Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show...me...your print variations! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722)

savedfrommyspokes 02-21-2018 07:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The extra "white cloud" above the trees on this 68 Curt Flood card has been noted as a print variation, but until today, I had not noticed that this print variation has variations. The cloud appears to come in various sizes. I wondered if this cloud was similar to the cloud appearing on the 461-492 68 Topps cards. However, the Belanger card to the left of the Flood card does not appear to have a cloud appearing on it's right edge to match the Flood card's cloud.

ALR-bishop 02-21-2018 09:33 AM

Wonder if this defect shows up on any versions of his MB cards. It does not appear on the one in my MB set

savedfrommyspokes 02-21-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1749927)
Wonder if this defect shows up on any versions of his MB cards. It does not appear on the one in my MB set

The variable clouds do not show up on my MB copy either or on any of the other MB copies of this card I have handled over the years. Based on how the MB cards were produced (on a sheet with FB and HR cards)separate from regular Topps cards, my guess is that this print variation is only going to be found on regular issued cards.

Exhibitman 02-21-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1742522)
This 63 Fleer BRobby came today as part of a group of cards I won on ebay....in the images for the listing, it appeared someone had colored the front borders of this card, but the green on the front is actually due to the front having the most profound wet sheet transfer I have ever come across. The green on the front border is very crisp and heavy as compared to other wet sheet transfers I have seen. The green on the front of this card is as dark of a green as I have on some backs of other cards from this set. While I have several 60 Fleer FB this has occurred with, I have never seen this with a 63 Fleer baseball card...anyone have any 63 Fleers like this?

I don't think that is a wet sheet transfer with two colors. More likely explanation is they ran the sheet through to clear the press during some sort of maintenance or set-up and then accidentally used it in the run rather than scrapping it.

savedfrommyspokes 02-21-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1749947)
I don't think that is a wet sheet transfer with two colors. More likely explanation is they ran the sheet through to clear the press during some sort of maintenance or set-up and then accidentally used it in the run rather than scrapping it.

Originally, I thought the same thing. But all of the print is mirror imaged (as it would be with a wet sheet transfer). Now, I am not a print process expert, but if the printer ran this sheet through to clear the press and caused this, wouldn't the printed portion appear normally instead of mirror imaged?

This card could also be caused by a combination of a wet sheet transfer (the mirror imaged print) and running the sheet back through the press (the green border) for some reason.

steve B 02-21-2018 03:44 PM

Most of the very clear wet sheet transfers are actually cylinder impressions.

The inked plate prints to the offset blanket, and that prints to the cardstock or paper, backed up by the impression cylinder, basically a smooth steel roller. Without it, imagine the difference between using a rubber stamp on a paper placed on a desk compared to a paper you're just holding.

If there's a misfeed, or some other reason the press runs without a sheet being between the offset blanket and the impression cylinder the offset sheet prints to the impression cylinder.
The next sheet, possibly more, but at a minimum the next sheet gets pressed against the impression cylinder by the offset blanket (Loads of force there!)
And that prints to the reverse side of that sheet.

swarmee 02-21-2018 04:40 PM

Is this one well-known yet?
https://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1953...&size=original
1953 Bowman Color - [Base] #1 - Davey Williams [Good*to*VG‑EX]
Courtesy of COMC.com
Three dots on bottom left corner of 1953 Bowman Color #1 Davey Williams. Recurring print defect. 3 of the 18 or so on COMC have it.

ALR-bishop 02-21-2018 06:08 PM

It's much better known now, John :)

swarmee 02-21-2018 06:24 PM

For some reason my Copy/Paste buffer still had a Jerry Rice card I posted yesterday. Did you use the "wayback machine" to see the pre-edit or just happen to see it during the minute it was Rice?

savedfrommyspokes 02-22-2018 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Came across this card today....the back caught my attention first. As I flipped through the lot of cards this was card was a part of, I saw #25 and thought I had a Whitey Ford card. Not to be, the back was Tom Surdivant(?), and the front was Pete Runnels. It appears the front of Runnels card may have been pasted on the Sturdivant back. However, still curious about the #25 Sturdivant, I turned this up:

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/02/20/2114902/

This Sturdivant portion of this card is part of a 57 Topps salesman panel....does anyone know what the front of this panel looks like?