Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Which card should i buy between these 3 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256250)

Rayfromphilly 06-13-2018 11:16 AM

Which card should i buy between these 3

A 1957 topps brooks robinson psa 5, 1959 topps bob gibson psa 5 or 1968 topps nolan ryan psa 4.5

glynparson 06-13-2018 11:51 AM

The one you want the most. I’d probably go with the nicer card between the Gibson and the brooks.

ALR-bishop 06-13-2018 12:02 PM

I am a big fan of Gibson, and the 59 set was the first one I completed, but Robert just does not look right in pink. Also I have the Ryan but am not a fan of multiple player cards, even when they feature two good players. I would say Robinson from a visual standpoint. Nice card from a great set. Now if it was a 58 Robinson, that would be easy to eliminate :)

Rayfromphilly 06-13-2018 01:42 PM

What about what the best investment?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1786301)
I am a big fan of Gibson, and the 59 set was the first one I completed, but Robert just does not look right in pink. Also I have the Ryan but am not a fan of multiple player cards, even when they feature two good players. I would say Robinson from a visual standpoint. Nice card from a great set. Now if it was a 58 Robinson, that would be easy to eliminate :)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop 06-13-2018 02:04 PM

Personally I am just a collector and would defer to others on investment advice.

Big Six 06-13-2018 03:05 PM

If the Gibson is centered, I’d do that. Tough to find centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hxcmilkshake 06-13-2018 03:13 PM

Ryan. More iconic. (To me)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mark70Z 06-13-2018 05:29 PM

Brooksie

I’d go with the Brooks...

CobbSpikedMe 06-13-2018 07:24 PM

Even though it's a lower grade, I'd go with the Ryan RC. I've just always really liked that card. The Gibson is a very close second though for me. Unlike some, I like the pink.

lowpopper 06-13-2018 10:38 PM

buy all thee?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayfromphilly (Post 1786287)
A 1957 topps brooks robinson psa 5, 1959 topps bob gibson psa 5 or 1968 topps nolan ryan psa 4.5

Since centering seems to be the biggest driving force behind value
these days, go with the most centered card if you still cant decide.

Bigdaddy 06-16-2018 12:00 PM

Looking at POP reports for a PSA 5, Brooks has 482, Gibson has 635 and Ryan has 1631.

Personally, I'd go with Brooks, then Ryan, then Gibson. Again as other posters pointed out, I'd look at the centering of the cards. With 5's, there is a wide margin for centering.

Rayfromphilly 06-16-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 1787181)
Looking at POP reports for a PSA 5, Brooks has 482, Gibson has 635 and Ryan has 1631.

Personally, I'd go with Brooks, then Ryan, then Gibson. Again as other posters pointed out, I'd look at the centering of the cards. With 5's, there is a wide margin for centering.

Thank you

Peter_Spaeth 06-16-2018 06:55 PM

Ryan is by far the most iconic of the three players. That said, none of these cards in midgrade is really something I would buy as an investment.

Peter_Spaeth 06-16-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1786324)
Personally I am just a collector and would defer to others on investment advice.

Al, please remind me the next time I have nothing to say to nonetheless post that I have nothing to say. :D

deeg23 06-16-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1786385)
I’d go with the Brooks...

Lol who woulda thunk!

As for the OP, all are good cards, and it's tough to say as eye appeal can vary, but I'd go with the Nolan Ryan for "investment purposes." Centering is key!!

Rayfromphilly 06-16-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1787258)
Ryan is by far the most iconic of the three players. That said, none of these cards in midgrade is really something I would buy as an investment.

I agree that ryan rookie is the best of those 3. But i totally disagree that a 4.5 is not a good investment. Yes the higher grades will go up more. But certain players will go up no matter what grade. If i had a chance at a 33 goudey ruth in a psa 1 its still a great investment. Or a playball dimaggio is a psa 1. Or a bowman mantle in a 1, or a 54 aaron in a psa 2. Certain players in vintage go up each year. Ryans rookie is one of them

CobbSpikedMe 06-16-2018 08:11 PM

Totally agree with Ray here. I'm not trying to assume Ray is in the same boat as me but we don't all have the funds to buy a high grade Ryan rookie as an investment. However we might be able to afford a midgrade example. And, like Ray said, a midgrade Ryan will still go up in value if not as much as a high grade one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayfromphilly (Post 1787263)
I agree that ryan rookie is the best of those 3. But i totally disagree that a 4.5 is not a good investment. Yes the higher grades will go up more. But certain players will go up no matter what grade. If i had a chance at a 33 goudey ruth in a psa 1 its still a great investment. Or a playball dimaggio is a psa 1. Or a bowman mantle in a 1, or a 54 aaron in a psa 2. Certain players in vintage go up each year. Ryans rookie is one of them

ALR-bishop 06-16-2018 08:11 PM

Makes one wonder why he asked :)

Peter_Spaeth 06-16-2018 08:57 PM

Indeed.

Rayfromphilly 06-16-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1787282)
Makes one wonder why he asked :)

I asked for an opinion. I felt the ryan was the way to go before i asked. But wanted to make sure.

Johnny630 06-16-2018 09:01 PM

All three are fun and great to collect, I wouldn’t consider any of the three in mid grade as investment pieces.

glynparson 06-17-2018 05:23 PM

My opinion

In mid grade all three are fairly readily available. I do not think buying a mid grade card regular issue “, non mantle 52 topps card,in this market is a good investment. It may turn out to be ok but I think there are many way more solid opportunities out there. Also comparing a mid grade 68 Ryan,a double print in a heavily produced set to,a Goudey Ruth is not a very apt comparison either. I think I’d try investing the money somewhere else,also I am not sure where you got the notion Ryan rookies go up each year as this is completely false. Again I’d buy the one I liked most in those grades as they are more collector grade than investment grade. Rising tides don’t always raise all boats despite the idea by some that it always does. Often high grade goes up while low just languishes. Demand is lowering on many collector grade cards while the supply isn’t really going anywhere but up in population. There are far more ungraded copies of these issues in the grades you are discussing than there are copies in holders. Sorry but I’m with Peter here not investment cards.

Rayfromphilly 06-17-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1787469)
In mid grade all three are fairly readily available. I do not think buying a mid grade card regular issue “, non mantle 52 topps card,in this market is a good investment. It may turn out to be ok but I think there are many way more solid opportunities out there. Also comparing a mid grade 68 Ryan,a double print in a heavily produced set to,a Goudey Ruth is not a very apt comparison either. I think I’d try investing the money somewhere else,also I am not sure where you got the notion Ryan rookies go up each year as this is completely false. Again I’d buy the one I liked most in those grades as they are more collector grade than investment grade. Rising tides don’t always raise all boats despite the idea by some that it always does. Often high grade goes up while low just languishes. Demand is lowering on many collector grade cards while the supply isn’t really going anywhere but up in population. There are far more ungraded copies of these issues in the grades you are discussing than there are copies in holders. Sorry but I’m with Peter here not investment cards.

Then give me examples of what we would be a better investment in mid grade. Beside mantles.

ALR-bishop 06-17-2018 05:48 PM

At this moment maybe Topps 1952 Bartiromes

Rayfromphilly 06-17-2018 05:50 PM

I think you're right
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1787481)
At this moment maybe Topps 1952 Bartiromes

Peter_Spaeth 06-17-2018 06:35 PM

Post-war, I don't think much of anything is a great investment in mid-grade. As was said maybe it will turn out to be, but from today's perspective I don't see it. There are some oddball issues of course in short supply but for the most part the only thing lower than the supply is the demand. Orr rookies in any grade are probably a safe bet, but of course they get pricey quickly.