Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   shipping insurance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64018)

Archive 07-12-2003 05:26 PM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>jeremy wagoner&nbsp; </b><p>Can someone please tell me the best shipping service to use when sending a card to a grading company? Will they insure the card for a realistic value? In other words, how do you folks ship/insure your cards for grading?(assuming that some of you do). Thanks in advance!

Archive 07-13-2003 10:40 AM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>And I declare the value. I don't really consider shipping insurance all that much because I have an all-risk policy on my cards. If you are really concerned about loss in transit, ship the cards registered mail or via one of the private companies with full value declared and insured for. Or better yet, go to a show where they are accepting cards onsite and hand deliver the cards. I'd never send my T206 Wagner (the one with the blue eyes, naturally) to a grader via anything except my own two hands.

Archive 07-14-2003 12:13 AM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I usually ship to SGC via UPS. The insurance isn't all that expense. Now for the USPS, they rape you for insurance plus you have to pay for tracking which UPS is automatically included.

Archive 07-14-2003 08:50 AM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>UPS and almost always get insurance.....never a problem yet (knock on wood).....regards all

Archive 07-14-2003 10:46 AM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>botn</b><p>You can declare a value when shipping your cards via Fed Ex and they will gladly charge you for the insurance. If they were to lose or damage a package that contained your cards they will not pay more than $500, regardless of the insured value and you will have very little recourse.<BR><BR>This is from the Fed Ex page under limits of liability:<BR><BR>Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $500: <BR><BR>11. Collectors' items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collectors' coins and stamps may not be shipped. See "Prohibited Items" section.) <BR><BR>If you do not have private insurance then the only method of shipping via UPS insured or via USPO Registered Insured<BR><BR><BR>

Archive 07-15-2003 07:51 AM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>as Fedex. Only thing I've seen is that both will be more lenient and go well above the $500 on returns if you can show that the goods aren't one of a kind. That kind of makes it more difficult when they're one of a kind to confirm/establish value. Most cards aren't really one of a kind but if you have an Old Judge Hoss Radbourne at PSA8 or something, it's likely one of a kind........<BR><BR>Also, when shipping using Fedex or UPS (I work for UPS so use UPS), I always use overnight. You're going to pay more but theres less handling of the goods. Depending on the destination, ground or Second Day Air--both for UPS and for Fedex can go through numerous locations and be unloaded, sorted, and reloaded numerous times. The more times this happens, the more opportunity for damage, loss or theft to occur. I've shipped high dollar stuff routinely with no problems. I've received tons of stuff from Mastronet and all the other folks and they all use UPS. I think Mastronet has their own insurance that covers loss/damage/theft from UPS. When I consigned a large lot of cards, I shipped UPS overnight and they faxed me a rider that they took out on the shipment, so there's lots of ways to insure the goods.

Archive 09-29-2003 06:31 PM

shipping insurance

Posted By: <b>Brian Keller</b><p>UPS funds/maintains its own insurance so the employees are reluctant to make good on claims. They view the claims as $ coming out of their pockets.<BR><BR>I have experienced problems collecting form UPS two times in the past and the itmes were packed more than adequately !<BR><BR>I refuse to use UPS anymore because of the problems I've had with them making good on legitimate claims.<BR><BR>-Brian