Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More Fraud Alleged Against John Rogers -- And a Very Convenient Divorce (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197756)

calvindog 12-01-2014 09:05 PM

More Fraud Alleged Against John Rogers -- And a Very Convenient Divorce

When John Rogers wasn't lying to the FBI and double-crossing Doug Allen, he was defrauding innocent victims and committing bank fraud. While it's pretty clear he will be pleading guilty to federal crimes, I'm curious to see what the sentencing judge will think about his hilarious divorce in which his wife got all the assets -- and he got all the debt.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/arti...-more-lawsuits

Peter_Spaeth 12-01-2014 09:22 PM

I guess he and she didn't see eye to eye in more ways than one, judging by the picture. :D

GasHouseGang 12-01-2014 11:19 PM

Maybe they thought if they split and he took all the debt, creditors wouldn't be able to get to the assets since they would belong to his wife.

oldjudge 12-02-2014 12:16 AM

Is the Sports Cards Plus referred to in the article the Laguna Niguel auction house?

Brian Van Horn 12-02-2014 04:45 AM

Small consolation (head dropped to chest and shaking side to side):

"The 0-for-50 batting performance didn’t extend to all the items purchased by Roberts for his National Pastime Museum, a website for displaying his collection of baseball memorabilia.

“That led to further work,” said Robert Ted Parker, Roberts’ attorney in the California lawsuit. “Some were genuine, and some aren’t.”

O-for-50?! Just my two cents, but that consistent performance for one part of the dealings will have its reward in the sentencing.

bobbyw8469 12-02-2014 05:24 AM

ugggg

calvindog 12-02-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1350186)
Maybe they thought if they split and he took all the debt, creditors wouldn't be able to get to the assets since they would belong to his wife.

That's certainly the obvious implication of such a "divorce." The problem with criminals like Rogers -- besides the obvious dishonesty and willingness to steal from anyone they come in contact with -- is their belief that they are smarter than everyone in the room. Much like Doug and Bill, just a whiff of Rogers makes clear to any reasonably intelligent person that one is dealing with a common criminal.

bobfreedman 12-02-2014 07:34 AM

Sports Card Plus

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1350188)
Is the Sports Cards Plus referred to in the article the Laguna Niguel auction house?

No, they are two entirely different businesses, David Kohler runs and owns SCP in Laguna Nigel and has nothing to do with John Rogers.

Brian Van Horn 12-02-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1350235)
That's certainly the obvious implication of such a "divorce." The problem with criminals like Rogers -- besides the obvious dishonesty and willingness to steal from anyone they come in contact with -- is their belief that they are smarter than everyone in the room. Much like Doug and Bill, just a whiff of Rogers makes clear to any reasonably intelligent person that one is dealing with a common criminal.

I believe the term is sociopath, but that is just my opinion.

Jay Wolt 12-02-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1350244)
No, they are two entirely different businesses, David Kols runs and owns SCP in Laguna Nigel and has nothing to do with John Rogers.

That would be David Kohler

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 12-02-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1350235)

I am amazed by some people's belief in their ability to talk their way out of unwinnable situations. I'd bet that you've had a few clients like this.

Section103 12-02-2014 09:50 AM

Anyone have Ms. Rogers phone number now that she's available?

Jobu 12-02-2014 11:27 AM

That depends - which eye are we talking about? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1350158)
I guess he and she didn't see eye to eye in more ways than one, judging by the picture. :D

Exhibitman 12-02-2014 11:34 AM

Maybe he and Mastro can be cellies?

Brian Van Horn 12-02-2014 12:00 PM

John Rogers, Doug Allen, Peter Nash and Bill Mastro. In a hobby that is rife with stories of fraud, these four possibly could be Mount Rushmore.

frankbmd 12-02-2014 12:28 PM

Beechwood 4-5789

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section103 (Post 1350268)
Anyone have Ms. Rogers phone number now that she's available?

Try this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us18AUBM2RI

Peter_Spaeth 12-02-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1350316)
John Rogers, Doug Allen, Peter Nash and Bill Mastro. In a hobby that is rife with stories of fraud, these four possibly could be Mount Rushmore.

Oh there are worse, in my opinion. Far worse.

calvindog 12-02-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1350336)
Oh there are worse, in my opinion. Far worse.

Inside knowledge? Friends? Co-conspirators? All three? :)

Peter_Spaeth 12-02-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1350384)
Inside knowledge? Friends? Co-conspirators? All three? :)

Clients? :)

slidekellyslide 12-03-2014 08:33 AM

Whatever happened to Henry Yee's partnership with Rogers? How is this collection of photos going to be sold? There's no way the hobby could absorb it all it once without it going for pennies per photo.