Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BST Auctions football stuff (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254156)

jefferyepayne 04-24-2018 05:58 AM

BST Auctions football stuff
 
So anybody win anything nice in BST's auction that ended Sunday? What did you think of the items? How about the midnight close? Other comments?

I thought the football stuff was really good. Good mix of mainstream and odd-ball items. Prices were pretty strong too comparing some of them to previous auctions.

What do you think?

jeff

Leon 04-24-2018 08:54 AM

I watched the auction but am not a football collector so didn't do a lot of bidding. I think I bid on one card but lost it. It did look like a lot of rare football stuff was in the auction.

frankbmd 04-24-2018 10:39 AM

One argument in favor of the all night marathon bidding

Shifting resources to avoid breaking the bank is compromised.

On the west coast initial bidding on additional items closed at 2 PM.

South of the arctic circle you cannot be playing golf at 2 AM.

QED

On the positive side however, my resources remain shiftable. :D

TanksAndSpartans 04-24-2018 11:19 AM

I only bid on the Chicle premium set and didn't win. The set looked to be in really nice condition which is probably why it sold higher than the last set.

Even though I'm really interested in the history of the game and up until 1948, there weren't a whole lot of card issues, I just haven't gotten into collecting memorabilia. BST is the only auction house I've noticed that leads with football though - I still have the catalog on my desk - its fun to look at. Usually football winds up in the back of other catalogs. I'm curious to see the high grade Mayos they mentioned will be up in their next auction - I think it might be a board member consigning those.

jefferyepayne 04-24-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 1770232)
I only bid on the Chicle premium set and didn't win. The set looked to be in really nice condition which is probably why it sold higher than the last set.

Even though I'm really interested in the history of the game and up until 1948, there weren't a whole lot of card issues, I just haven't gotten into collecting memorabilia. BST is the only auction house I've noticed that leads with football though - I still have the catalog on my desk - its fun to look at. Usually football winds up in the back of other catalogs. I'm curious to see the high grade Mayos they mentioned will be up in their next auction - I think it might be a board member consigning those.

Looking at the registry, its pretty clear who's Mayo's those are. I wonder if it's gonna be sold as a complete set, individual cards, or a combo auction?

I thought there were lots of great things in the auction and some of the items definitely went for a premium.

jeff

toppcat 04-25-2018 06:02 PM

Anyone here win the '49 Topps Varsity box topper? I dropped out but that was a neat piece. There were a lot of sweet pieces offered.

DBesse27 04-26-2018 07:35 PM

Does anybody know who bought the Eskimo pie set?

jefferyepayne 04-27-2018 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1770976)
Does anybody know who bought the Eskimo pie set?

Took a run at it, Dan, but fell short by quite a bit. Thought the price was pretty strong.

Was going to upgrade some of mine and sell off the rest with you getting first crack at the Cappelletti. Sorry I fell short.

jeff

jefferyepayne 04-28-2018 10:38 AM

So not a SINGLE collector other than me picked up a football item in the BST Auction? I'll get my stuff scanned in soon and post here and the Ode to Pre War thread but hoping for more images from members

jeff

clamendo 04-28-2018 03:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was fortunate to win a small group 1960 Topps/OPC Football Tattoos in BST and buy a collection from an old-time collector in the same week!!
These are probably the rarest Topps FB issue. Similar to the Baseball, but much rarer. Comprised of College Team Logos, FB action scenes, Pro Team Logos, and 14 Players. Not all have been seen as individual Tattoos to my knowledge.

Here are my extras: 10 College Logos and 8 Action Scenes. Some have some paper residue on the back from a stamp hinge, but many that have surfaced are that way. They were printed by OPC in Canada. To my knowlege it was the 1st time they labelled a product with OPC.

Except for some blank-backed proofs from Topps Vault and some cut down remnants of full Tattos, you will not find a single full-sized 1960 Topps FB Tattoo on Ebay. In fact, I don't believe you can find a dealer in the US or Canada that has one. I am waiting to hear back from one board member this weekend, so let me know if your interested via a PM.

perezfan 04-28-2018 05:34 PM

I won 5 lots....

* Roman Gabriel Rookie Card Original Flexichrome Artwork
* John David Crow Original Flexichrome Artwork
* King Hill Original Flexichrome Artwork
* Lew Carpenter Original Flexichrome Artwork
* Yankees Scroll Pennant

I regret not going harder after a few pieces...

Lance Alworth Original Artwork for '65 Topps Card
Sammy Baugh Granger Ad Sign
Gale Sayers Wilson Ad Sign
Red Grange Doll
Red Grange Football Boxes (both beautiful)

Was an under-bidder on all of those, but decided to save some money for REA, Goldin, Heritage and Huggins. And if BST's Chesterfield Ad Sign was in better shape, I'd have been all over that as well. Just way too many choices right now!

That said.... I though BST did a great job, and eagerly await their next auction.

Exhibitman 05-02-2018 12:21 PM

If anyone wants these lots at the minimum please drop BST a line; I am the consignor.

