Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1990 Score Young Superstars Series 2 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271066)

deweyinthehall 07-09-2019 08:27 AM

1990 Score Young Superstars Series 2

The way I put together master sets is that if a card was associated with or available as a premium from another set, I will collect it. Example: 1990 Score Young Superstars Series I was included as an insert set with 1990 Score, so I have it.

I know series 2 was available via mail order from Score only - my question is how? If it was a wrapper premium then I'd get it (the one wrapper I have only lists cards from Series I as a premium, not Series 2). If it was available only via some unrelated offer, such as a dealer special, then I wouldn't get it.

So, does anyone recall how series 2 was made available back in the day?

Thanks!

Rich Klein 07-09-2019 12:19 PM

Since the set was a mail away I'm going to guess that it was a wrapper offer. Not sure but the most logical answer.

Rich

bnorth 07-09-2019 12:31 PM

I will look and see if I still have the original packaging for mine. Score had a ton of little oddball sets then. Most of them came in either big plastic packaging that included a magazine or they come in a box like a pack of playing cards. They used to give employees cards as bonuses for the holidays so I am sure I at least had a few of them.

Mike D. 07-09-2019 08:05 PM

I feel like these may have been available via retail, in the big plastic packaging that Mr. North mentioned, but I'm far from 100% on that.

In case anyone is interested, here's scans of the whole set:

http://baseball-trivia-game.com/sets/90_sys/index.htm

bnorth 07-09-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 1897391)
I feel like these may have been available via retail, in the big plastic packaging that Mr. North mentioned, but I'm far from 100% on that.

In case anyone is interested, here's scans of the whole set:

http://baseball-trivia-game.com/sets/90_sys/index.htm

For some reason I also pictured then in that packaging with the magazine included.

I didn't find them when looking earlier but I will do some more digging tomorrow. I know i have a few of those type of packages and only found 1 today.

Jim65 07-10-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 1897158)
The way I put together master sets is that if a card was associated with or available as a premium from another set, I will collect it. Example: 1990 Score Young Superstars Series I was included as an insert set with 1990 Score, so I have it.

I know series 2 was available via mail order from Score only - my question is how? If it was a wrapper premium then I'd get it (the one wrapper I have only lists cards from Series I as a premium, not Series 2). If it was available only via some unrelated offer, such as a dealer special, then I wouldn't get it.

So, does anyone recall how series 2 was made available back in the day?

Thanks!

To me, a master set means everything is included. If Series 1 is part of the set, why not just include Series 2, no matter how it was distributed? Its a $5 set, its not exactly going to break the bank.

deweyinthehall 07-10-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1897482)
To me, a master set means everything is included. If Series 1 is part of the set, why not just include Series 2, no matter how it was distributed? Its a $5 set, its not exactly going to break the bank.

Well, I actually already have it. I just need to know whether I should include it - this is my OCD talking:)

Jim65 07-10-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 1897518)
Well, I actually already have it. I just need to know whether I should include it - this is my OCD talking:)

To me, the name implies its an extension of the first series. Its not like the little KMart, Fleer Baseballs Best, etc boxed sets that are clearly separate sets.

bnorth 07-10-2019 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 1897518)

Yes include them.:) I found some more of the big plastic packaging from that time period but not the one for this set. Weirdly Score would put the cards into boxes inside the big plastic packaging and sometimes they just put the cards directly in the plastic packaging loose.

Here is a pick of the boxes for the 2 series I pulled from eBay.

Tripredacus 07-11-2019 02:55 PM

When I was doing sets, I would put the cards from the special sets in with the main set. Even for food issues if they were made by a major manufacturer.

Examples: The cracker jack mini sets in with 1991 Topps or 1992 Donruss. Denny's Holograms with UD or Pinnacle of their respective years. And for older stuff, all of the various retail exclusive sets that Topps and Fleer did with their respective years.

I figure, why not, if there is room in the binder for them.