Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Let's see your vintage baseball caps (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251902)

Chris Counts 04-14-2021 08:41 AM

Go Redlegs! Those four Cincinnati caps are off the charts. Who made them?

GaryPassamonte 04-14-2021 09:18 AM

Great!

perezfan 04-14-2021 10:00 AM

John:

All of those Reds Caps are to die for... obviously! Jaw-droppers for sure...

But yours is the first example I have seen of the early Cap with the "star" at the top. I've seen these intriguing Caps in early photos and in period Catalogs. But never an actual example. Can you tell us what material the brim is made of? It looks really unique, whatever it is.

Incredible stuff!

pedodds 04-14-2021 01:50 PM

Reds Cap's Manufacturer's

All but the 34 road were made by Goldsmith. The 34 road was made by Spalding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2092783)
Go Redlegs! Those four Cincinnati caps are off the charts. Who made them?

pedodds 04-14-2021 01:55 PM

"Star Cap"

Mark- The bill is a fiber material....I'm not sure how it would have fared in the rain?
Cool thing is it has a small write-up from the family! Name of the team and player that used it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2092809)
John:

All of those Reds Caps are to die for... obviously! Jaw-droppers for sure...

But yours is the first example I have seen of the early Cap with the "star" at the top. I've seen these intriguing Caps in early photos and in period Catalogs. But never an actual example. Can you tell us what material the brim is made of? It looks really unique, whatever it is.

Incredible stuff!

bgar3 04-14-2021 02:49 PM

John, it is astounding how you have been able to assemble such significant collections of so many varied baseball categories. My favorite is the Peck and Snyder cap. Is that a photo of a team wearing a similar cap?

ksfarmboy 04-14-2021 03:12 PM

John can you post a picture of the Peck and Snyder label? Great, great hats!!

pedodds 04-14-2021 05:10 PM

P&S Label

It’s long worn off...I made the assumption based off the advertisements. Not sure what other manufacturers/hat makers there were back in the day?🤪
The interior leather band is still intact for the most part....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfarmboy (Post 2092943)
John can you post a picture of the Peck and Snyder label? Great, great hats!!

pedodds 04-14-2021 05:14 PM

P&S Star Cap

Hey Bruce,
I have collected some period statues and a few images with individual players and teams with stars on their caps to pair with it. I’ll send you an email later tonight...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 2092931)
John, it is astounding how you have been able to assemble such significant collections of so many varied baseball categories. My favorite is the Peck and Snyder cap. Is that a photo of a team wearing a similar cap?

icollectDCsports 04-14-2021 05:29 PM

John -- Many thanks for posting those photos. Such great caps and accompanying displays. Do you have any Washington Senators caps?

pedodds 04-14-2021 06:31 PM

Senators Caps..

I wish! I know one guy that may have an example. He's hunting right now, if you know him? I'll call him this weekend and check. If he is interested in selling I'll message you. 👍🤞

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 2092990)
John -- Many thanks for posting those photos. Such great caps and accompanying displays. Do you have any Washington Senators caps?

Chris Counts 05-10-2021 03:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Does anybody have any idea what this is? It sold last night in a Heritage auction for just $492, so others clearly had their doubts. It was described as a 1940s Yankees cap, but the MLBCollectors.com site lists it as a 1923. Aside from the stamp in the leather band, it looks to me like a throwback made by the Cooperstown Cap Co. in modern times ...

baseball tourist 11-20-2021 09:46 AM

Vancouver Mounties 1961 “Alt Site” Cap

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up a cool game used cap from 1961 PCL Vancouver Mounties. “N W” was used to denote New Westminster (40 min drive from Vancouver), the site the Mounties played the day games of a certain, scheduled, Saturday doubleheaders; before hosting the nightcap back at Capilano Stadium in Vancouver.

The cap is attributed to catcher Charley Lau who played for the Mounties in 1961.

Does anyone have a photo of the Mounties wearing the NW cap?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Lau

antiquebaseballuniforms 11-29-2021 07:56 AM

Old Baseball Caps

Here are some from my collection:

https://www.antiquebaseballuniforms.com/caps

Cheers,
Mark

(Mark's post above is amazing!!)

Chris Counts 11-29-2021 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That's a proper man cave on your welcome page, Mark! I rarely see a collection displayed that makes mine feel small. I am truly impressed.

Since we're on the subject of caps, here are a few minor league beauties I haven't posted before. Here's an early 1950s Indianapolis Indians cap, a 1939 American Association All-Stars cap and a late 1940s Rochester Red Wings cap ...