Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Two Things I Really Hate: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245967)

clydepepper 10-09-2017 09:44 PM

Two Things I Really Hate:

1 Attachment(s)
1.) Background music for every action replay, and even worse, for every graphic (I have even heard it for graphics displaying a particular managers win-loss record!). This started several years ago and I have never liked it.

2.) This new way 'image style' with the main subject clearly seen in the middle, but then a blurred portion of each L/R side of that picture. I first noticed it on news telecasts, but the 'art' has bled over to the sports channel.

Attachment 290484

Hopefully, the same person thought up both of these...so only one more person can go straight to hell!

Anyone else got broadcast beefs?

Butch7999 10-09-2017 10:15 PM

Play-by-play and color-commentary guys on hockey telecasts who, while action is in progress down on the ice,
yammer and yammer about absolutely nothing and utter crap for long stretches instead of describing the action,
sounding as excited as Perry Como and Bing Crosby filling time during a rain delay on a baseball broadcast.

MrSeven 10-09-2017 10:18 PM

#2 became popular when widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio televisions hit the market. Minimizes the amount of empty black space on the left & right that wouldn't have been as large with a 4:3 television.

It looks terrible when they do it with a video.

Jim65 10-10-2017 02:00 AM

I hate how every announcer thinks they clever or funny, I'm grateful every day that I am not a Yankee fan and had to listen to John Sterling and his ridiculous HR calls. What a clown.

Prof_Plum 10-10-2017 07:23 AM

One of my pet peeves is when announcers mention something like so-and-so is only the second (or third person) to do this (whatever)...and they never mention who the first person was to accomplish the feat. It's like they purposely leave me on the edge of my seat waiting. Basically anytime they say somebody was a runner-up without mentioning the first place guy.

Snapolit1 10-10-2017 07:44 AM

Even before his "sacks are full" comment, I was dumbfounded how awful Bob Costas was. Painful. His schtick is so deep you feel like every single thing out of his mouth was rehearsed in front of a mirror last night. Not all former players are good, but at least they've played the game and can offer experience based comments.

Snapolit1 10-10-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof_Plum (Post 1708931)
One of my pet peeves is when announcers mention something like so-and-so is only the second (or third person) to do this (whatever)...and they never mention who the first person was to accomplish the feat. It's like they purposely leave me on the edge of my seat waiting. Basically anytime they say somebody was a runner-up without mentioning the first place guy.

Sure they are just reading that off a fact sheet provided by the team or some intern.

bnorth 10-10-2017 09:36 AM

1) Waking up in the hospital.
2) Waking up in jail.
I have had both of these happen and I will say anything else is a very distant 3rd.:)

bobw 10-10-2017 01:05 PM

For some reason, the term "Walk Off" seems to bother me, such as when I hear....

Bobby Thomson hit a "walk off" HR or Mazeroski hit a "walk off" HR

Maybe I'm just old.

frankbmd 10-10-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1708974)
2) Waking up in jail.
I have had both of these happen and I will say anything else is a very distant 3rd.:)

1) Waking up in a ditch.
2) Not waking up.

ALR-bishop 10-10-2017 03:59 PM

Waking up in the hospital handcuffed to your bed.

bnorth 10-10-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1709080)
Waking up in the hospital handcuffed to your bed.

Done a lot of dumb stuff when I was much younger but never had that happen thankfully. I do have many versions of Franks waking up in a ditch.:D

digdugdig 10-10-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1709053)
1) Waking up in a ditch.
2) Not waking up.

A#1 .... Waking up next to someone and quoting Scooby Do ... "Roh roh"!!!

JollyElm 10-11-2017 03:44 AM

Waking up on the kitchen floor with a box of Lucky Charms spilled all over and around you. Thanks ambien.

vintagebaseballcardguy 10-11-2017 08:00 PM

1. Sick of exit velocity
2. Sick of launch angle

It seems like no one ever mentioned these before this season, but now announcers can't help themselves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The-Cardfather 10-12-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1708974)
2) Waking up in jail.

Ben,

That definitely puts things in the proper perspective.

#2 usually occurs when someone shoots a video or takes a photo using a cell phone.
It usually doesn't occur to the user to turn the cell phone sideways (horizontally).
Therefore, some sort of "filler" must be used on both sides if the video or photo is used on TV.