Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Snake HOF (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217743)

mooch 02-06-2016 09:48 PM

Snake HOF

Finally, Ken Stabler is in the HOF. One year too late, but in nonetheless. I loved watching him in the 70s. Anyone else excited?

jefferyepayne 02-07-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooch (Post 1501241)
Finally, Ken Stabler is in the HOF. One year too late, but in nonetheless. I loved watching him in the 70s. Anyone else excited?

YES! Was one of my favorite players back in the day.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...50306_0026.jpg

Doesn't it seem like lots of HOFers are chosen right after they've passed away? I hate that. Dick Stanfel died last year as well and finally made it too.

jeff

Exhibitman 02-07-2016 05:57 PM

The Raiders were my team. I just hope some of the other guys from the seventies get considered and in before they are dead. Tatum, Villapiano, Branch, and so on.

Mikehealer 02-07-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1501569)
The Raiders were my team. I just hope some of the other guys from the seventies get considered and in before they are dead. Tatum, Villapiano, Branch, and so on.

I'm not a Raider fan, but I agree with you on Branch. He was the best deep threat in football for what seemed like a decade or more. I can't believe he's not in the Hall of Fame.
I think one year he had over 1,000 yards receiving with 40 something catches, he was amazing.

dclarkraiders 02-08-2016 10:17 AM

You can tell by my name where my loyalties lie. I was absolutely thrilled that Snake finally made the HOF. Great player on many great Raiders team of the 70's. Snake had ice water in his veins. John Madden tells some great stories about Snake and how cool/calm he was in high pressure situations.

I was lucky enough to meet Snake during a card show at the Harrisburg(PA) East Mall many years ago where Snake signed autographs, posed for photos, etc. He was super nice to everyone he met. I got him to sign the Sports Illustrated after the Raiders won Super Bowl XI. I will post an image of it later today after I get home.

Regarding Cliff Branch, compare his career numbers to Lynn Swann. I believe that Cliff belongs in the HOF as I look through my Silver and Black colored glasses.

Hopefully he will be inducted in the near future.

Duane Clark

D. Bergin 02-08-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dclarkraiders (Post 1501734)
You can tell by my name where my loyalties lie. I was absolutely thrilled that Snake finally made the HOF. Great player on many great Raiders team of the 70's. Snake had ice water in his veins. John Madden tells some great stories about Snake and how cool/calm he was in high pressure situations.

I was lucky enough to meet Snake during a card show at the Harrisburg(PA) East Mall many years ago where Snake signed autographs, posed for photos, etc. He was super nice to everyone he met. I got him to sign the Sports Illustrated after the Raiders won Super Bowl XI. I will post an image of it later today after I get home.

Regarding Cliff Branch, compare his career numbers to Lynn Swann. I believe that Cliff belongs in the HOF as I look through my Silver and Black colored glasses.

Duane Clark

Oh yeah, compared to Swann, I think Branch was leaps and bounds better.

Similar argument can be made between Stabler and Joe Namath.

Of course, the devils advocate argument is: If you compared everybody to Lynn Swann and Joe Namath, at least statistically, there would be about 300 more guys in the HOF, then there are in right now.

dclarkraiders 02-08-2016 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snake autographed Sports Illustrated

mooch 02-08-2016 08:06 PM

Thanks for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by dclarkraiders (Post 1501734)

Duane Clark

I wished I had met him. So, I liked your story. It's nice to know he was the nice guy I thought he was.

BTW: I loved seeing Biletnikoff in the Superbowl pregame MVP ceremony. He was another favorite of mine as a kid.