Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bustin Babe's Barnstorming Poster (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133372)

ruth-gehrig 02-15-2011 05:45 PM

Bustin Babe's Barnstorming Poster

Ok I've got a few questions/comments about this poster. The description says it's from 1927. All the research I can uncover says on Oct. 26 1927 Ruth and Gehrig were in San Jose CA barnstorming, NOT Flint Michigan. I can't find that they were EVER in Flint. Anyone know anything different??

IF and only IF(did I mention IF):p this piece is authentic how could it be from 1927???:confused: I know there are a ton of repos out there. Was this a fantasy piece?

This is being sold as "rare and from this 1927 tour". So I emailed the seller and asked how they knew it was authentic. They replied, "the paper dates to the time period and something like this wouldn't have been illegally reproduced at the time." So I responded with, "so the paper's been tested?" and haven't heard a word back.

Thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK:MESINDXX:IT

GoldenAge50s 02-15-2011 05:53 PM

Looks artifically aged & a poor fake to me. This Seller has a world of stuff but some rough FBack also---Don't believe I'd be buyin'!

ruth-gehrig 02-15-2011 05:57 PM

So even given the age, would you expect it to not have the yellowish tint??

GoldenAge50s 02-15-2011 06:00 PM

I'm not a poster collector, just going on my gut impression at 1st look. Seems to me alot of fakes have that god-awful orangish aged look.

murphusa 02-15-2011 09:06 PM

The photo on the poster is a well documented photo. Look it up and see what the date of the photo is and it may well tell you the posters date is not what it says

oriolesbb6 02-16-2011 05:45 AM

Fake

Repro all the way.....

ruth-gehrig 02-16-2011 08:07 AM

So is it just one thing or a combination of things that scream fake? What exactly is it? I'm trying to educate myself as much as possibe so I really appreciate any input.

ctownboy 02-16-2011 10:10 AM

I am not an expert by any means but I ask myself a simple question; statistically how likely is it that a cardbpoard or paper item has survived intact for 80 or so years?

What I mean by this is the following. A sign or poster this size was most likely meant to be nailed to a telephone or electric pole, pasted on the side of a building or wall or taped to a store window. This means MOST of them would have been destroyed by the weather or damaged in some other way. Then there is the paper drives of WW II. A baseball card would be easy to store but something large like this poster would take up more space thus a Mother would be mroe tempted to donate it to a paper drive.

Finally, the subject matter. Why is it always big or well known names that survive? Why is it that these things show up on eBay instead of a major auction?

Go look at ACOFIND, fourducks, style_quest and myjunk66. These sellers on eBay ALWAYS have some type of big name poster or sign for sale (Winchester, Remington, Harley Davidson, Indian, Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc). It is funny how they have a constant stream of large paper or cardboard items of various subjects, that are at least 50 years old and in similiar condition. Then, when you do an internet search on that particular item, you see they have been reproduced or they are a fantasy piece.

David

Oldtix 02-16-2011 11:07 AM

"Fast and cheap" was the general rule for production of outdoor signs. That usually mean using stock design signs, where the images and hype were done by the tour organizer. The local printer would add the location, date and ticket information in a blank space specifically left for that information. In this case, the entire design is customized to Flint...that would be a red flag.

The tour dates couldn't be finalized until the World Series ended. The tour started on the 10th. In Flint, the goal would have been to get the signs up as fast as possible to alert the locals. The photo of the pair in their special uniforms was obviously not taken in a studio ahead of the tour; it was taken after it began. That raises two issues: (1) why wait for photos and (2) why select a photo with a third person pictured? Doesn't make sense.

Finally, if a sign is weatherbeaten, it isn't likely to have neat pinholes in the corners. Signs were usually nailed up to survive the elements, and when removed the holes would be far more ragged than pinholes. Rips and tears would be more typical in exposed posters like this.

Another of those "too good to be true" situations.

imacgreg 02-16-2011 01:44 PM

Poor Flint. First it's home to the Joe Doyle counterfeiter, then the Frankenpennant forger, and now this.

At least everything else is going well there.

oriolesbb6 02-16-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imacgreg (Post 871788)
Poor Flint. First it's home to the Joe Doyle counterfeiter, then the Frankenpennant forger, and now this.

At least everything else is going well there.

I almost spit out my gum I laughed so hard......Thanks for it LOL

khkco4bls 02-16-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 (Post 871792)
I almost spit out my gum I laughed so hard......Thanks for it LOL

bottom line it is fake. I emailed the guy stating that and to my amazement i got no response. shocking.

TommySkins 09-11-2014 10:41 PM

Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Barnstorming game in Flint, Michigan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 871584)
Ok I've got a few questions/comments about this poster. The description says it's from 1927. All the research I can uncover says on Oct. 26 1927 Ruth and Gehrig were in San Jose CA barnstorming, NOT Flint Michigan. I can't find that they were EVER in Flint. Anyone know anything different??

IF and only IF(did I mention IF):p this piece is authentic how could it be from 1927???:confused: I know there are a ton of repos out there. Was this a fantasy piece?

This is being sold as "rare and from this 1927 tour". So I emailed the seller and asked how they knew it was authentic. They replied, "the paper dates to the time period and something like this wouldn't have been illegally reproduced at the time." So I responded with, "so the paper's been tested?" and haven't heard a word back.

Thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK:MESINDXX:IT

Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Barnstorming game in Flint, Michigan.

The game was played October 26, 1928 at the old Athletic Park in Flint, Michigan.

There is a promotional poster that was on display at the old Yankee Stadium that is now on display at the New Yankee Stadium.

The link below is for that poster from my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

It promotes the game that WAS IN FLINT!

Tom Skinner

Leon 09-12-2014 07:55 AM

That's a neat poster. Thanks for posting about it Tom and welcome to the forum!!

baseballart 09-12-2014 09:58 PM

Tom: great photos of Flint sports in your Facebook album

joeadcock 09-13-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1321208)
That's a neat poster............!!

Agreed

ruth-gehrig 09-13-2014 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I need to blacklight mine! Ive always assumed it was a repo and bought it as such but never checked it. Im having trouble posting larger pics from my phone right now.

TommySkins 09-14-2014 11:18 AM

Re: Facebook pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballart (Post 1321419)
Tom: great photos of Flint sports in your Facebook album

Thank you Max. I will be searching for more to add.

Skins

TommySkins 09-14-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadcock (Post 1321450)
Agreed

Thank you.

TommySkins 09-14-2014 11:20 AM

Re: Babe Ruth - Lou Gehrig Barnstorming stop in Flint, Michigan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1321208)
That's a neat poster. Thanks for posting about it Tom and welcome to the forum!!

Thank you Leon. I will be searching for more to add.

Skins

ruth-gehrig 09-14-2014 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe Im missing something here but mine doesnt appear to shine bright white like the modern white foam backing. This is behind the glass frame because some areas of the poster are stuck to the glass. The area overhanging the bright foam board is shown however, and doesnt glow like the foam. Thoughts?