Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Any World Junior Hockey fans here? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232960)

irv 12-26-2016 07:03 PM

Any World Junior Hockey fans here?

I never miss it. Been a Christmas/family tradition for years!
http://www.tsn.ca/2017-world-junior-...edule-1.484332

Canada/Russia currently tied 1-1.

The U.S. is suppose to have a good squad this year. Not sure what I enjoy more, the Can/Russ games or the Can/U.S. games?

grainsley 12-27-2016 08:43 AM

Iihf

Oh yeah, great hockey, we'll see a few of these kids in the NHL next year. Da Da, Canada....Nyet nyet, Soviet.

Writehooks 12-27-2016 11:58 PM

As part of the Chinese government's big push to popularize winter sports ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics here, the WJHC is being televised (delayed) in Beijing and Shanghai. And yesterday, when I was wearing my Team Canada sweater in a downtown bar, three Chinese guys asked me to sit with them and explain the rules while a game involving Beijing's KHL expansion team (Kunlun Red Star) aired on the big screen ...

boysblue 12-28-2016 05:46 AM

The hockey is terrific--nothing like super-talented athletes playing for national pride and for the opportunity to impact their financial future at the same time. I really enjoy watching it. However, it is also one of the most over-hyped and one-sided sporting events on the North American calendar.

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event, which is why the powers-that-be have decided it has to be held in Canada (or in border cities like Buffalo) virtually ever year. No Canadian fans = no $ success.

nicknock-2013 12-28-2016 10:31 AM

Been catching grief because I'm glued to the recliner watching. Will she ever learn? Guess not..
Thanks for the schedule link Irv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RTK 12-28-2016 11:02 AM

Definitely a fan, thank goodness for the NHL network in the US otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch. WJ is probably the most under rated sports event in the states. Two upsets so far this year, Canada as usual dominates. I looked at tickets just for grins, it's hard to believe good seats are available for every games except the US/Canada. I'd love to attend some day, although it'll probably never be played outside of Canada when it's in North America.

RTK 12-28-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysblue (Post 1614554)
The hockey is terrific--nothing like super-talented athletes playing for national pride and for the opportunity to impact their financial future at the same time. I really enjoy watching it. However, it is also one of the most over-hyped and one-sided sporting events on the North American calendar.

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event, which is why the powers-that-be have decided it has to be held in Canada (or in border cities like Buffalo) virtually ever year. No Canadian fans = no $ success.

Thus, it'll never grow outside of Canada, essentially allowing Canada to always have home ice advantage, not to mention no overseas travel....biasing Canada an advantage.

Stampsfan 12-29-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event

+1

It's overhyped because outside of a few regional broadcasts, TSN has zero hockey presence. It's all they got for months.

If Canada doesn't play, it's a bunch of games that nobody cares about in this country. You can get tickets for as low as $6.

Outside of an NFL exhibition game, is there anything more boring that watching a thrashing in a kids game? The last game, what was it? Six shots on goal against Canada for the entire game?

Overhyped??? You bet.

boysblue 12-30-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1614647)
Definitely a fan, thank goodness for the NHL network in the US otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch. WJ is probably the most under rated sports event in the states. Two upsets so far this year, Canada as usual dominates. I looked at tickets just for grins, it's hard to believe good seats are available for every games except the US/Canada. I'd love to attend some day, although it'll probably never be played outside of Canada when it's in North America.

I think it is being held in Buffalo next year. Tickets will be relatively easy to come by for most preliminary games, except those involving Canada.

The event was held in Buffalo seven or eight years ago, so my wife and I went down for a few days. I remember paying $160 for a pair of so-so seats for Canada-Norway, and then the next day paying something like $16 for a pair of 10th row red-line seats for Switzerland-Czech Republic. Nobody bothered unless it was a Canada game (at least in the prelims), and Canadian fans could make the short drive into the USA.

irv 12-31-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

I respectfully disagree, Boysblue. Look at what just happened with the Finland coaching staff. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...oaching-staff/
Although some of these countries are out of the spotlight, WJH is still very important/popular in other countries throughout the world.

