Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annoying card things (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239632)

spaidly 05-12-2017 02:27 PM

Annoying card things

It has been a long week and I need to get these things off my chest. Here goes...

Reading a PSA article where cards are referred to as "pasteboards".

Finishing a set only to find out, upon auditing, I'm still one card away from completion.

Receiving cards in regular #10 envelopes.

My wife thinking that buying a new $500 dress is the "fair-is-fair" equivalent to me buying an 1888 Goodwin Champions Bob Caruthers last month. Two words: resale value.

My wife taking the resale value argument to the next level and only wants Louis Vuitton items now.

I feel better.
Scott

Leon 05-12-2017 02:36 PM

Two years ago I went from Dooney to Vuitton for her, I know the feeling 3 purses and wallets later. They are approaching my Jos Hall Cabinet value.... :eek:

Rhotchkiss 05-12-2017 03:47 PM

Wives and cards..... My son had his bar mitzvah last fall, and of course my wife needed a dress equal to the occasion (and the shoes to go with the dress). Bottom line, her beautiful red dress and fancy shoes could have gotten me 75% of the hammer price on the red Cobb blank back in heritage last night! Of course, she thinks cards are dumb and doesn't understand how I can spend so much on them, but to her, her dress and shoes were well worth it and, indeed, obligatory (even though my cards can be resold and her dress will likely never be worn again). Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!

spaidly 05-12-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1660779)
Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!

Amen, brother!

clydepepper 05-12-2017 05:33 PM

Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!

Well, let's see: I know a wife will throw out your old cards without much drama, but, to get rid of an old girlfriend...that's in a different league.

Cards know when to shut up.

Wives can sometimes cook a good meal.

You can let your friends handle your cards.

Wives can give good back rubs.

Cards are ruined if they get wet.

Wives do not like to be grouped together by age, let alone condition.

Cards are happy just to be put away someplace safe.

Wives may insist on 'salmon' colors for that 'someplace safe'.

You can donate your cards and get tax credit for them.

Wives don't like it when you attempt to donate them.

Cards can be handed down to your children and grandchildren, none of whom will appreciate them as much as you do.

...Hey...finally, that's true with wives as well.

ngnichols 05-12-2017 06:00 PM

The single life..........all of the fun you guys have without the headaches and attachments.

scooter729 05-12-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1660757)

Reading a PSA article where cards are referred to as "pasteboards".

I talked to that writer last year for an SMR article, and I begged him to stop using that term and he told me he would, since someone else told him the same thing. I guess he won't listen.

spaidly 05-12-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1660826)
I talked to that writer last year for an SMR article, and I begged him to stop using that term and he told me he would, since someone else told him the same thing. I guess he won't listen.

I was reading an article on the 1952 Berk Ross set and I think it was a few years old. Thank you for trying to stop the madness. I think I hate "pasteboard" as much as the word "moist" now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jantz 05-12-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1660757)
Receiving cards in regular #10 envelopes.

I feel your pain. Received an envelope this morning with the end slit open and my cards stolen. I contacted the member (from another website) and he informed me that this isn't the first time he has had cards stolen that he mailed out. I can't blame him for someone else's actions, but it is frustrating.

He is a stand up guy though and wants to make things right and has offered to reimburse me.

brianp-beme 05-12-2017 10:10 PM

Thought I would chime in and point out that there is nothing worse than "moist pasteboard". If I hear that phrase again I will self-incriminate my own self with a selfie stick.

Brian (I'm sorry, it must be raining, which would likely explain the fluid sloshing around in my brain)

Exhibitman 05-13-2017 08:25 AM

Modifiers preceding the word "rare" in descriptions. Rare is rare; very rare, extremely rare, etc are nonsense.

Sellers who put "rare" in every auction title.

Snapolit1 05-13-2017 08:27 AM

Yeah let's agree to retired "pasteboard". Today.

Snapolit1 05-13-2017 08:29 AM

Also quite tired of " . . . rarer than a _____". We get it. Something are very rare, yet there is little demand for them.

