Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Hanging in the dugout for Red Sox BP (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269049)

scooter729 05-16-2019 08:16 AM

O/T Hanging in the dugout for Red Sox BP

5 Attachment(s)
My 6-year old son Xander had the unique opportunity to hang out in the Red Sox dugout a couple of days ago, during the team's batting practice. It was a cold 45 degree day, with some showers in the area. My fears were that BP would be cancelled, and I'd have a disappointed 6-year old with me.

We weren't sure exactly what to expect - maybe a few players would stop and sign a quick autograph while scrambling back to the clubhouse. But as we took our position, we were amazed how the afternoon went.

It was basically us, plus a couple of Red Sox staffers. First player to come by was Matt Barnes, a relief pitcher. He stopped and was signing my son's ball. But as he was signing, Mookie Betts came walking by. I asked Mookie if he would sign it as well; he stopped and chatted with my son while waiting for Barnes to finish signing the ball. Mookie signed and posed for a picture.

Over the next hour, we couldn't have asked for more - Xander (my son's favorite because of the name), Pedroia, JD Martinez, etc. - all were super kind to my diehard 6-year old. (JD Martinez even pretended to ignore us, walked right by us quickly, then turned back and said, "Just kidding, guys, how are you!?" and talked to us for a few minutes.) Many stopped and talked with him, asked him if he plays baseball, etc. None of this was about money or greed or any of the other negative things said about players today - this was about them just taking a minute or two from their day, to give a kid the thrill of his young life.

Never has a 45 degree rainy day at the ballpark been so awesome as this one! Needed to share the story and some pics.

HRBAKER 05-16-2019 08:32 AM

What an awesome experience!

Republicaninmass 05-16-2019 08:58 AM

The 6 years old IN me couldnt be happier.

Thanks for sharing

scooter729 05-16-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1878162)
The 6 years old IN me couldnt be happier.

Thanks for sharing

Ted, I was pretty giddy myself as a 45 year old! The only player I think I met as a 6 year old was Bob Stanley at a Burlington Mall appearance - I can just imagine what was going through his head!

7nohitter 05-16-2019 09:54 AM

That is so cool...a great experience and memory for both of you!

AGuinness 05-16-2019 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing, that is one incredible experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dboneesq 05-16-2019 01:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. So nice to hear about the good things that professional athletes do. I'm sure that experience will stay with your son his entire life.

Nunzio11 05-16-2019 03:28 PM

Growing up in NY and now living in Maryland, as a baseball fan I have absolutely hated the Red Sox my entire life...your story and pictures have eased that hatred a little bit today. Thanks for sharing. What an experience for you and especially Xander.

clydepepper 05-16-2019 03:59 PM

Great Scott! Thanks for sharing.

Your experience is a good example of how aware today's players are (most of them, anyway) of how important it is for them to connect with younger generations.

=

frankbmd 05-16-2019 04:41 PM

If I had only had an iPhone to have myself photographed getting Casey Stengel's autograph when I was 9.

scooter729 05-16-2019 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to everyone for chiming in - I'm happy to be able to share this story and hopefully spread a positive experience to you all!

One other photo I want to share, which really to me captures the importance of baseball, possibly even more than the ones above. And it wasn't even with a Red Sox player.

As the Sox BP was ending, my son wanted to watch the Rockies take some BP. So he went to the edge of the area where he was allowed to watch, and just started watching a bunch of players hit. He had no idea who the Rockies players were, but he just loved watching these giant players hit the ball so far.

Rockies' 1B Daniel Murphy was fielding grounders and saw this, and walked over to talk to Xander. Xander was decked in Sox gear, so he obviously wasn't there to cheer for Colorado, but Murphy wanted to talk to this kid who (literally and figuratively) was looking up to him.

Murphy came over, gave Xander a baseball, and had a conversation about baseball with him. Xander is normally a quiet kid and shy around people he doesn't know, but something about this damn game of baseball turned him into a chatterbox around these players.

I have a posed picture of Xander with Murphy, but prefer this one much better, from a distance - little kid looking up in awe at a real live baseball player, who is spending some time with him.

I think I'm sounding like Terrance Mann here, but it's just something about this damn game of baseball that does it for me. Daniel Murphy of the Rockies - you have two new fans, sir.

DaveW 05-16-2019 06:02 PM

Great story Scott! It looks like your son had a great experience at the ballpark. I’m jealous.

JollyElm 05-16-2019 06:18 PM

Where's the freaking 'Like' button???

Leon 05-16-2019 07:59 PM

Great story. I might have to get back to watchin' some MLB....

Exhibitman 05-16-2019 09:04 PM

Love seeing a kid grinning ear to ear at the ballpark.

Bigdaddy 05-16-2019 09:45 PM

Good times. Your son, a ball park and time with some of the players. A dad can't ask for more.

Thanks for sharing.

Jay Wolt 05-16-2019 09:49 PM

Scott what an awesome read, thanks for posting it

Vintagecatcher 05-16-2019 11:59 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Great photos.

Nice to see that some players still get it.

That photo with your 6 year old and Mookie Betts is priceless!

Patrick

tjb1952tjb 05-17-2019 12:46 AM

What a great day......he'll never forget.

GoldenAge50s 05-17-2019 02:54 AM

WOW!What a thrilling experience!!

I'm trying to imagine how I would have felt as a 6-yr old w/ that happening to me, but I can't fathom it!!

obcbobd 05-18-2019 08:20 AM

Wow!

He has to be the happiest little boy in the world

jimivintage 05-18-2019 08:27 AM

What a fantastic experience!

commishbob 05-18-2019 08:34 AM

This brought a smile to my face, too.

Andrew1975 05-18-2019 08:35 AM

This is awesome, thanks so much for sharing.

T206Collector 05-18-2019 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 05-18-2019 10:52 AM

Incredible! As a huge Sox fan I'm so jealous. None of my 3 boys care a hoot about baseball so it'd just be me taking selfies with that same 6 year old grin. :-)

scooter729 05-18-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 1878855)
Incredible! As a huge Sox fan I'm so jealous. None of my 3 boys care a hoot about baseball so it'd just be me taking selfies with that same 6 year old grin. :-)

Exactly - I'm sure I had that same giant grin as I was taking those pictures!

Xander was pretty excited, but maybe not quite old enough to understand and appreciate quite how special it was. He does love baseball, so I'm sure these pictures will continue to grow in importance to him as he gets older. But he sure had fun telling all his friends at school about it!

As for me, I've been smiling all week as I keep thinking about this!

T206Collector 05-18-2019 11:50 AM

Next time you take him he will wonder why he’s not sitting in the dugout!

scooter729 05-18-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1878877)
Next time you take him he will wonder why he’s not sitting in the dugout!

My wife already warned me about that!!

Leon 05-20-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1878880)
My wife already warned me about that!!

It is going to be hard to top that event!!