Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blatantly Trimmed & Graded Old Judges in Goodwin Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236899)

Leon 03-15-2017 09:39 AM

Blatantly Trimmed & Graded Old Judges in Goodwin Auction

Just in case someone is fooled by a holder it should be known that these 2 Old Judges are blatantly trimmed and should be in AUT holders. They should all have the mfg at bottom of the fronts. I hope no one gets taken.....they are miss graded.... I would have thought it would be pointed out but I guess not. All companies are apt to make mistakes....they are human after all. And it is our job to point them out.

https://www.goodwinandco.com/mobile/...entoryid=35053

https://www.goodwinandco.com/mobile/...entoryid=35062

CardMD 03-15-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1641413)
Just in case someone is fooled by a holder it should be known that these 2 Old Judges are blatantly trimmed and should be in AUT holders. I hope no one gets taken.....they are miss graded.... I would have thought it would be pointed out but I guess not. All companies are apt to make mistakes....they are human after all. And it is our job to point them out.

https://www.goodwinandco.com/mobile/...entoryid=35053

https://www.goodwinandco.com/mobile/...entoryid=35062

What!! SGC graded a trimmed card? Well I will be a monkeys uncle! ;)
I have learned that lesson before. Thankfully lower priced cards. I try not to buy SGC anymore.

Aaron

Leon 03-15-2017 09:45 AM

I guess your mouse was only able to click on one link, nice. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardMD (Post 1641415)
What!! SGC graded a trimmed card? Well I will be a monkeys uncle! ;)
I have learned that lesson before. Thankfully lower priced cards. I try not to buy SGC anymore.

Aaron

CardMD 03-15-2017 09:57 AM

Not sure I understand.

I was just poking fun. I have seen so many SGC T206s that look trimmed.

I definitely appreciate you pointing these things out! Thanks Leon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon 03-15-2017 10:02 AM

Let me help you. You pointed out the SGC issue but not the PSA one. Now do you understand? They both make mistakes.....PSA grades more cards so they make more mistakes. But just as when you and I make them, they are still mistakes. I wouldn't want someone less experienced buying those without knowing they should have the ad at bottom. The SGC one almost looks like it could have been a miscut but regardless it shouldn't have been given a number, imo. There is no doubt in my mind SGC does a better job of grading.....but we all have our own views on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardMD (Post 1641418)
Not sure I understand.

I was just poking fun. I have seen so many SGC T206s that look trimmed.

I definitely appreciate you pointing these things out! Thanks Leon.

RedsFan1941 03-15-2017 10:02 AM

Not a banner day for either SGC or PSA. Or Goodwin for that matter.

gregr2 03-15-2017 10:03 AM

The card in the second link was graded a 2 by PSA.

irv 03-15-2017 10:07 AM

http://caimages.collectors.com/psace...1_597x1006.jpg

CardMD 03-15-2017 10:08 AM

Ahhhh. I see. I got it. With all the money we are paying them. Man.

Jobu 03-15-2017 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wish there was a way to get those same two graders to slab my Keefe! :D

Leon 03-15-2017 10:12 AM

And the reason for this thread could be seen in the PM I just now received from an appreciative board member....

Hi Leon,
Thanks for the heads up on that PSA 2 Kelly. I'm an OJ novice, and will cease bidding on that one immediately. If I happen to win it at the current bid of $636, it's probably still a good (or at least decent) deal.

Thank goodness I didn't put in my max yet... I'll have to remember to look a lot closer at graded cards going forward.

D

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardMD (Post 1641426)
Ahhhh. I see. I got it. With all the money we are paying them. Man.

irv 03-15-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1641429)
And the reason for this thread could be seen in the PM I just now received from an appreciative board member....

Hi Leon,
Thanks for the heads up on that PSA 2 Kelly. I'm an OJ novice, and will cease bidding on that one immediately. If I happen to win it at the current bid of $636, it's probably still a good (or at least decent) deal.

Thank goodness I didn't put in my max yet... I'll have to remember to look a lot closer at graded cards going forward.

D

Good job, Leon!

irv 03-15-2017 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1641428)
I wish there was a way to get those same two graders to slab my Keefe! :D

If you happen to find them, I'd like to get my Mantle done as well. :D

trdcrdkid 03-15-2017 11:59 AM

Unfortunately this is far from the first time I've seen a trimmed Old Judge get a number grade. They usually seem to be the 1887 OJs with the "Old Judge" banner at the top, which apparently fools the graders, who don't realize that there's still supposed to be a Goodwin & Co. ad at the bottom.

clydepepper 03-15-2017 12:03 PM

Leon - You Da MAN!!

Leon 03-15-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1641471)
Leon - You Da MAN!!

It was Jay M (hey Jay) who pointed it out in the other thread. No better person for OJ's .....I remember this fact too but skipped over it, at first, in the auction. It seems we always concentrate on what we enjoy and know best.

scotty21690 03-15-2017 05:27 PM

Hey look I can Battlefield too!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1641433)
if you happen to find them, i'd like to get my mantle done as well. :d

MICKEY MANTLE 1952 TOPPS RAZOR SHARP CORNERS NRMINT+ INCREDIBLE!!!!! AMAZING!!!! ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING!!!! WOW!!!!

Guaranteed 100% authentic and unaltered!!

mechanicalman 03-15-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty21690 (Post 1641581)
MICKEY MANTLE 1952 TOPPS RAZOR SHARP CORNERS NRMINT+ INCREDIBLE!!!!! AMAZING!!!! ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING!!!! WOW!!!!

Instant classic.

irv 03-15-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty21690 (Post 1641581)

Great job! :D

Nice to be able to see my card likely the way it came out of the pack!

Rich Klein 03-16-2017 12:11 PM

Question:

Do you all feel that it is the job of the auction house to ferret out this cards wrongly graded or is the job of the auction house to put up the cards for sale and let the public decide?

Thanks!
Rich

bn2cardz 03-16-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1641791)
Question:

Do you all feel that it is the job of the auction house to ferret out this cards wrongly graded or is the job of the auction house to put up the cards for sale and let the public decide?

Thanks!
Rich

To me it is just good business sense even if not a legal one.

I believe they should be compelled by their own reputation to find these issues. It is their advertising and the entity that will receive the payment. So it is on them to best represent the item so as to assure that their customers are not put off by their selling of a card that wasn't accurately described.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-16-2017 01:10 PM

As someone who works for an auction house, do things slip through the cracks? Absolutely. If we spot something do we keep quiet and hope for the best? Absolutely not.

Section103 03-16-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1641806)
As someone who works for an auction house, do things slip through the cracks? Absolutely. If we spot something do we keep quiet and hope for the best? Absolutely not.

Pretty much this. An auction house isnt going to catch every single issue, but if they know it exists; I believe they should be compelled to disclose.