Exhibitman 05-13-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1660815)
I'd rather have the wife than the cards.

Anyone remember the first time you revealed your hobby to the future spouse? Kind of like admitting to a mental illness. I always thought I'd not get the wife because of the cards.

bn2cardz 05-13-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngnichols (Post 1660819)
The single life..........all of the fun you guys have without the headaches and attachments.

You know not which you speak.

Wednesday I was in the hospital room as my friend died. Her husband was not crying about the 47 years they were married together wishing he had remained single. A "happy wife" doesn't feel like a sacrifice when the happiness comes from a place of love.

Gary Dunaier 05-13-2017 07:02 PM

I may have shared this story elsewhere on Net 54, but it's appropriate here. It was written by the late stamp dealer Herman Herst, Jr., and while it's technically about stamps, no philatelic knowledge is required to appreciate it... or commiserate with the poor soul.
The customer was a doctor in Brooklyn. He needed a used single of [a very expensive stamp] and asked me to send him one on approval. Since he was a good buyer over the years, always paying promptly and never complaining, I did not hesitate to submit one.

Back it came, promptly, torn in half, with a brief note from his wife:

“My husband has received strict orders from me. He is not going to buy any more stamps. I hope this teaches you a lesson.”

Fortunately, his original letter had an office telephone number on it, and I was not long in calling him on the phone.

He thought that I was calling for not having sent the stamp. He said:

“My wife said that if she saw any more letters from stamp dealers she would open them and tear any stamps in the letter in half. I did not think she meant it.”

He continued, “It has taught me a lesson. I am going to take a Post Office Box. I will give you the address as soon as I have it.”

He did not stop buying stamps, and was decent enough to pay for the torn stamp. I asked if I might keep it as a souvenir of the stupid act of a wife jealous of her husband’s hobby.

It does not happen often that one spouse denies the other the pleasure of a hobby. But when that couple finally breaks up, her forcing him to seek additions to his collection via a Post Office Box will have been the start of it all. Happily, few of us are that dumb.
Hopefully, none of you who are married or are in long-term committed relationships have a partner like the battleaxe described above.

ValKehl 05-13-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1660972)
Modifiers preceding the word "rare" in descriptions. Rare is rare; very rare, extremely rare, etc are nonsense.

Adam, IMO, even more nonsensical are the descriptions that state, "very unique."

clydepepper 05-14-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1660977)
Anyone remember the first time you revealed your hobby to the future spouse? Kind of like admitting to a mental illness. I always thought I'd not get the wife because of the cards.

Stick to your guns, Adam...it's not you; it's them (don't they always say that anyway?).

Heard this one a few nights ago:

If you put a wife and a dog in your trunk, who's going to be happy to see you when you let them out?

LuckyLarry 05-14-2017 05:02 AM

I got divorced in 2003. My ex requested the Princess House crystal and her Beanie Babies. I got the baseball cards.
Larry

toledo_mudhen 05-14-2017 07:37 AM

So in the world of Black Angus - Rare and Medium Rare are two very different qualifiers - Just Sayin :p

jb217676 05-14-2017 02:20 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who only post pictures of cards taken with a phone, especially when it's a card for sale. There always distorted, blurry, poorly lighted, cropped badly, turned the wrong way, etc. Get a scanner, there cheap!

barrysloate 05-14-2017 03:03 PM

One of my pet peeves is when a collector says the following:

"If I sell this baseball card, I want to make sure it ends up in a good home."

Has any baseball card ever ended up in a bad home? Does anybody on this board abuse his baseball cards? Have you ever left a card on the stove next to the pilot light? Have you ever stored a card in a dank basement for an extended period? Have you ever drilled a hole in a slab with a power drill, impaling the card? Have you ever dropped a valuable card into a vat of sulfuric acid?

Trust me, anyone who pays up for a baseball card will take care of it and give it a good home. And if you are concerned it might end up with a dealer instead of a collector, forget about it. Once you sell it, it's out of your control. Just let it go.

