Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Killing large ant hills on lawns? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240906)

Griffins 06-11-2017 04:31 PM

Leon has extensive experience with this, especially fire ants. Hopefully he'll chime in

Leon 06-11-2017 04:50 PM

Ya'll don't want to know what I do. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1669989)
Leon has extensive experience with this, especially fire ants. Hopefully he'll chime in

Sean 06-11-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1669993)
Ya'll don't want to know what I do. :confused:

Shotgun at close range? :D

Griffins 06-11-2017 05:38 PM

Flamethrowers at dawn
Eyebrows are overrated

irv 06-11-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1669979)
Yowza, I couldn't possibly disagree more. Terro has worked ridiculously well for me. Granted, it was mainly for inside ants, but I also used it outside a couple of times (mainly where there were untold numbers of ants emanating out of cracks in the cement) and POOF!!! the colonies disappeared in a couple of days. They are drawn to the stuff like crazy and bring it back to the queen, which ends up snuffing her out. Haven't tried it with actual anthills, so it's possible that it doesn't work as well in that scenario, but it is certainly lethal to 'normal' indoor ant colonies. I don't use the traps, instead I buy a bottle of the liquid (below) so I can squirt it exactly where it needs to go. Just find the trail of ants and put a decent amount of the goop right along their route and they'll start feeding and telling their friends to come on over for a sweet buffet.

Good luck!!

Attachment 276227

I looked for the liquid today but all I could find was the traps that I purchased.
I seen a vid of the liquid and was amazed at how many ants came to the guys little tinfoil trays that he put out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYu8TvewqGw

I have checked a few times now and have seen zero ants at the baits??
I did, earlier, bore a small hole in both nests then poured vinegar down them in a few places. (I read that this may work also?) so maybe that is why I haven't seen any, I don't know??

Thanks for the help so far, guys; I do appreciate it!

JollyElm 06-11-2017 06:39 PM

I guess I should have included in my post that none of the bait traps I put down ever worked, not even remotely. And those were from the titans of the pest elimination game (is that a phrase, or did I just coin it?), such as Raid. It was very disappointing. But since I had those traps already in place, I just squeezed some of the Terro into them/on them to try it out and the ants quickly appeared en masse to suck it up.

irv 06-11-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1670026)
I guess I should have included in my post that none of the bait traps I put down ever worked, not even remotely. And those were from the titans of the pest elimination game (is that a phrase, or did I just coin it?), such as Raid. It was very disappointing. But since I had those traps already in place, I just squeezed some of the Terro into them/on them to try it out and the ants quickly appeared en masse to suck it up.

The baits I purchased are suppose to have that same liquid in them, but maybe not as strong?

I will try again to see if I can find the liquid. Hopefully I can!

Thanks again. :)

Sean 06-11-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1670006)
Flamethrowers at dawn
Eyebrows are overrated

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Leon 06-12-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1670063)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Honestly, that is about it. :) .....I have tried everything and we have about 6 billion ants on our property. I use gasoline. A cup or so will kill a really big mound. All of the ant bait crap I have tried to use doesn't work. Gas does. And I should say I am one of the biggest eco-friendly guys in the world, to the chagrin of my neighbors. Good luck.,.,... btw, I guarantee it works. And it leaves a very small brown spot but after several rains the grass grows over it and back to nadda.....

irv 06-13-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1670097)
Honestly, that is about it. :) .....I have tried everything and we have about 6 billion ants on our property. I use gasoline. A cup or so will kill a really big mound. All of the ant bait crap I have tried to use doesn't work. Gas does. And I should say I am one of the biggest eco-friendly guys in the world, to the chagrin of my neighbors. Good luck.,.,... btw, I guarantee it works. And it leaves a very small brown spot but after several rains the grass grows over it and back to nadda.....

I don't see much action with either trap I put on the front yard, but I also don't see many ants? Maybe my vinegar trick worked?

Last evening, while on the back patio, we had a major outbreak of small ants come from the edge of the patio where it meets the house. I put out a few of those Terro baits and a large number of ants were attracted to those.
All looks good tonight with very few ants running around. I checked inside those baits and most had quite a few ants in them, with, I think, the majority of them dead?

If my 2 large nests on the front yard are still active, I will try the gas trick. My only issue is, there are multiple holes so I am unsure if I dig a big one or just pour it all over the nest?