Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A reminder about vintage sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=75498)

Archive 12-14-2004 11:21 AM

A reminder about vintage sports

Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>Bare with me, this thread will be a bit off-topic. I'm not a golf enthusiast, and really don't care for the sport. However, I had a chance to watch the movie "Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius" the other day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. As it is now where money, greed, disrespect, and avarice are thriving in most professional sports, it was refreshing to watch a sports history movie that detailed the true essence of one mans love for a sport, and his will to respect the sport, and himself. I realize that the movie was most likely "Hollywood-ized", to portray Bobby as a faultless saint. But in the sole respect that he played his entire career as an ametuer, and resisted money to further respect himself and his sport, really impressed me. <br /><br />Reading sports news and watching sports tv about the NHL strike, basketball and football brawls, steriod scandals, high salaries, etc..I can't help but realize why I love baseball and it's players from the pre-1950's era. <br /><br />I think this is why most of us here have a deep love for baseball cards, and the era that we choose to adore. The game was a lot more innocent then, and the players as a whole were a lot more grateful for the game, and to each other. We love an era that quite honestly, will never be seen or displayed ever again. <br /><br />

Archive 12-14-2004 11:56 AM

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Although the money currently generated by baseball has yielded unprecedented earnings for the athletes, and this factor probably has resulted in a permanent change to the game; it is also true that prior to the abolishment of the reserve clause and other unfair rules, the game was also far different than it should have been. <br /><br />Say it isn't so.<br /><br />"It isn't so." Martha Stewart 2003<br />"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" + "It depends on what your definition of is is" Bill Clinton 2002<br />"Read my lips no more taxes" - G. Bush I<br />"I am no crook" - R. Nixon<br />"We are just out here for a sail" - Admiral Yokomoto December,1942

Archive 12-14-2004 12:28 PM

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>This is why I collect golf cards, simpler time, pure sport - Period

Archive 12-14-2004 12:39 PM

Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet</b><p>When it was a game.

Archive 12-14-2004 02:25 PM

Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>December 1941

Archive 12-14-2004 05:54 PM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>The law books are full of suits trying to break the owners' strangleholds on their players. <br /><br />Reading Jim Brosnan's pre-free-agency book is a real eye-opener, as is talking with any player who went through it in depth about the "good old days". While they all loved what they did and did not do it for money, they are all quite angry about how they were treated with regard to money, especially when it became apparent to them how much they should have been paid. Of course, I am basing my conclusions on lots of books and only one in depth personal conversation...but I think the conclusion will hold up.

Archive 12-15-2004 06:08 AM

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Yes, it is Dec. 1941 + Yamamoto.<br /><br />

Archive 12-15-2004 07:23 AM

Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no." - "Bluto" Blutarsky

Archive 12-15-2004 07:38 AM

Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Guess I missed that one.

Archive 12-15-2004 07:40 AM

Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>"Germans?"<br /><br />"Forget it, he's on a roll..."<br /><br />What? Someone that hasn't seen Animal House?

Archive 12-15-2004 07:50 AM

Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>"fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life mr. Blutarsky" - Dean W.

Archive 12-15-2004 08:01 AM

Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>"what's all this lying around stuff??!!" Blutowski<br />"well what the hell we supposed ta do ya mow-ron??!!" the Stork<br /><br /><br />"and the Stork over there...everybody thought that he was brain dead. And you call these guys losers?? Well let me tell you about another loser.." Eric Stratton, moments before being pelted with empty beer cans.<br /><br /><br />I recently brough Animal House to work for a guy to watch, who'd never seen it. When he returned it back to me, I askedhow much he liked it. His response, "I really didn't think it was that good". We don't talk any longer.<br />

Archive 12-15-2004 09:53 AM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>"face it flounder you didn't throw up in front of dean wormer; you threw up on dean wormer"<br /><br />"I, state-your-name, pledge allegiance to the frat, with liberty and fraternity for all."<br /><br />"you F****ed up; you trusted us."<br /><br />"food fight!"<br /><br />"wait till otis sees us' he loved us!"<br /><br />One of the greatest comedies of all time, right up there with Caddyshack ("This is my friend, Mr. Wang--no offense." "You buy a hat like that, you should get a bowl of soup with it--but on you it looks good." "Biggest wastes of prime real estate, golf courses and graveyards.") and Blazing Saddles ("Mongo only pawn in game of life." "That's Hedley!" "Play with these boys, in lieu of that other thing.). <br /><br />When I was in college, the singer who played Otis Day was on a college tour doing the Otis character and all of the Animal House stuff. <br /><br /><br />