawnmower to his chest and walks through a room of undead. Brilliant and hilarious scene.

Dead Alive

earlywynnfan 12-23-2017 03:45 PM

On break for the holidays, had to order up The Big Country to watch again. Western, but much bigger than "just" a western.

Thought Hacksaw Ridge was phenomenal, really liked Dunkirk.

My friends keep telling me to see Thor, it's not just a silly comic book movie, supposedly really funny, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you're ever in the mood for dumb/funny/action, you can't beat Big Trouble in Little China!

RichardSimon 12-23-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1731921)
Hell or High Water. Think it came out in 2016. Awesome movie not many people saw.

I always recommend Almost Famous to people if you are a fan of 70s rock and music journalism.

Anything by Richard Linklater.

+++++ two great movies.

glynparson 12-25-2017 07:57 AM

Wonder Boys
Everybody Wants Some
Hidden Figures

Not a great movie but a movie that is greatly enjoyable if you don't need cinematic genius with your films:
Midnight Madness, is as enjoyable as any movie i have ever seen but it is silly 1980s style humor. Something for which I am admittedly a sucker .

RichardSimon 12-25-2017 10:55 AM

Just saw The Big Sick,, if you like really good rom coms then this is for you. It scored a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

barrysloate 12-26-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1732679)
Just saw The Big Sick,, if you like really good rom coms then this is for you. It scored a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I saw Big Sick, and thought it was great.

vintagewhitesox 12-28-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1732811)
I saw Big Sick, and thought it was great.

I saw this on Monday. Loved it. Aidy Bryant is very very funny. (not just in this movie, I think she's a riot on SNL).

tedzan 12-28-2017 07:34 PM

Dunkirk ( Dunkerque) is a very realistic presentation of a major event at the start of WWII.....it is very highly recommended.

Then follow it up with Darkest Hour (currently showing in most theatres). This movie portrays Winston Churchill's early days
as Prime Minister in the Spring of 1940 and his struggle with the "appeasement" politicians which he had to deal with leading
up to the events in Dunkirk. Gary Oldman (Churchill) deserves an Academy Award for his performance.

TED Z

Snapolit1 12-29-2017 09:06 AM

Dunkirk was excellent. Saw it in the theater. Was rivieting. Was amazing to me how little dialogue there was in spors. It had the effect of really putting you in the middle of it all, which is sort of the point of any movie. Don't need a ton of dialogue on a good war movie. Let the action tell the story.