Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So, is the 1952 Bartirome guy crazy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256312)

SMPEP 06-15-2018 09:02 AM

So, is the 1952 Bartirome guy crazy?

So, the 1952 Topps Bartirome card is now consider one of the 10 most expensive cards in the set. So, was the guy driving the price higher crazy - like people said at the time or visionary (meaning he created a craze and will like make money off of it)?

egri 06-15-2018 10:12 AM

I was going to say that he’s about ten cents short of a dollar, but then I considered some of his off-the-forum antics and decided he’s about ten cents short of a dime.

ALR-bishop 06-15-2018 10:26 AM

Was the guy banned here ?

rats60 06-15-2018 10:38 AM

Set collecting is losing popularity outside of the t206 set. The hobby has shifted towards rookie cards and superstar cards. Buying up a 1952 high number common is not a money maker. He is causing a few people to over pay, but in the end his beneficiaries will end up with a bunch of cards that will sell for a fraction of he paid for them.

bnorth 06-15-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1786899)
Was they guy banned here ?

Yes he was banned.

My only question, since his hoard has not hit the market that I know of, was he doing it to make $ or just have some fun manipulating the card market?

Republicaninmass 06-15-2018 10:57 AM

He's still buying, not sure if he has sold any. They appear pretty infrequently even in auction houses

savedfrommyspokes 06-15-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1786901)
Set collecting is losing popularity outside of the t206 set. The hobby has shifted towards rookie cards and superstar cards. Buying up a 1952 high number common is not a money maker. He is causing a few people to over pay, but in the end his beneficiaries will end up with a bunch of cards that will sell for a fraction of he paid for them.

IMO, there is indeed an increase in popularity with RC and star cards.

However, set collecting does not appear to be losing popularity with collectors. There are several complete sets on the registry I used to be ranked solidly in the top 20, now I am ranked in the 30s-40s for the active sets( I have not gone back and done any updating). This has happened in the past 2-3 years.

A prominent advertiser on this board auctions off 20K singles a week, 15k+ are commons....if set builders aren't buying all of these commons, I don't know who is.

If building the 52 set is losing popularity, the prices are not indicative of this. While I am 29 HI #s short of completion now, in Jan 2016 I was 40% complete and had an ATF rank of 120. Now a similar set has an ATF rank near 140. That means over the past 2.5 years, nearly 20 additional 52 sets have surpassed the point I was at in Jan 2016.

Ironically, fwiw, some years ago I picked up a psa 5 332 card for less than $150.

irv 06-18-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMPEP (Post 1786870)
So, the 1952 Topps Bartirome card is now consider one of the 10 most expensive cards in the set. So, was the guy driving the price higher crazy - like people said at the time or visionary (meaning he created a craze and will like make money off of it)?

Judging by previous sales, I'd say he has created some higher prices, especially the recent sales through PWCC.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...rome-332/23351

Despite what people say about the guy, if he were to cash out responsibly/intermittently, I have no doubts he'd likely make out pretty good money wise based on the sales seen above.
Here is the 21 page post that was started back in 2015.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211710

This is a recent PWCC sale.
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ction/1814952/

Republicaninmass 06-18-2018 07:21 PM

Many people are buying on speculation they can sell to the hoarder. Once prices drop, I have a feeling people might run for the exits. Therefore, it is in his best interest to overextend, even when, or if, he plans on selling off.

irv 06-18-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1787796)
Many people are buying on speculation they can sell to the hoarder. Once prices drop, I have a feeling people might run for the exits. Therefore, it is in his best interest to overextend, even when, or if, he plans on selling off.

I never assumed that, I just thought people were purchasing the card based on how popular the card has now become.

In all honesty, I just figured the guy was out of the hobby and was no longer trying to collect them, but then I read your post and read he was still active.
I assume he is on other forums/sites?

Any idea if he is still "aggressively" collecting them or has he slowed considerably the last little while?

ALR-bishop 06-20-2018 07:47 AM

Can not remember when I got that card for my set but it was before all this started. Feel bad for those building the set currently that need it. Who would have thought when starting the set that Bartirome would be a top 10 expense in doing so.

bobbyw8469 06-20-2018 12:29 PM

There were other cards that were being "hoarded"....the T206 Titus, and Three Stooges cards if I remember correctly. I'm not sure the market was sustainable on EITHER of those examples.

1963Topps Set 06-20-2018 05:13 PM

I don't understand:

Why this guy has been banned from this forum just because he is hording the 1952 Topps Tony Bartirome card. That is his choice and it is his option to spend his money as he pleases.

He is claiming he is buying up all of this card for family members so that everyone in Tony's family can have a copy, however,

Why is he not hording the 1953 Topps Tony Bartirome card? (As far as I know, poor Tony only had these two cards)

The whole thing is crazy to me.

bnorth 06-20-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set (Post 1788342)
I don't understand:

Why this guy has been banned from this forum just because he is hording the 1952 Topps Tony Bartirome card. That is his choice and it is his option to spend his money as he pleases.

He is claiming he is buying up all of this card for family members so that everyone in Tony's family can have a copy, however,

Why is he not hording the 1953 Topps Tony Bartirome card? (As far as I know, poor Tony only had these two cards)

He was not banned because of the hording. If that would get you banned many of us would get kicked off here. Can't remember the exact reason but do remember he deserved to be banned for his comments.

egri 06-20-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1788351)
He was not banned because of the hording. If that would get you banned many of us would get kicked off here. Can't remember the exact reason but do remember he deserved to be banned for his comments.

