Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vintage Bowman - players who didn't get cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250853)

TanksAndSpartans 02-02-2018 09:23 PM

Vintage Bowman - players who didn't get cards
 
Night Train Lane intercepted 14 passes in the 12 game '52 season and somehow didn't get a football card. Bill Willis is widely considered to be the era's best middle guard, but the Vintage Football Card Gallery (my go to source) only shows a '77 card.

I know Lane got a '57 Topps - did Willis ever get a Browns team issue or anything contemporary? Thanks!

jefferyepayne 02-03-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 1744500)
Night Train Lane intercepted 14 passes in the 12 game '52 season and somehow didn't get a football card. Bill Willis is widely considered to be the era's best middle guard, but the Vintage Football Card Gallery (my go to source) only shows a '77 card.

I know Lane got a '57 Topps - did Willis ever get a Browns team issue or anything contemporary? Thanks!

I believe there is a Willis in a team issue from the early 50's. Maybe 1953? Also a 1953 Lane pre-rookie team card that's worth tracking down.

jeff

TanksAndSpartans 02-03-2018 10:31 AM

Thanks Jeff. If anyone has the Lane pre-rookie oR Willis team issue, I'd like to see those if an image is available. Thanks.

jefferyepayne 02-03-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 1744612)
Thanks Jeff. If anyone has the Lane pre-rookie oR Willis team issue, I'd like to see those if an image is available. Thanks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NG...S=w424-h640-no

jeff

TanksAndSpartans 02-03-2018 09:03 PM

Very Nice - thanks Jeff. Do you have the whole set?

jefferyepayne 02-04-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 1744828)
Very Nice - thanks Jeff. Do you have the whole set?

I do. Bought it as a set. They pop up on ebay occasionally and aren't too expensive so I snagged one a few years ago. This is Lane's TRUE rookie card. I don't care what the ridiculous books say.

jeff

PowderedH2O 02-09-2018 07:50 PM

A lot of the AAFC guys didn't get cards. Spec Sanders was still a fine player by 1950 and he didn't get a card. He was arguably the top running back of the late 40's, and a solid defensive back too.

TanksAndSpartans 02-12-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1746652)
A lot of the AAFC guys didn't get cards. Spec Sanders was still a fine player by 1950 and he didn't get a card. He was arguably the top running back of the late 40's, and a solid defensive back too.

I would've liked a card of Sanders. I think he's one of those players that gets lost in history. After military service and the AAFC, he only played the one NFL season strictly on defense and winds up setting an interception record with 13 in a 12 game season - the same record I mentioned Lane breaking in my op.

Rookiemonster 02-13-2018 10:50 PM

When I first heard of Benny Friedman I looked for a card of him. I was thinking maybe it would be in National chicle set. Nope 1955 all American. This was very hard for me to believe.

jefferyepayne 02-14-2018 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1747848)
When I first heard of Benny Friedman I looked for a card of him. I was thinking maybe it would be in National chicle set. Nope 1955 all American. This was very hard for me to believe.

Friedman does have a couple of cards from his playing days but they are extremely hard to find. One is in the 1926 Spalding set and the other in the 1928 Star Player Candy set. There is also a hard to find color "card" of Friedman that was part of a set of college football captains published in a Chicago newspaper in 1926. This one is really tough too!

I have the Spalding and newspaper ones if you want to see what they look like. Have never been able to find a Star Player Candy Benny Friedman. Carl: you want to share an image?

jeff

P.S. Friedman was the first great NFL passer. I'm working on a story on him (and his cards) that I hope to get published in Gridiron Greats magazine at some point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.