Rhotchkiss 05-14-2017 06:59 PM

Major pet peeve - when people list cards on eBay and do not include a picture of the back (especially peevish when it's a t206 listing)

cardsnstuff 05-14-2017 07:09 PM

I am guilty of above but usually on modern stuff

One of mine as a seller is when I have a PSA card priced low, say $17.95, and a person offers 14, {which is a reasonable offer} I check VCP and it's 22, or at least above my asking price; I check recent ebay sales and they are higher too, I check other live listings and are 30% higher or more above my asking price. I counter back at 16 or 17, and they decline or worse yet no response and it expires.

I just don't understand; if a person makes an offer I would think that means they are interested in my item. But I am one paying fee's including listing, final value, paypal, & grading. So why do I always have give up the few bucks. It's not a big deal, but definitely a pet peeve. I am a collector too, so I really don't understand why the couple of bucks matter, especially if I have been searching for a particular card in a particular grade for any amount of time.

I am appreciative of any offer and that's why I always respond, it's just some times the answer is no.

wondo 05-14-2017 07:10 PM

My pet peeve is the re-posting of the same overpriced card (ttt or bump) for months or years.

1952boyntoncollector 05-14-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsnstuff (Post 1661423)
I am guilty of above but usually on modern stuff

One of mine as a seller is when I have a PSA card priced low, say $17.95, and a person offers 14, {which is a reasonable offer} I check VCP and it's 22, or at least above my asking price; I check recent ebay sales and they are higher too, I check other live listings and are 30% higher or more above my asking price. I counter back at 16 or 17, and they decline or worse yet no response and it expires.

I just don't understand; if a person makes an offer I would think that means they are interested in my item. But I am one paying fee's including listing, final value, paypal, & grading. So why do I always have give up the few bucks. It's not a big deal, but definitely a pet peeve. I am a collector too, so I really don't understand why the couple of bucks matter, especially if I have been searching for a particular card in a particular grade for any amount of time.

I am appreciative of any offer and that's why I always respond, it's just some times the answer is no.

if its not a big deal and its only over of bucks, why not just sell the card...spending time looking at all the vcp and other listings to see you could get 2 dollars more seems to suggest that it is a big deal to you and a couple of bucks matter, thus you cant say its not a big deal to the buyer for a couple of bucks when it does matter to you..

my peeve is when i see 'priced to sell' but a card doesnt sell for weeks and weeks and when you ask for a lesser price the seller is upset because its 'priced to sell'...i think they should add a time frame, like 'priced to sell in a few years' etc.'

Section103 05-14-2017 07:50 PM

As in cards and wives, moreso wives than cards, it is extremely important to choose wisely. But if you do very well in either case, you will be happy for a very long time.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-14-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1661206)
Stick to your guns, Adam...it's not you; it's them (don't they always say that anyway?).

Heard this one a few nights ago:

If you put a wife and a dog in your trunk, who's going to be happy to see you when you let them out?

Bill Maher?

brian1961 05-14-2017 11:55 PM

I know I have used the term, "pasteboards", several times on here. I don't understand why it would make you come unglued?

I think I first noticed the term used when I read one of Lionel Carter's feature articles on the DeLongs back in late 1971. It simply struck me as a synonym for "cards". When I write, if I find myself re-using the same word often, naturally I like to find a different word expressing the same thing.

So, I will not promise to withhold using the word, but I will try to hunt for another synonym for cards. My Roget's is in sight, and no doubt the internet will open some dandies. You might discover yourself finding "pasteboards" making more sense than some of the dandies that might come up. I looked up the definition of "pasteboard". It would seem Lionel Carter knew what he was talking about.

Would some of you care to share some other words for cards?

---Brian Powell

spaidly 05-15-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1661470)
I know I have used the term, "pasteboards", several times on here. I don't understand why it would make you come unglued?

I think I first noticed the term used when I read one of Lionel Carter's feature articles on the DeLongs back in late 1971. It simply struck me as a synonym for "cards". When I write, if I find myself re-using the same word often, naturally I like to find a different word expressing the same thing.