125 1960's Jimmy Brown Ephemera lot of Four
352 1930's Bronko Nagurski Wrestling Type I Photo PSA/DNA
353 1930's to 1940's Bronko Nagurski Wrestling Photo Sussman Studios

tim 05-04-2018 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I lost out on the 1978 Topps Holsum uncut sheet -- congrats to whomever nabbed it. I'd classify it as a pre-production sheet since the checklist has a yellow background whereas all the checklist cards I've seen have a white background. --Tim

jefferyepayne 05-04-2018 05:01 PM

Great stuff, guys! Here's some of the stuff I picked up.

Red Grange Ink Blotter
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0O...=w1201-h646-no

Red Grange football box
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jh...2=w724-h820-no

Star Player Candy card for my set. These are tough!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LE...W=w392-h608-no

Letter from National Chicle to Philadelphia Eagles about obtaining images for their 1935 National Chicle football card set.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M8...1=w623-h820-no

Complete Wheaties box with 1935 Fancy Frames Chris Cagle on the back.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9B...=w1017-h820-no

Yuban Coffee Jim Brown.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rw...d=w670-h820-no

Fortune Shoes Premiums of Gabriel, Meredith, Ryan, and Johnson
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fg...e=w554-h716-no

And last but most definitely not least. Advertising display for Granger Pipe Tobacco with Sammy Baugh on it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EM...B=w617-h820-no

jeff

tim 05-05-2018 02:43 AM

Jeff -- I like your style. Congrats to you and all others who were able to add to their collections. To those of us who were shut out, I say: we shall live to bid another day!

revmoran 05-06-2018 04:24 PM

Jeff you scored big time. I did not win anything in the auction but I had 50 lots for sale and took some winnings in Blood money

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.ne...%20Walkers.jpg

jefferyepayne 05-06-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revmoran (Post 1773838)
Jeff you scored big time. I did not win anything in the auction but I had 50 lots for sale and took some winnings in Blood money

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.ne...%20Walkers.jpg

Love this Johnny Blood, Mike! Walker's Cleaners rock.

jeff

jefferyepayne 05-06-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revmoran (Post 1773838)
Jeff you scored big time. I did not win anything in the auction but I had 50 lots for sale and took some winnings in Blood money

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.ne...%20Walkers.jpg

Love this Johnny Blood, Mike! Walker's Cleaners rock.

jeff

TanksAndSpartans 05-07-2018 09:52 AM

Jeff, congrats on the Chicle letter! I remember years ago you coaxed an image of that letter out of the consigner with your "Chicle a Day" thread - still one of my favorite threads. Glad it wound up in your collection - I bid as well.

jefferyepayne 05-07-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 1774097)
Jeff, congrats on the Chicle letter! I remember years ago you coaxed an image of that letter out of the consigner with your "Chicle a Day" thread - still one of my favorite threads. Glad it wound up in your collection - I bid as well.

Thanks John. It is really incredible how few items from the National Chicle football card promotion exist! No known boxes, displays, ads, unopened packs, etc. Just happy to finally get something other than the cards, premiums, and wrapper ...

jeff

TanksAndSpartans 05-08-2018 09:05 PM

Chicle letter
 
1 Attachment(s)
The NRA Code Eagle looked odd to me, so I googled it - I wouldn't have guessed what I found, but it made sense once I read it given it was the 30s (I won't lie, my mind went to National Rifle Association), then I was surprised again as towards the bottom of the page, it mentions the Philadelphia Eagles, the team the letter is addressed to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Eagle

I also looked up Mr. Livingston and was able to find he seems to be the same person who bought up Chicle's assets (at auction) and started a new company, the International Chewing Gum Company when National Chicle went bankrupt in '37. But, according to this thread, Goudey bought Chicle's assets: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178905

kid4hof03 05-08-2018 10:53 PM

Jeff,
Congrats on some great wins! You outbid me on the Fortune Shoes lot and the Jim Brown Yuban. Such good stuff!

Abe

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1773285)
Great stuff, guys! Here's some of the stuff I picked up.

Red Grange Ink Blotter
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0O...=w1201-h646-no

Red Grange football box
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jh...2=w724-h820-no

Star Player Candy card for my set. These are tough!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LE...W=w392-h608-no

Letter from National Chicle to Philadelphia Eagles about obtaining images for their 1935 National Chicle football card set.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M8...1=w623-h820-no

Complete Wheaties box with 1935 Fancy Frames Chris Cagle on the back.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9B...=w1017-h820-no

Yuban Coffee Jim Brown.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rw...d=w670-h820-no

Fortune Shoes Premiums of Gabriel, Meredith, Ryan, and Johnson
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fg...e=w554-h716-no

And last but most definitely not least. Advertising display for Granger Pipe Tobacco with Sammy Baugh on it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EM...B=w617-h820-no

jeff


kid4hof03 05-08-2018 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got outbid on almost everything I was chasing, but I did pick up the Gale Sayers Fortune Shoes lot

jefferyepayne 05-09-2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid4hof03 (Post 1774808)
I got outbid on almost everything I was chasing, but I did pick up the Gale Sayers Fortune Shoes lot

I was thinking of you when I saw this Gale Sayers lot, Abe, so glad you snagged it! Great pickup.

jeff

toppcat 05-10-2018 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carl - I believe at least one full set of the 1960 Football Tattoos was assembled by an advanced collector I know. I am feeling pretty lucky just to have a type example and agree it's the toughest standalone Football set Topps issued.

Here's the one lot I won in BST:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.