Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best set to get a newbie started with (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158210)

brewcrewfan77 10-27-2012 04:21 AM

Best set to get a newbie started with

Hello all. I just signed up and right off the bat let me say I'm flabergasted by the amount of information I was able to get by just looking at all the posts. You all are a treasure trove of knowledge and I thank you for that.

That being said I've really focused on the memorbillia side of things and my collection leans towards jerseys and some game used items. But lately I've wanted to come back into cards as well.

I'm looking for a good set to get started with. I'm looking for a set that's available enough and doesn't get too expensive at the same time. I'd like to focus pre 80s. Looking at the choices I was thinking of beginning with the 1963 Fleer set. Due to it being a rather small set to begin with a mix of stars and commons.

Would it be too ambitious to begining with a set of graded cards? I was thinking in the PSA 4-6 range to begin with or should I go with an ungraded set to begin with? Is the '63 Fleer a good set to start or are there others I should begin with?

Thanks for the time and I hope to meet some great people and listen to their advice. Take it from me that any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a blank book and am just chomping at the bit to get back into the game.

Bocabirdman 10-27-2012 05:08 AM

Welcome

Welcome to the boards. You will find this place to be a pleasant addiction.
A Slabbed set (any one) is an ambitious project. Depending on the depth of your pockets, it could keep you occupied for a good while.

The 63 Fleer set is do-able. The checklist and the Adcock could be bears to snag. There is also a Koufax that'll cost you about the same as a week's groceries for a family of 4:D

Really, it is difficult to steer you towards a certain set. You will get almost as many "different" suggestions as suggestions.. The 60 Topps set is fun. I like the 65 also. The 54 Topps is a great issue. I would say, unless you really are set on the 63 Fleer , to flop around the shallow end of the pool. Grab something from a few different sets and see when the "warm fuzzy feeling" hits ya. Good luck with your collecting.:)

Paul S 10-27-2012 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome aboard! Mike pretty much wrote the post I was gonna write, so I'll be brief. I think Fleer '63 is an excellent choice to get your feet wet: totally underated as far as looks and cost. Also, you don't have a pricey Mantle to contend with. Happy collecting!

However, I have to confess that I am not a set collector. In fact, I am just a few commons short of completeing 62T -- I pulled them from packs way back when I was a tadpole -- but personally I don't feel like laying out bucks for cards I have no connection to. I don't even know if I'm a type collector. I have no idea what I am in this regard.

cardaholic 10-27-2012 04:03 PM

if you're looking for 1963 Fleer

I wouldn't look for graded in PSA 4-6 condition except for the top stars (major HOFers and Maury Wills) and SPs. Just get those raw.

Rich Klein 10-27-2012 05:30 PM

The other set I'd look at is

48 Bowman. Especially in the PSA 4-5 range that set should be both affordable and completable

Rich

brewcrewfan77 10-30-2012 07:11 AM

Thanks for all your help. I've decided to start with the '63 Fleer. Mainly due to it having some of my all time favorite's and the set isn't as big as some others. I plan to start small and after work up from there.

Once again, thanks for the help and I plan on sticking around giving updates on my progress and learning more from all of you. Also can't wait for next year's National as it's only 90 miles south of here and it'll be my first one.

smtjoy 10-31-2012 12:17 PM

Welcome to the boards and card collecting. Good choice on the 63 Fleer, a great set to start off with because of size and price. One of my favorite cards is in the set, the Clemente. Enjoy the ride!