Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is it just me....... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145123)

bcbgcbrcb 12-20-2011 09:35 AM

Is it just me.......

Is it just me or do we seem to have an inordinate amount of '52 Topps Mantle posts in this section of the Forum? I thought that the T206 posts on the Pre-War side were plentiful but this is one specific card.

ChiefBenderForever 12-20-2011 09:51 AM

It is the card that took the hobby to another level along with the 63 Pete Rose,as hard is that is to believe. If the average collector could have one postwar card this would be it, regardless of if it is his true rc or not it is his Topps RC, and sadly many consider Bowman subspecies still to this day. It's just such an amazing card. If I had to choose between a highgrade 52 Mantle Topps or a T206 Wagner I would take the Mantle. I also would take a T206 Plank over a Wagner. I love his 54 and 55 Bowmans but the 51 and 52 just don't appeal to me, and obviously many others otherwise they would be worth a lot more. I know a lot of people think the 52 Topps Mantle is overpriced but I don't. holla !!

ALR-bishop 12-20-2011 09:55 AM

Mantle

Another Mantle thread ? :)

bcbgcbrcb 12-20-2011 02:08 PM

I know, Al, I hated to start another one but didn't want my opinion to get lost in an existing thread that was going in a different direction.

ChiefBenderForever 12-20-2011 02:15 PM

Can't have enough 52 Topps Mantle threads, brings me back to my youth when I used to dream of going back in time to a dime store and buy as many packs as I could and come back to the future and open them up. When I wasn't thinking about the Mantle card I was thinking about Bo Derek and Farrah Fawcett, oh the good old days !!

Leon 12-20-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever (Post 948793)
Can't have enough 52 Topps Mantle threads, brings me back to my youth when I used to dream of going back in time to a dime store and buy as many packs as I could and come back to the future and open them up. When I wasn't thinking about the Mantle card I was thinking about Bo Derek and Farrah Fawcett, oh the good old days !!

What teenage boy didn't have a poster of Farrah showing the nipple? :) I absolutely still think her and Bo were the best looking women ever. But maybe it' just my mind's eye!!

HRBAKER 12-20-2011 04:10 PM

'52T Mantle

No it's not just you Phil.

It's a great card but I would much rather have a Plank or Wagner. It's a convergence of mythical set, player and team into one piece of cardboard. We could argue how much of it is myth but hey folks love the card and the price continues to be supported.

I went through the phase where I had to have one. To date it is the only card of significant value I have ever owned that I sold. Once I had one the allure for me at least didn't last.

ALR-bishop 12-21-2011 08:40 AM

52 Mantle

I am fortunate to have two of them, both variations, which are finally listed in the 2012 SCD Standard Catalog. I also have a 1967 Catalog from The Card Collector's Company in NY where I bought my first one. They were selling the entire high series then for $ 90 or $ 1 per card...except the Mantle...which was $ 25 :). I bought the 2nd one years latter after the variation became publicized, but paid a lot more for it :mad:

Volod 12-21-2011 09:08 AM

"Money makes the woild go round" - Curley Howard, 1944.