Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Beckett to PSA Crossover (graded to trimmed!?) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244299)

loubrown 08-29-2017 03:04 PM

Beckett to PSA Crossover (graded to trimmed!?)

How often does this happen? Picked up a Namath RC that was graded by beckett. It was a screamer but oc. The sub grades were 3, 8, 8.5, 8.5 - 4.5 overall grade due to centering being so low. Figured I'd crack it out and send to PSA. Still have the tag and image of it in the holder. After 8 days for a 5 day express submission, I get the news that there is evidence of trimming. Ouch.

Would love to hear from others on this. Similar experiences? What would you do next?

botn 08-29-2017 03:17 PM

Sorry for your experience. It is what I have experienced almost every time I have broken out a BVG slab. I just assume every BVG card is altered and pass unless I know who submitted it and the circumstances behind the submission.

Peter_Spaeth 08-29-2017 03:34 PM

Ugh.

swarmee 08-29-2017 03:35 PM

Beckett was not nearly as good at detecting trimming back when they had subgrades on their vintage cards. Crack at your own risk. You now have a nice raw card. Nobody to blame because you can't return the card in the same condition you purchased it in.

Beckett still grades "sheet cut" and "undersized" cards like the 1979 Wayne Gretzky's and 1993 UD SP Derek Jeters. Be very careful cracking out BGS/BVG cards in the future.

Peter_Spaeth 08-29-2017 04:11 PM

They have also slabbed a lot of Star BKB cards that just look hideously short to me, and I have seen lots of comments about same online. Is the issue with Jeters that they are trimmed?

Republicaninmass 08-29-2017 04:24 PM

Tried one, 59 fleer

Was bvg 8, psa said trimmed

Upon inspection, it was sheet cut

hammer 08-29-2017 06:24 PM

Lesson to be learned if you want a card in a psa holder, then buy the card in a psa holder. You will end up with a lot less problems and headaches in the end.

irv 08-29-2017 06:34 PM

:D

glynparson 08-30-2017 04:53 AM

Seems

This seems to be far too normal a practice and is why I really do not like BGS/BVG grading. Yes PSA misses some alterations as does SGC but they miss far fewer percentage wise then Beckett seems to miss. They seem to be good with counterfeits but alterations are another matter completely.

botn 08-30-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1696084)
This seems to be far too normal a practice and is why I really do not like BGS/BVG grading. Yes PSA misses some alterations as does SGC but they miss far fewer percentage wise then Beckett seems to miss. They seem to be good with counterfeits but alterations are another matter completely.

Yup and the well known card doctors know this. For the time being a BVG 8 still goes for more than a PSA or SGC Authentic.

pclpads 08-30-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer (Post 1696008)
Lesson to be learned if you want a card in a psa holder, then buy the card in a psa holder. You will end up with a lot less problems and headaches in the end.

What he said. Far too many horror stories out there of folks trying to make a $$$ score xing to PSA. :(

STL1944 08-30-2017 07:59 PM

Leave it in the holder?

Would it be better when trying to cross BVG to PSA to just leave the card in the holder?

swarmee 08-30-2017 08:40 PM

Yes, for a couple of reasons:
1) PSA won't crack it out unless it meets the minimum grade you asked for.
2) PSA may be able to detect trimming through the case.
3) PSA will also makes sure it meets MINSIZ before cracking.
4) Cracking BGS/BVG cases can damage the card.
5) Worst case is you get your card back in the BVG case or if PSA cracks it and then determines it is altered, I think they owe you something to cover your loss.

Peter_Spaeth 08-30-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL1944 (Post 1696326)
Would it be better when trying to cross BVG to PSA to just leave the card in the holder?

The reason people don't do this is that supposedly due to politics they are very disinclined to cross cards submitted in other companies' holders. So people take risks because there is a better chance of getting a raw card graded than a slabbed card crossed.

Neal 08-30-2017 09:01 PM

BGS is great for the modern, shiny card.

Touch'EmAll 08-31-2017 08:46 AM

Years ago I sent in to PSA for crossover a BVG 1951 Mays. No go - came back trimmed. Then off to SGC, same result.

Empty77 08-31-2017 03:29 PM

The only BVG to PSA cross I ever tried was a high-end HOF and I sent it in the BVG slab and it crossed straight over, BUT and this is the BIG but, it was from a hand-cut issue, so designed to be cut, and the degree of border still there plain to see and obviously checked out to my eye before I sent it...