Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1955 All American Custom Steve Sabol (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=205896)

CowboysGuide 05-14-2015 03:04 PM

1955 All American Custom Steve Sabol

No intention of stepping on Bob Lemke's toes here, but I also make custom football cards. I looked for the thread that talks about this but didn't find it, so I opted to start a new one.

I've been wanting and waiting to make a football card to honor Steve Sabol for a while. I'm a huge fan of his and I hope my creation pays tribute to him and his great work with NFL Films. So, here it is...

http://www.thecowboysguide.com/misc/...abol_front.jpg

http://www.thecowboysguide.com/misc/...Sabol_back.jpg

swarmee 05-14-2015 04:03 PM

I like it; I don't know much about Sabol. When was that picture taken? Seems perfect for this series/card.

CowboysGuide 05-14-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1411175)
I like it; I don't know much about Sabol. When was that picture taken? Seems perfect for this series/card.

Thanks. I would assume the photo was taken when he was playing football in college, probably 1960-64 or so.

swarmee 05-14-2015 04:42 PM

The Heisman pose or the over-the-top background picture? It seems so un-1960s to pose like that in that timeframe. But that may be the 1980s conformist/Family Ties child in me.

CowboysGuide 05-14-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1411193)
The Heisman pose or the over-the-top background picture? It seems so un-1960s to pose like that in that timeframe. But that may be the 1980s conformist/Family Ties child in me.

LOL. The black & white background photo I chose for this card is from the first major contract Ed Sabol (Steve's father) had to film - 1962 NFL Championship Game between the NY Giants and Green Bay Packers in Yankee Stadium.

Laxcat 05-18-2015 12:57 PM

That's is really cool. I really like the 55 All Americans. Being from Central Texas I would love to see a Jack Lummus or a Bobby Layne. Maybe the background picture can have him pounding a few trademark beers before getting on the field.

Bob Lemke 05-18-2015 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great Steve Sabol card. When I heard of his death, I mentally added him to my to-do list of '55AA customs, but it never rose to the top of the pile.

I believe I'll consider yours to be sufficient tribute.

Matt . . .

Here's my Bobby Layne
Attachment 190958
Attachment 190957

Laxcat 05-18-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Lemke (Post 1412436)
Great Steve Sabol card. When I heard of his death, I mentally added him to my to-do list of '55AA customs, but it never rose to the top of the pile.

I believe I'll consider yours to be sufficient tribute.

Matt . . .

Here's my Bobby Layne
Attachment 190958
Attachment 190957

Cool. When I was a kid I was very disappointed that the Longhorns weren't represented in the 55AA's.

Hot Springs Bathers 05-19-2015 06:21 AM

If you have not had the chance to watch it, everyone should try to catch the NFL Films tribute to Steve. It is very well done and has an extensive piece on his hilarious self promotion while playing at Colorado College.

He wrote wire services and news outlets constantly promoting himself at first at the "Fearless Tot from Possum Trot" a fictional town in Mississippi. He later referred to himself as "Sudden Death" Sabol. They actually had some of his old teammates on the program and they said they loved it.

He actually made All-Rocky Mountain Conference for the Tigers.

CowboysGuide 05-19-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1412624)
If you have not had the chance to watch it, everyone should try to catch the NFL Films tribute to Steve. It is very well done and has an extensive piece on his hilarious self promotion while playing at Colorado College.

He wrote wire services and news outlets constantly promoting himself at first at the "Fearless Tot from Possum Trot" a fictional town in Mississippi. He later referred to himself as "Sudden Death" Sabol. They actually had some of his old teammates on the program and they said they loved it.

He actually made All-Rocky Mountain Conference for the Tigers.

I saw that tribute when it was first aired by NFL Network...great piece. Less than a year before his death, Steve bought something from me off eBay. The handle he went by was "Sudden Death". He purchased a couple photos I digitally colorized. I knew he dabbled in art in the form of sports collages, so I assumed they were for that. I was thrilled he thought my stuff was good enough for him to purchase. I knew he had been sick at the time, so I didn't bother reaching out to him. I sort of regret that now.

Hot Springs Bathers 05-19-2015 08:09 AM

Great story Steve! I have seen his collages, he really seemed like a neat fellow. I wrote him many years ago and he signed his Pro Set card for me an sent along a nice note.

Jeff Alcorn 05-21-2015 07:47 PM

Hi Steve,

Really nice card. I love going to your site and looking at all of the cards that you have createdand made available, especially of players that never had a card during their careers.

On the Steve Sabol card, that background picture is not the Packers @ Giants, but the Bears @ Packers. Note the Bears' distinctive rounded numerals and sleeve stripes on their white road shirts, while the Packers are wearing their home uniforms. In the 1962 Title Game at Yankee Stadium the Packers wore their white shirts and the Giants were in their home Blues with the white NY on the helmets.

Thanks again for making cards like this, it is really great to see them.

Jeff

CowboysGuide 05-22-2015 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn (Post 1413646)
Hi Steve,

Really nice card. I love going to your site and looking at all of the cards that you have createdand made available, especially of players that never had a card during their careers.

On the Steve Sabol card, that background picture is not the Packers @ Giants, but the Bears @ Packers. Note the Bears' distinctive rounded numerals and sleeve stripes on their white road shirts, while the Packers are wearing their home uniforms. In the 1962 Title Game at Yankee Stadium the Packers wore their white shirts and the Giants were in their home Blues with the white NY on the helmets.

Thanks again for making cards like this, it is really great to see them.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! As far as the background photo goes; You mean that my Google search for images of that game was wrong!? No way :D. I guess that will have to be an uncorrected error on my part. Thanks for letting me know.

Jeff Alcorn 05-23-2015 03:25 PM

Hi Steve,

No problem, love to help. I checked, and that game was played in Green Bay on 10-3-61 and I believe the picture is of Jim Taylor scoring in the 3rd quarter on a 3 yard run during the Packers' 24-0 win over the Bears. Richie Petitbon is trying to stop him, but it looks like he is already falling into the end zone. The game must be from 1961 since that is the last year that the Bears played with no "C" on their helmets and the first year that the Packers added the "G" on theirs.

There is a 27 minute highlight film of the 1962 Title Game on Youtube that I watched after seeing this post, and it was great to see a game I had never seen before. Thanks again for the nice cards.

Jeff