Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 " The Monster " by Bill Heitman (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348551)

SDGsports 04-18-2024 06:30 PM

T206 " The Monster " by Bill Heitman

I have been collecting T206 cards for a full year now.

I have been fortunate enough to meet some really cool (and helpful) dudes along the way (looking at you Cory Robinson). I've even met a guy who flew 1,400 miles with a binder full of Raw T206 to help me build my set (thank you Brendan Mullen) .... I am hooked. Currently 439/520 and I'm in the home stretch. I've knocked out all the SLers and Many of the tougher to find cards.

As I continue along this journey I keep finding other related items I'm interested in. Right now it's books.
I am going to buy T206 the Players and their Stories (Zappala) on Amazon.

Another one I'm looking for but I have not found is T206 "The Monster" by Bill Heitman. I have only seen the front and back cover, is this just a Checklist book?

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy?

Are there any other Must Have T206 books that I'm missing out on?

Also , anything Tom Downey related is on my list.

brass_rat 04-18-2024 06:55 PM

Use the search function for keyword "Heitman" -- there have been a few members selling copies on the BST for over the last several years, including a member who had a large group of them in 2017. No idea if these members still have them available.

It was a landmark publication in 1980, but 44 years later, folks have learned a lot. Great piece of history!

Cheers,
Steve

FrankWakefield 04-18-2024 10:54 PM

This would be an excellent resource for you, Mr. Reader has taken T206 research to a higher level.

https://oldcardboard.com/t/t206/Insi...al-edition.pdf

While it's a bit dated nowadays, I still find myself turning back to Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards volume 3.

There's more stuff out there...

SDGsports 04-19-2024 02:27 AM

That is an amazing resource, and while I only just skimmed thru, it seems like a really good read.

I'm going to print this out, but do you know if it was ever published? I'd love a hard cover copy.

FrankWakefield 04-19-2024 02:25 PM

Mr. Reader is on here occasionally.

I think his approach was to put this up on the internet and share his knowledge.

If he ever puts it in a book, I'd like to buy one and get him to sign it. And I too would prefer hardbound. I think it has not been printed.

sreader3 04-19-2024 07:30 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the plug. It was a joy to write that e-book and receive so much positive feedback. There is no hard cover version. Take good care.

Scot

ledsters 04-19-2024 09:21 PM

The Monster Bill Heitman

3 Attachment(s)
I have this one. Bill signed it for me years ago. What are these going for now? I might let this go.

Attachment 618748

Attachment 618749

Attachment 618750

Leon 04-20-2024 07:46 AM

I don't think they go for too much, but your signed one might be a bit more.

I met Bill once, at a National. He was going to give a speech at the Net54 dinner, but decided not to at the last minute. He seemed kind of quirky to me. Nice guy, but not your everyday Joe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledsters (Post 2428028)
I have this one. Bill signed it for me years ago. What are these going for now?

Attachment 618748

Attachment 618749

Attachment 618750

frankbmd 04-20-2024 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2428069)
I don't think they go for too much, but your signed one might be a bit more.

I met Bill once, at a National. He was going to give a speech at the Net54 dinner, but decided not to at the last minute. He seemed kind of quirky to me. Nice guy, but not your everyday Joe.

Leon,

I spent a wonderful afternoon with Bill. I guess that makes me quirky.

He was well aware of the Monster Number thread and threatened to sue me, in jest, for using the name monster, which I believe was first used in his little book.

He signed my copy of the "Monster" and had lots of tales about the "ancient" collectors (not old) that were interesting to say the least, as well as the story about how Farrah Fawcett got into his book. Thankfully you and I are only old, not ancient, and being a bit quirky is okay.;)

JollyElm 04-20-2024 03:01 PM

You gotta tell us, what exactly does that inscription say between “We shocked the world” and “My best in collecting”??

It seems to be some word maybe starting with an ‘L’ followed by “if it was only a 9 OC”???

ledsters 04-20-2024 03:32 PM

The entire passage:

Kevin,

To quote an old friend, “We shocked the world, even if it was only a 9OC”. My best in collecting.

Bill Heitman

Zach Wheat 04-22-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGsports (Post 2427717)
I have been collecting T206 cards for a full year now.....As I continue along this journey I keep finding other related items I'm interested in. Right now it's books.
I am going to buy T206 the Players and their Stories (Zappala) on Amazon.

One book which I found quite enthralling was The Glory of Their Times.. The book covers interviews and stories of the deadball era, told by the players in their own words. An audio book as well as a hardback version exists, with slightly different coverage in either version. I believe the printed version has more info due to the nature of audio recording equipment in the 1960's. I've probably listened to the book 7 or 8 times. The story Rube Marquard told about how he got in to baseball was fascinating. And Davey Jones...and Fred Merkle's boner (as the play is known). Absolutely fascinating to hear them tell the stories.

Cory 04-23-2024 08:26 AM

Another t206 "e-book"

The Mysteries of T206 - a nice quick read -

https://t206resource.com/Images/Publ...6Mysteries.pdf