So, I will not promise to withhold using the word, but I will try to hunt for another synonym for cards. My Roget's is in sight, and no doubt the internet will open some dandies. You might discover yourself finding "pasteboards" making more sense than some of the dandies that might come up. I looked up the definition of "pasteboard". It would seem Lionel Carter knew what he was talking about.

Would some of you care to share some other words for cards?

---Brian Powell

I'm not unglued. Simply annoyed. It is the word itself that grates on me. I have added it to my collection: moist, biscuit, leotard, bae, yolk, fetus, and now pasteboard. Nothing personal.

Jay Wolt 05-15-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

My wife's a peach! I first met her when she came into my card store in the late 80's

Huysmans 05-15-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1661488)
I'm not unglued. Simply annoyed. It is the word itself that grates on me. I have added it to my collection: moist, biscuit, leotard, bae, yolk, fetus, and now pasteboard. Nothing personal.

I agree... not a fan of that term.
Even worse, as an antique hockey stick collector, I can't stand when they're referred to as "twigs". 😑

brian1961 05-15-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1661488)

Hey, that's alright, bro. Was just wondering. I do understand where you're coming from. Some words do grate on the "noives".

Have a swell week.:) ---Brian Powell

Yoda 05-15-2017 02:25 PM

One peeve that is more than pet and that is the missing card syndrome; you know it is somewhere in the house but can't find it when you need it. Discomfort turns to raw panic as you tear the place apart, knowing (you think, but are beginning to doubt) that it must be there - please God. I once dismantled an entire chest of drawers apart looking for my beautiful E106 Speaker. Tried to explain to the wife why her nice set of drawers was now a pile of wood. Needless to say, she didn't understand. Never did find the card.

Rich Falvo 05-15-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1661419)
Major pet peeve - when people list cards on eBay and do not include a picture of the back (especially peevish when it's a t206 listing)

That's high on my list, too. And it's even worse when I contact the seller asking about the back (usually asking the factory number) and get no response.

CobbSpikedMe 05-15-2017 05:21 PM

When I see someone asking a few bucks shipping on a $5K card. Really? Covering the shipping when you're getting $5K is gonna kill ya? :confused:

AddieJoss 05-17-2017 09:47 PM

For me it is the descriptions that always say, "nice for the grade", or worse, "possibility of a bump in grade!" And then most of the seller's listings say the same thing.

Leon 05-18-2017 06:02 AM

It's bad when ya start sweating after looking everywhere and can't find that missing card. Many times I have had a toploader stick to the back of a slabbed card. Those are killer to find.
I was leaving a meeting last night and thought I left my phone back in the meeting room when I was walking out and down the hall. I yelled for someone to see if it was there, and after another minute, noticed it was in my hand. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1661637)
One peeve that is more than pet and that is the missing card syndrome; you know it is somewhere in the house but can't find it when you need it. Discomfort turns to raw panic as you tear the place apart, knowing (you think, but are beginning to doubt) that it must be there - please God. I once dismantled an entire chest of drawers apart looking for my beautiful E106 Speaker. Tried to explain to the wife why her nice set of drawers was now a pile of wood. Needless to say, she didn't understand. Never did find the card.

slipk1068 05-18-2017 07:17 AM

When you list a group of cards you are selling individually, this is not a "Lot." So many times I click on a link that reads "Lot of 5 T206 for sale" only to see 5 cards individually priced.

The title shouldn't read "Lot of 5 T206 for sale" unless you have them priced as a group.

slipk1068 05-18-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1661419)

Almost as bad is when you can't enlarge the scan. I guess a couple of the major T206 sellers on feebay disable the ability to magnify the scan? I believe that is an option when you post the scans?

If they don't post back scans I think maybe they are trying to hide something but likely, they are just too lazy to scan the back. When they disable the magnifying function, the only thing I can think of is they are trying to hide something.