Attendance at these events in other parts of the world is also up there, not just Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_attendance

Granted, with the increases in ticket prices, the fans have been few and far between, depending on who is playing, especially, but the same can be said about 2 underachieving NHL teams as well.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3152814/lo...world-juniors/

Of course it is most popular in Canada for obvious reasons, but to say it is not popular in other parts of the world is, well, just wrong, imo.

Should be a good game in another 45 minutes. Looking forward to it. :)

irv 01-04-2017 08:07 PM

Going to be a heck of a game tomorrow!! :cool:

irv 01-04-2017 08:09 PM

Going to be a heck of a game tomorrow!! :cool:

Canada-U.S. final.

Go Canada! :D

RTK 01-07-2017 10:11 AM

It was a great game, for the US to come back against Canada twice. One of the better hockey games I've seen, kind of unfortunate it had to be determined by a shootout.

irv 01-07-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1618023)
It was a great game, for the US to come back against Canada twice. One of the better hockey games I've seen, kind of unfortunate it had to be determined by a shootout.

Got to hand it to them. The U.S. coming back like they did. I was thinking, OK boys, lets protect our lead when we were up 4-2, but that didn't last long.

Truthfully, I am surprised our boys went to the Gold Medal game. Imo, they just didn't look as good as years past but they surprised me.

From what I heard, the U.S. had a very strong team from the get go and were favored to win it.

Excellent game either way. Both sides were completely out of gas!

RTK 01-08-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1618095)
Got to hand it to them. The U.S. coming back like they did. I was thinking, OK boys, lets protect our lead when we were up 4-2, but that didn't last long.

Truthfully, I am surprised our boys went to the Gold Medal game. Imo, they just didn't look as good as years past but they surprised me.

From what I heard, the U.S. had a very strong team from the get go and were favored to win it.

Excellent game either way. Both sides were completely out of gas!

The game is growing here. It's good for the game. Non traditional hockey cities now have growing youth hockey programs. nay of them influence by ex NHL'ers I think the game is attracting people who don't want their kid's involved in football too. It's more family oriented too.
I'd like to see the WJ tournament grow to the point where it doesn't have to be in a Canadian city to draw a crowd. I'd be ecstatic if it came to the Chicago.

The big surprise to me was Finland not playing well. Sometimes I think Canada over thinks it's team, maybe it's political, yet Canada could probably field three teams and have a good chance of winning gold, silver and bronze.

irv 01-09-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1618588)
The game is growing here. It's good for the game. Non traditional hockey cities now have growing youth hockey programs. nay of them influence by ex NHL'ers I think the game is attracting people who don't want their kid's involved in football too. It's more family oriented too.
I'd like to see the WJ tournament grow to the point where it doesn't have to be in a Canadian city to draw a crowd. I'd be ecstatic if it came to the Chicago.

The big surprise to me was Finland not playing well. Sometimes I think Canada over thinks it's team, maybe it's political, yet Canada could probably field three teams and have a good chance of winning gold, silver and bronze.

The friends we have made over the years is priceless. Even if our kids don't play on the same team(s) anymore, those friendships are still alive and healthy!

I could see Chicago working as every year, at least a team or 2 from my neck of woods travels there for a huge annual tournament.
There are many cities that come to mind state side so with the U.S. gaining ground each and every year, especially this one, I think your wish will shortly someday come true. :)

MacDice 01-09-2017 10:48 PM

Two players on team Canada play for the Junior team I work for so it was good to watch them play.

irv 01-10-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDice (Post 1619051)
Two players on team Canada play for the Junior team I work for so it was good to watch them play.

Lauzon and Myers?

MacDice 01-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1619299)
Lauzon and Myers?

No Hart and Juulsen