Quote:

I don't understand:

For reference, here is the original thread. He was going after high grade (PSA 7+) 1953 Topps Bartiromes as well. He claimed he was focusing on the 1952s because the set has more of a pedigree; my guess is there being fewer high number 52s (so the market is easier to distort) has something to do with it as well. As for him being banned, he had a rap sheet a yard long, and was lying about being Bartirome’s nephew. He also lied about being related to CNN reporter Maria Bartiromo. After Leon banned him, he threatened to activate his “stealth accounts” and spam the board.

irv 06-20-2018 06:10 PM

Looks like he was banned at Blowout as well.
With only 11 posts, it didn't take him long but maybe that had something to do with what happend here?
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=929176

irv 06-20-2018 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I don't understand:

Would his 52 Topps card be his RC? I looked but was unsuccessful finding any info on his true RC.
His 52 Topps card, which I believe is his first card, doesn't list/show it as his rookie.

I can only assume the "hoarder" was collecting the 52 Topps card as it is his first card, plus it is from the way tougher high series numbers?

I am grateful, and lucky, his card was included in the 148 52 Topps cards my Father gave me.

Rich Klein 06-24-2018 03:50 AM

There is no on-line obit yet but Tony Bartirome passed on 6.23 of this year.

Rich

Republicaninmass 06-24-2018 04:56 AM

RiP, he was a great signer through the mail and we shared quite a few stories. He was boyhood friends with Bibby Del Greco, who is also in the 52 high series

ALR-bishop 06-24-2018 09:24 AM

Someone on CU has undertaken to keep BoB Lemke's list of still living players from the 1952 set updated.

egri 06-24-2018 01:46 PM

RIP. The list of folks left from that era keeps shrinking.

irv 06-24-2018 02:51 PM

It is now listed on Wikipedia. RIP, Tony.

Anthony Joseph "Tony" Bartirome (born May 9, 1932, died June 23, 2018) was an American baseball player, coach and athletic trainer. He played first base for the Pittsburgh Pirates during the 1952 baseball season, after just one minor league season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bartirome

Rich Klein 06-25-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1789484)
It is now listed on Wikipedia. RIP, Tony.

Anthony Joseph "Tony" Bartirome (born May 9, 1932, died June 23, 2018) was an American baseball player, coach and athletic trainer. He played first base for the Pittsburgh Pirates during the 1952 baseball season, after just one minor league season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bartirome

Just as an FYI, when we say On-Line OBIT it can be from a Newspaper, Funeral Home or other such entity which keeps track of that. This was announced at a Pirates game so the SABR biographical committee accepted the news; but usually we all need more details than Wikipedia.

Rich

egri 06-25-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1788366)
Looks like he was banned at Blowout as well.
With only 11 posts, it didn't take him long but maybe that had something to do with what happend here?
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=929176

I just finished reading his (brief) history at Blowout. My opinion is confirmed; the guy is nuttier than squirrel crap.

irv 06-26-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

I don't understand:

Ironically, he explains it in post #52.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211710

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1789621)
Just as an FYI, when we say On-Line OBIT it can be from a Newspaper, Funeral Home or other such entity which keeps track of that. This was announced at a Pirates game so the SABR biographical committee accepted the news; but usually we all need more details than Wikipedia.

Rich

I know, Rich. I also looked and the only place/site that mentioned anything about was Wikipedia for some reason?
I haven't looked in a few days, but the last time I did, Wiki was still the only one for some odd reason?

Found one.
Nice Obit. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pos...1277&fhid=5832

1963Topps Set 06-26-2018 04:51 PM

As far as I am concerned, this 1952 Topps Bartirome card has become like the 1952 Topps Andy Pafko card. Another overpriced, overhyped common. I need this card, but could care less if I ever get it. (Which means I will probably luck into it like the House / Yellow Tiger card!)

irv 06-26-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set (Post 1790078)
As far as I am concerned, this 1952 Topps Bartirome card has become like the 1952 Topps Andy Pafko card. Another overpriced, overhyped common. I need this card, but could care less if I ever get it. (Which means I will probably luck into it like the House / Yellow Tiger card!)

That's a great card to luck into!
I am hoping I luck into a Eddie Mathews someday myself. :D

Republicaninmass 06-26-2018 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=irv;1790088]That's a great card to luck into!
I am hoping I luck into a Eddie Mathews someday myself. :D[/QUOTE

Keep hoping...just like the gray backs. Many more people are now searching for them, and it just takes 2 bidders to make an auction!

irv 06-26-2018 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Republicaninmass;1790090]
Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1790088)

Keep hoping...just like the gray backs. Many more people are now searching for them, and it just takes 2 bidders to make an auction!

I hear ya, Ted. Just to think, my Uncle had one, and many other 52 Topps cards but sold them at a card shop for peanuts years ago after I said to him I'd buy them, just let me know when you want to sell. :mad:

My Father ribs him occasionally what they now go for as he is also disappointed he didn't let me know.

C'est La Vie..........

bnorth 06-26-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

I am hoping I luck into a Eddie Mathews someday myself. :D

[QUOTE=Republicaninmass;1790090]
Quote:

Add me to the list of wanting the 52 Mathews, you guys can have all the other 52's I just want Eddie. I want one that has most of the card left and no major creases through his face. Centering, creases, missing chunk, writing on the card, rounded corners, and creases just add character to the card i want.:D

irv 06-28-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1787796)

Likely not many CDN's are purchasing his cards, nor many of anyone else either!
Check out the CDN difference on this recent sale. :eek:

Winning bid:US $2,881.00
"Approximately C $3,828.27"
[ 21 bids ]

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Topps-S...19.m1438.l2649

Winning bid:US $4,538.00
Approximately C $6,030.09
[ 46 bids ]

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Topps-T...19.m1438.l2649