Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Calling on Pennant Experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225025)

rschisler 07-05-2016 09:27 PM

Calling on Pennant Experts

1 Attachment(s)
I ran across this Cubs pennant at an antique store over the weekend. I've always loved the look of vintage pennants, but I've built my collection around vintage autographs and don't know the first thing about what to look for as to the value or desirability of a pennant. I know many of you guys have amazing pennant collections and was hoping I could call on a bit of your knowledge.

I've seen a few like the pennant below but was curious as most of the others had color (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE...kAAOSwxp9W91gf) and this one was just white. Is this a variation or do these lose color from time to time? Is one more rare or desirable than the other? It didn't look to have any creases, pinholes, or other damage, but aside from condition I don't have a clue on how to date or value pennants. Are there keys to look for with reproductions also? They want $50 for this one.

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Ryan

batsballsbases 07-05-2016 09:45 PM

Hello Ryan,
I can help a bit light knowledge on pennants but it is a listed pennant in the vintage pennant guide as 1960s Full size Common pennant value 45 to 60 dollars. so 50 is right in the middle. Hope that helps a little...

rschisler 07-06-2016 05:11 AM

Thanks, Al! I appreciate that information. Is the pennant guide you mentioned Mike Egner's book? Curious if that would be the best resource for a beginner looking at baseball pennants? Thanks again!

batsballsbases 07-06-2016 06:53 AM

Hi Ryan,
Yes Mikes book. It is a good reference as a good pennant guide. But if you do find nice pennants probably would be better to post a picture up here and let the experts on net 54 tell you what they think... Some very good people here with alot more knowledge about pennants that me!!!:D

MK 07-06-2016 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This version also came with some color added.

Duluth Eskimo 07-06-2016 03:03 PM

Ryan,
That pennant is priced accurately given the condition I can see in the photo. It appears to be in pretty nice shape with no missing tip or fading. As someone posted, there are more attractive versions of this same pennant that sell for approximately the same amount so it just depends on if you like it or not. This version is from the late 60's and is not really overpriced or underpriced at $50. If you would rather have the colored version, it is readily available on eBay. This is one of the more common styles the Cubs had and I am unaware of any reprints.

Also, if you are interested in vintage pennants Mike's book would be a great reference to purchase. Get the 2nd version as there was more added in that one. Many styles are common to an era and most teams are represented within those general styles. The more rare the version, generally the higher the price. Condition is key and unless pre 30's most advanced collectors will steer clear. If you want them just for display, lesser condition versions can be had for a significant discount. Good luck in your hunt. Jason

batsballsbases 07-06-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1558873)
Ryan,
That pennant is priced accurately given the condition I can see in the photo. It appears to be in pretty nice shape with no missing tip or fading. As someone posted, there are more attractive versions of this same pennant that sell for approximately the same amount so it just depends on if you like it or not. This version is from the late 60's and is not really overpriced or underpriced at $50. If you would rather have the colored version, it is readily available on eBay. This is one of the more common styles the Cubs had and I am unaware of any reprints.

Also, if you are interested in vintage pennants Mike's book would be a great reference to purchase. Get the 2nd version as there was more added in that one. Many styles are common to an era and most teams are represented within those general styles. The more rare the version, generally the higher the price. Condition is key and unless pre 30's most advanced collectors will steer clear. If you want them just for display, lesser condition versions can be had for a significant discount. Good luck in your hunt. Jason

Ryan,
What he said! +1;)

rschisler 07-06-2016 05:38 PM

Thank you fellas! I appreciate you chiming in. I will definitely grab Mike's book. Sounds like a great book to give me an initial baseline from which to work.

Jason - thanks for adding some color on this particular Cubs pennant. That's extremely helpful. As this would be the first one I purchase, I'm a bit hesitant only because I feel like it will whet the appetite and I'll end up $3k deep in pennants before I know it... I guess whether it's this one or not it's bound to happen sometime. :)