Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is this 52 Mantle authentic? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165238)

Sean1125 03-13-2013 05:55 AM

Is this 52 Mantle authentic?

Either someone is out a lot of cash or someone got a hell of a deal...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topps-1952...p2047675.l2557

the 'stache 03-13-2013 06:26 AM

This would be the variation B of the '52 Mantle. I have my doubts as to it's authenticity.

For one, the top horizontal black border is supposed to extend beyond the vertical borders on both sides, and it does not appear to do that on the left side.

Other forum members will be able to comment as to the paper stock that this card is printed on, but I would be wary.

Sean1125 03-13-2013 06:54 AM

I thought it was bad due to a few 'missing ink' spots, I really need to learn how to tell card stock based on photos though.

Edit* Also, the S in "dimaggio's" is too far to the right (I believe) can anyone else verify that?

KCRfan1 03-13-2013 07:22 AM

I would be wary too. There are no returns, and shipping " varies ". Maybe sent via FedEx, or an envelope with a stamp. This is a rough card, and for twice as much I could get a better looking card, and graded. At 2k, this card is not a great deal for me. If I could not come up with ( or save ) 4 - 5k for a 52 Mantle, I'm content with not owning the card. Personally, it's too hard to tell from the images about the cardboard and authenticity. I would have to have a lot of communication from the seller to feel comfortable with this one, since all they sell is childrens clothes.

cammb 03-13-2013 10:37 AM

Mantle rookie

Even if this card is authentic it is not worth 2 thousand. Why anyone would spend that much on a damaged card needs their head examined.

Sean1125 03-13-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammb (Post 1102758)
Even if this card is authentic it is not worth 2 thousand. Why anyone would spend that much on a damaged card needs their head examined.

If authentic it is worth more than 2k.... i sold a bad one (1) for $2800 last week...

Bestdj777 03-14-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammb (Post 1102758)

I spent more than that on my PSA 1. Had my head checked out. Doctor doesn't think there are any issues.

As far as this card goes, it looks a little funny to me. I wouldn't have touched it.

Volod 03-14-2013 01:52 PM

Buyer had a couple thousand transactions, so perhaps knowledgeable about cards to some extent. Apparently, it was listed with a start bid of $400 and BIN $2000, and the guy jumped on it eight minutes after it appeared. As beat up as it is, it might be genuine - hard to really tell from a scan.

Sean1125 03-15-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1103289)
Buyer had a couple thousand transactions, so perhaps knowledgeable about cards to some extent. Apparently, it was listed with a start bid of $400 and BIN $2000, and the guy jumped on it eight minutes after it appeared. As beat up as it is, it might be genuine - hard to really tell from a scan.

Yeah, he posted fresh scans (he got the card in)... It looks authentic in his scans, the borders look correct and so does letter spacing. The auction pictures are terrible. I think he got a steal, looks good to me and he said in hand it looks good to him.

Brianruns10 03-15-2013 01:44 PM

Honestly, I think it's legit. Fakes tend to be of the type A with the cleaner name border, and every fake I've seen has a tell in that the name is too high, when the base of the Y in Mickey practically touches the border.

Fakes also tend to be perfectly centered, and have unusually clean surfaces while exhibiting strong (yet suspiciously even) rounding on all four corners.

This card's wear look honest and real, and while the colors look off, I think this is due to the photo being under tungsten lighting with a daylight balance filter, which gives a heavy orange look. But the way it is printed looks right...the colors don't float as they would with an inkjet printer, and they're not as contrasty as the copies which have a multi-gen dupe quality to them.

Would I buy this card? Absolutely not. I think only suckers or people with money to burn would buy a raw '52 Mantle on ebay. But in this case, I'd say it looks legit, albeit a beater, and not something I'd pay 2K for.

sportscollector 03-17-2013 12:50 AM

that mantle is the auction scan is 100% authentic. come you guys this should be very simple to see. I own 4 52 topps mickey mantles and that card in the auction is the real deal. $2000 seems about right for the card because there is a huge chunk of paper loss on the card. Decent PSA 1's go for $3500 to $4500. This mantle would grade authentic or a 1 maybe

Sean1125 03-17-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscollector (Post 1104244)
that mantle is the auction scan is 100% authentic. come you guys this should be very simple to see. I own 4 52 topps mickey mantles and that card in the auction is the real deal. $2000 seems about right for the card because there is a huge chunk of paper loss on the card. Decent PSA 1's go for $3500 to $4500. This mantle would grade authentic or a 1 maybe

What grades are your Mantles? Can you post some scans?

To say what you have with certainty from those scans is a pretty bold statement.

I saw the much better scans, after the fact, where you can actually make out the details and I still have my doubts (even though I do believe it is good).

sportscollector 03-17-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1104279)
What grades are your Mantles? Can you post some scans?

To say what you have with certainty from those scans is a pretty bold statement.

I saw the much better scans, after the fact, where you can actually make out the details and I still have my doubts (even though I do believe it is good).

PSA authentic
PSA 1 x2
PSA 4

HRBAKER 03-17-2013 02:36 PM

Man that's a gnarly looking $2000 card.

pawpawdiv9 03-17-2013 02:54 PM

Looks real to be, based on this site: http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/52toppsmantlereal.htm

The only issue i have is the U, in U.S.A , Does the U, look chopped off at the top??
The other characteristics look right/
The red box is not too wide, the stitches on the ball point right, The S in Dimmagio is lined under the right letter.
I would like to see a better front scan of the 'stars' on the front to see color pixels clearer.

Bestdj777 03-17-2013 03:02 PM

Here it is up for sale again (not my auction):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...item1c310229e5

From these scans, it looks real to me. I don't believe you can ever say for certain though by just looking at a scan.

pawpawdiv9 03-17-2013 03:50 PM

The only thing left to ASK!!!
A pic of him holding the card....so you know these pics are not copy/pasted

ALR-bishop 03-17-2013 03:57 PM

52 Mantle

I have both versions of this card. In my view, this is one of those cards that should be bought in person, if you are familiar with it and 52 Topps cards, or from some reputable dealer, preferably graded ( and I am not a graded collector and for the most part shun graded cards).

the 'stache 03-18-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1104448)
Looks real to be, based on this site: http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/52toppsmantlereal.htm

That's the page I used when I made my comparison, and it was the top border that raised questions for me. It's supposed to clearly extend beyond the vertical border on either side, and from the auction picture, I couldn't see that. And, as a general rule of thumb, I am always suspicious when I see a raw '52 Topps Mantle.

If the buyer got better pictures, and it shows that the border not appearing is due to some type of paper issue, or fading, and not due to a forgery attempt, then I withdraw my initial comment. But I could only comment on what I saw.

Sean1125 03-18-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscollector (Post 1104382)
PSA authentic
PSA 1 x2
PSA 4

Can you show me the 4 please?

Volod 03-18-2013 11:26 AM

I guess the general consensus in the hobby - at least among veteran, knowledgeable collectors - is that it is no longer possible - or likely - that some naif might open a drawer in a musty old desk and find a Mantle card lying untouched there for 60 years? My last illusions have been put to rest.