Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Card Show Etiquette ? what would you do. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238731)

hangman62 04-23-2017 06:48 PM

Card Show Etiquette ? what would you do.

Heres a "what would you do" scenario ...

Midsize card show...You see a collector wandering around with a decent size cigar box...walking up to dealers looking to sell stuff.... You slide over and observe its good stuff..vintage 50s 60s cards ... lower grade HOFers, many early 60s high #s,etc..

It appears nobody is offering what he's asking... You see he still has box for 30 min or so

Do you -
A) stay away,knowing its not right for a customer to buy cards from a " non dealer/table" paying guy
B) give him the nod to " come out of the building" and look or buy in the parking lot
C) You saddle over to the guy in the show... and hand him 25 bucks for the 1959 T Mantle...pocket it and keep wandering around

bnorth 04-23-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1653689)
Heres a "what would you do" scenario ...

Midsize card show...You see a collector wandering around with a decent size cigar box...walking up to dealers looking to sell stuff.... You slide over and observe its good stuff..vintage 50s 60s cards ... lower grade HOFers, many early 60s high #s,etc..

It appears nobody is offering what he's asking... You see he still has box for 30 min or so

Do you -
A) stay away,knowing its not right for a customer to buy cards from a " non dealer/table" paying guy
B) give him the nod to " come out of the building" and look or buy in the parking lot
C) You saddle over to the guy in the show... and hand him 25 bucks for the 1959 T Mantle...pocket it and keep wandering around

D) As soon as they walk away from a dealers table go up to them and make a deal if there is anything you want. The guy is selling cards why would you let a dealer buy them first?

Bretsky 04-23-2017 07:22 PM

I would ask to take a look at the cards off to the side. What difference is it whether they are at a table as a dealer or not. Two of my lcs have trade days where this happens all the time whether it's trading or selling.

steve B 04-23-2017 07:24 PM

If I had the money I'd probably see about making a deal. If it's done discreetly, it really shouldn't be a problem.

At least twice I've even made deals at a shop, Once with the dealers permission, just after the seller left with no offer, the other at the dealers prompting. "Can you use these RC cans? No! But that kid will buy them"

Having a really great relationship with a dealer can be very beneficial.

Steve B

hcv123 04-23-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1653690)
D) As soon as they walk away from a dealers table go up to them and make a deal if there is anything you want. The guy is selling cards why would you let a dealer buy them first?

+1

If the last dealer "passed" - he's fair game.

hangman62 04-24-2017 05:31 AM

show

I tend to think dealers and show promoter would be against any " selling/cash transactions' on floor ".

Does paying for a table ...give the dealer " exclusive rights" ?

Dealers might feel - " even though I passed on this guys selling price for the box of cards...I don't want the " competition" from a customer"... thinking the guy will then come back and sell his stuff cheaper

D.P.Johnson 04-24-2017 07:38 AM

If I see someone walking around a show with a briefcase, box, bag, etc., and they look like they're friendly, I'll ask them, "Whatcha got in the bag"???

Sometimes they're buying, sometimes they're selling, sometimes they're trading, and sometimes they just stop and show me some cool stuff...

bdk1976 04-24-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Was just about to post almost the same thing-I agree with option D!

ALR-bishop 04-24-2017 09:22 AM

I avoid people with bags, but admit I have been in the Middle East for awhile now

Zach Wheat 04-24-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Agree with Ben...but would certainly be discrete about it.

Z

Snapolit1 04-24-2017 11:21 AM

I think it would be poor form to stick your nose into the middle of someone's discussion with a dealer, but beyond that I'd have no qualms asking to see what someone has. And I wouldn't be hiding in a hallway or bathroom to do it. My experience is that very few dealers at shows are there to do heavy duty buying. Might be there for a purchase or two, but most of them are there to raise cash, not hand it over to someone else.

bobsbbcards 04-24-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alr-bishop (Post 1653832)
i avoid people with bags, but admit i have been in the middle east for awhile now

lol. ;)

glynparson 04-24-2017 06:26 PM

I would wait til he left show

Dealers pay good money to set up and buying walk ins is one of those things they are paying for.

chalupacollects 04-25-2017 03:32 PM

Would consider him fair game... not much different than a flea market or antique show...and my money is green too!

pokerplyr80 04-25-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

I agree. Cards are fair game if the guy is not at a table talking to a dealer.

hangman62 05-02-2017 03:14 PM

fair

I first hand saw a promoter walk up to guy trying to sell and say something to the effect of " Hey, knock it off..dealers are complaining that your selling to customers "

Gary_Carter_Rookie 05-02-2017 08:32 PM

I always carry a couple of graded cards in my pocket at a show. Usually a hot card that I'm using to sell or trade with. A pretty innocent "Hey what's in the case... do you ever trade?" with cards in hand so they know you're just a dude can spark a fruitful conversation and a possible transaction.

packs 05-03-2017 08:03 AM

Dealers aren't looking to help anyone out. So if in your mind you're saying to yourself, "I will pay market value for that card," then the guy would probably love to talk to you.

The-Cardfather 05-11-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1654053)
Dealers pay good money to set up and buying walk ins is one of those things they are paying for.

+1