One major T206 seller often doesn't post back scans on any card less than $300, always disables the magnifying function, and then has the nerve to add "No returns on professionally graded cards." I usually choose to avoid...

Bill77 05-18-2017 10:34 PM

Another pet peeve I have is getting a card taped up inside of a top loader taped between cardboard and taped to the inside of the envelope as if the seller owns stock in 3M.

CW 05-18-2017 10:41 PM

Buyers who expect free shipping just because they're buying a $5K card. You've got $5K to spend on a card and a few bucks for shipping is gonna kill ya?

;)

Stonepony 05-19-2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1662671)
Buyers who expect free shipping just because they're buying a $5K card. You've got $5K to spend on a card and a few bucks for shipping is gonna kill ya?

;)

:)

btryin 05-19-2017 05:57 AM

When you're talking on your phone, looking frantically to find your phone so you can look something up on it ...

not that I know firsthand whether that's ever happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1662395)
It's bad when ya start sweating after looking everywhere and can't find that missing card. Many times I have had a toploader stick to the back of a slabbed card. Those are killer to find.
I was leaving a meeting last night and thought I left my phone back in the meeting room when I was walking out and down the hall. I yelled for someone to see if it was there, and after another minute, noticed it was in my hand. :eek:

KMayUSA6060 05-19-2017 06:38 AM

Pet Peeve #1: When people contact you and say they're interested in a card of yours, then drag the conversation along for days with massive breaks in between each response (mostly pertains to Facebook).

Pet Peeve #2: I'm going to echo the lack of back scans sentiment.

Pet Peeve #3: When I want every card in the world, but know I can't have it due to a lack of funds.

Pet Peeve #4: When I'm more responsible and have a concise want list, yet still can't buy everything on the list.

I don't have any complaints about my fiancee. She gives me crap sometimes, but ultimately she sees the value in my addiction/hobby. She views them as an investment, which I'm not sure if that's more of a coping mechanism or legitimate opinion. Either way, she's terrific. She even shops for cards for me, and learns about the hobby!

bnorth 05-19-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipk1068 (Post 1662416)
Almost as bad is when you can't enlarge the scan. I guess a couple of the major T206 sellers on feebay disable the ability to magnify the scan? I believe that is an option when you post the scans?

That technique is used by a Net54 advertiser and major eBay consignor to hide problems on a card. I LMAO when looking through their listings and notice how they disable the magnifier on some listings.

LEHR 05-19-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1660761)
Two years ago I went from Dooney to Vuitton for her, I know the feeling 3 purses and wallets later. They are approaching my Jos Hall Cabinet value.... :eek:

A few months ago I tried to get my wife to buy a purse that she was drooling over and I knew she loved. It was $90.00 and she just wouldn't do it. In her words: "I do love it but $90 is a ridiculous waste of money for a purse".

Yes, I know I've got it good!:)

brian1961 05-19-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEHR (Post 1662772)
A few months ago I tried to get my wife to buy a purse that she was drooling over and I knew she loved. It was $90.00 and she just wouldn't do it. In her words: "I do love it but $90 is a ridiculous waste of money for a purse".

Yes, I know I've got it good!:)

Here's where you take over, pal. Buy her the purse on the sly. When it comes, hand it to her with a hug, look deep into her eyes, and tell her, "Darling, because you're well worth this $90 purse, and a whole lot more." A wife needs to feel cherished from time to time. She might cry with joy, and that is quite all right. Regardless, she will remember your loving gift for the rest of her life.:)

Do it, brother, and I wish you two the very best. ---Brian Powell

clydepepper 05-19-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1661439)
Bill Maher?

I don't normally quote him, but funny is funny.

BeanTown 05-19-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

We all get addicted to things. There are good and bad addictions. Mine is fantasy and collecting cards. After getting divorced, I went on match.com and listed all my addictions so there were no surprises down the road. Worked out perfectly as the Gal I met loves me for being me! No more hiding small boxes with 50.00 of insurance on it when it comes in.