Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unchecklisted Fred Tenney Nadja E104? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254982)

Cozumeleno 05-12-2018 10:00 PM

Unchecklisted Fred Tenney Nadja E104?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a guy that reached out to me and mentioned a Fred Tenney E104-3 card that he has. The card is not checklisted anywhere and in looking online, I've not found any images of one. PSA would not grade it as it was not checklisted. He's going to try elsewhere but wondering if anyone has seen or has a Tenney E104-3 as I believe it may be a new addition to the checklist.

The pictures he sent me are attached. I'm not overly familiar with Nadjas but nothing screams fake to me about his card, which he says was purchased from a card show in the 1980s. Given the obscenely low population, new additions to the checklist wouldn't surprise me.

One note here is that Tenney played in New York in 1909 but played for Lowell (minor league team) in 1910 when this set was believed to be produced.

x2drich2000 05-13-2018 01:17 AM

It looks good to me. I'm also not surprised by it being a new addition. While it hasn't been updated in a few years, Pete C's website identified 4 new additions to the e104-3 checklist since 2000. If he wants to sell or trade it, I would be interested in it regardless of it being graded or not.

DJ

Leon 05-13-2018 08:28 AM

Don 't remember seeing one either. There are still some sets where new additions will be found and this is one. Neat card and pose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1776181)
I have a guy that reached out to me and mentioned a Fred Tenney E104-3 card that he has. The card is not checklisted anywhere and in looking online, I've not found any images of one. PSA would not grade it as it was not checklisted. He's going to try elsewhere but wondering if anyone has seen or has a Tenney E104-3 as I believe it may be a new addition to the checklist.

The pictures he sent me are attached. I'm not overly familiar with Nadjas but nothing screams fake to me about his card, which he says was purchased from a card show in the 1980s. Given the obscenely low population, new additions to the checklist wouldn't surprise me.

One note here is that Tenney played in New York in 1909 but played for Lowell (minor league team) in 1910 when this set was believed to be produced.

petecld 05-13-2018 08:43 AM

E104s

This is what's great about this hobby. Almost 120 years later and new cards are being found.

If you don't want it I am certainly interested.

Peter

G1911 05-13-2018 12:05 PM

Love when new cards are discovered! What a great find.

Looks like Tenney did play for Lowell in 1910, but he wasn’t released until quite late into 1910? Here’s an announcement on his release from New York in the Sunday Tribune, May 10, 1910

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=4917,1137183

edhans 05-13-2018 12:18 PM

Re: Unchecklisted Fred Tenney Nadja E104?

Looks real to me, as well. You would have no problem selling it, if you were fortunate enough to acquire it.

swarmee 05-13-2018 12:56 PM

Yeah, to one of those poor saps who thinks he has a complete set. Whoops! ;-)

Leon 05-13-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1776319)
Yeah, to one of those poor saps who thinks he has a complete set. Whoops! ;-)

Honestly, I would be surprised if there is one full set (before this card). I doubt anyone is within 5 of all known, actually. I would like to hear if someone is that close on the Type 3s. It would be quite an accomplishment Maybe Peter (hey Peter) is that far?
Here are a few from days gone by..

http://luckeycards.com/pe104jonesschmidt2x.jpg

Cozumeleno 05-13-2018 03:17 PM

Thanks for the input, all -

I have checked with the seller but he has no desire to move it right now. He was mostly trying to find out more information about its authenticity as PSA would not grade it.

brianp-beme 05-13-2018 03:32 PM

From the scan the look is completely authentic. I love the E104-3 set, even though I do not have any, because quite often when I see one here or in a catalog, it is usually the first time I have seen the card...they are the most elusive of the small size caramel cards. Ahhh, PSA...stop being so timid and grade an authentic card even if it is not cataloged!

Brian

ullmandds 05-13-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1776372)
From the scan the look is completely authentic. I love the E104-3 set, even though I do not have any, because quite often when I see one here or in a catalog, it is usually the first time I have seen the card...they are the most elusive of the small size caramel cards. Ahhh, PSA...stop being so timid and grade an authentic card even if it is not cataloged!

Brian

totally agree! it's one of the only sets that seems to add cards to the checklist every few years or so.

x2drich2000 05-13-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1776378)
totally agree! it's one of the only sets that seems to add cards to the checklist every few years or so.

and they seem to only come 1 card at a time.

ullmandds 05-13-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1776380)
and they seem to only come 1 card at a time.

a slow trickle!

sportscardpete 05-14-2018 05:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
very very nice card, and makes me wonder what else is out there! The first characteristic I think of with the set is "obscure". Each card is extremely rare, but the popularity of the set just hasn't grown. There are some incredible cards in the set (Jeff's Hal Chase being one of them), but the e104-3 could surely use a big time HOFer to add to the popularity (like a Cobb).

I think it would be impossible to come even close to acquiring the full set, unless your Keith Olbermann. I have acquired about 15 over the years, but my pace (and patience) has slowed down given the difficulty of the set. I don't know who still has a material e104-3 set anymore, Marc S always had a way more impressive collection, and I assume Pete C has some nice ones as well.

Here are a few from my last purchase a few months ago, they don't come around often and when they do prices are all over the place (I didn't big hard enough on the e104-3 in the most recent REA, but that one was beautiful and went for a great price:

Attachment 315906

Attachment 315907