Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dick "Cannonball" Redding (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243481)

Topnotchsy 08-10-2017 09:37 PM

Dick "Cannonball" Redding

I've been doing research on the Negro League Star Dick "Cannonball" Redding and thought I would make a post to share some of the information I dug up.

Redding was one of the best pitchers in the Negro Leagues, beginning his career roughly 1911 and still pitching at least as late as 1929. He also managed. His career spanned teams such as the Philadelphia Giants, New York Lincoln Giants, Lincoln Stars, Indianapolis ABC's, Chicago American Giants, Brooklyn Royal Giants, and Baccarach Giants, though he pitched for other teams as well.

A couple of interesting stories that I came across so far:

1) When Redding was 17 (roughly 1910) he was a young pitcher and was struggling. A number of times the manager wanted to send Redding home, which might have ended his baseball career. Grant Johnson pleaded with "the boss" to let him stay arguing that if they help him develop, he will develop into a "brainy, crafty, powerful pitcher."

Redding never forgot this and when Johnson managed the semi-pro Pittsburgh Stars, J.W. Connor, who owned the Baccarach Giants that Redding played for and was a friend of Johnson's, would lend Redding to his friend's team. One article indicates that they had an agreement to lend him 10 times. The teams often played doubleheaders, and at least some of the time, Redding pitched (all or part) of both games of the double header.

2) In 1929, Redding still pitched, and also coached for the Brooklyn Royal Giants. Joining that team in 1929 was Sam Redding, or "Young Cannonball." In the Majors, it took until 1989 for a father and son to play in the league at the same time, and until 1990 for them to play on the same team. In the Negro Leagues it occurred over 60 years earlier. Not only did the two Redding's play on the same team, they even pitched in the same game, both pitching on April 9th 1929 in a victor against the Miami Giants.

Hope others find this stuff as interesting as I've been...

Scocs 08-11-2017 07:34 AM

That's very cool, thanks. Were you the buyer of the 1929 signed Dick Redding contract that recently sold on eBay?

Topnotchsy 08-11-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1689586)
That's very cool, thanks. Were you the buyer of the 1929 signed Dick Redding contract that recently sold on eBay?

Yup. Been digging through old newspapers to try to build a better picture of his career. Born in Atlanta In 1890. Didn't drink, smoke etc. was always smiling and was functionally illiterate but was one of the best Negro League pitchers ever and transitioned to player/manager and then manager as well.

Really, really fascinating guy.

Shoeless Moe 08-11-2017 09:32 AM

Have you tried reaching out to any of his offspring? I know easier said then done.

Topnotchsy 08-13-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1689620)
Have you tried reaching out to any of his offspring? I know easier said then done.

At the moment I am still not 100% certain he even had offspring.

According to an article by Larry Lester (who I've been able to have a bit of correspondence with) he was survived by a sister and brother, but not necessarily any children. As mentioned above I've found a few articles that discuss a son of his playing on the team but other articles describe Sam Redding as his brother.

How would I even go about trying to find someone like that? Geneology.com? Negro League HOF?