Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   David Hall T206 sale -- part 2 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273765)

benjulmag 09-20-2019 05:07 AM

David Hall T206 sale -- part 2

Being more a memorabilia collector than a card collector, I lack the expertise of many in assessing what recent auction results can tell us about market conditions.

So I'm curious as to what thoughts people have as to the prices realized from last night's Heritage auction of the second part of David Hall's collection. There were many high grade cards, and IMO the trimming done on many of them was so blatant when examined under the high magnification Heritage's website allows that it enraged me the fraud that is taking place. And if the trimming was not enough, the red flags given by the appearance of some of the cards should have given pause to even the most inexperienced graders. (e.g., https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515 -- side borders show clear unevenness along with cardboard shavings.)

swarmee 09-20-2019 05:17 AM

For the card you point out, American Beauties are normally considered to be cut short from the factory since their packs were narrower rather than trimmed. The left and right borders are very small for that reason.

Edit: since I saw your original post got edited, maybe you know this already? I didn't log in to see the higher res scans.

benjulmag 09-20-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1918105)
For the card you point out, American Beauties are normally considered to be cut short from the factory since their packs were narrower rather than trimmed. The left and right borders are very small for that reason.

Edit: since I saw your original post got edited, maybe you know this already? I didn't log in to see the higher res scans.

John, you are correct and I am aware of that. But even by American Beauty standards, this card (to me at least) stood out, and that fact alone should have lead to more stringent examination of the borders.

ullmandds 09-20-2019 05:37 AM

Scrolling through some of the hall collection i have to agree... and I’m not referring to the American beauty cards. Many of the cards appear to be tampered with having super thin borders...this is nothing new to me.

Peter_Spaeth 09-20-2019 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bat On 7.5 sure looked to me like it had a crease in the upper left corner.

slidekellyslide 09-20-2019 06:28 AM

Wasn’t David Hall in the room when Mastro’s handiwork was given an 8? His entire collection is one big conflict of interest.

ullmandds 09-20-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1918114)
wasn’t david hall in the room when mastro’s handiwork was given an 8? His entire collection is one big conflict of interest.

yup!

chriskim 09-20-2019 07:09 AM

David claims his Wagner has no creases but just trimmed on the sides.... he definitely see things differently... go figure!

chriskim 09-20-2019 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
no creases!

Peter_Spaeth 09-20-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Wasn’t David Hall in the room when Mastro’s handiwork was given an 8? His entire collection is one big conflict of interest.

I would surmise not only was he in the room but it was his decision. It was his company.

chriskim 09-20-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1918132)
I would surmise not only was he in the room but it was his decision. It was his company.

Whatever card owns serial number 00000001 needs to be HUGE!!! (In fact serial number 00000002 was also a Wagner)

scooter729 09-20-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Wasn’t David Hall in the room when Mastro’s handiwork was given an 8?

Hall said this exactly at a PSA lunch at the Baltimore National (if memory serves me right) a number of years ago.

Scott S@r!an

benjulmag 09-20-2019 09:35 AM

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what the sale prices reveal about the market, and whether the market is adjusting to reflect concerns over alterations?

Vintageclout 09-20-2019 09:56 AM

T206 Cobbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1918151)
Does anybody have any thoughts as to what the sale prices reveal about the market, and whether the market is adjusting to reflect concerns over alterations?

PSA 8 Bat Off Cobb - $60K; PSA 7.5 Bat On Cobb - $36K; PSA 8 Red Portrait Polar Bear Cobb - $88K; PSA 7 Green Portrait Cobb - $66K (I believe)....no bidding restrictions at all on the Cobb’s with several of those price tags record values. Butchered Wagner $540K....OMG!!!! Market is very strong.

RCMcKenzie 09-20-2019 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought the prices were strong. The Barbeau did very well. I grabbed this Ginger Beaumont. I probably paid too much, but I like the card. Beaumont was a good player that is not in many card series. Rob

Ronnie73 09-20-2019 12:17 PM

I believe the market continues to be strong. The hobby still has many great deals out there. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. As far as David Hall's Part 2, I didn't bid on any mainly because nearly all cards are common front/back combo's. I've never been a fan of high grade cards. I didn't spend much time viewing the cards closely. Always bid on the card and not the holder. Learn how to grade your own cards and everything will be fine.

ejharrington 09-20-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1918104)
Being more a memorabilia collector than a card collector, I lack the expertise of many in assessing what recent auction results can tell us about market conditions.

So I'm curious as to what thoughts people have as to the prices realized from last night's Heritage auction of the second part of David Hall's collection. There were many high grade cards, and IMO the trimming done on many of them was so blatant when examined under the high magnification Heritage's website allows that it enraged me the fraud that is taking place. And if the trimming was not enough, the red flags given by the appearance of some of the cards should have given pause to even the most inexperienced graders. (e.g., https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515 -- side borders show clear unevenness along with cardboard shavings.)

I generally agree. I collect the Red Sox cards. The Speaker card was very nice looking. I didn't see anything not to like about that card. But several of the others looked short or overgraded (Cicotte and Kleinow in particular).

CMIZ5290 09-20-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 1918208)
I believe the market continues to be strong. The hobby still has many great deals out there. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. As far as David Hall's Part 2, I didn't bid on any mainly because nearly all cards are common front/back combo's. I've never been a fan of high grade cards. I didn't spend much time viewing the cards closely. Always bid on the card and not the holder. Learn how to grade your own cards and everything will be fine.

Market is good, but will never be like it was when David was collecting rare backs. You absolutely had to outbid him if he needed the card......A lot of times it was one guy versus him, now there is no him.....

investinrookies 09-20-2019 06:50 PM

David Hall T206 sale -- part 2

I grabbed the johnson psa 6, I liked the registration and eye appeal, also didn’t appear trimmed. But who knows anymore and maybe I missed something?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...da03b86312.jpg

Bridwell 09-20-2019 07:29 PM

Heritage Auction

I bid on 80 cards, but ended up winning just 1. The prices were very strong! I was cautious because of some cards being undersized or slightly wavy edges.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-20-2019 07:44 PM

Nice fat borders on Wajo

Roulette44 09-23-2019 02:06 PM

I bid on 30 or so, picked up 9 i needed upgrades on. Pretty overall set, and wish i could have snagged more but some of the prices realized made my head hurt!

Leon 09-26-2019 02:41 PM

Nice card with big borders. Just the way I like them, Congrats.

Seems the prices have been fairly stout so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by investinrookies (Post 1918297)
I grabbed the johnson psa 6, I liked the registration and eye appeal, also didn’t appear trimmed. But who knows anymore and maybe I missed something?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...da03b86312.jpg